Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Two-bicycle, side-by-side, quadricycle tandem

Started by Moosh:) · · Last activity · 6 posts · 8,476 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
10 May 2003
Last activity
15 May 2003
Original author
Moosh:)
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
8,476
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the "granny
    bike". My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright
    bloke's bike impossible (you should see me getting on and off my MTB 🙂 Anyway, I was thinking of 2'
    2" between the frames (leave 2" between the handlebars anyway) and I haven't a clue yet what
    Ackerman angle to incorporate into the steering (around 40 degrees between the two steering arms at
    straight ahead?) What minimum specs should I look for in the two bikes? I suspect alloy rims,
    stainless spokes, and would steel or ally frame be more robust where I clamp the cross ties on the
    headstock and rear downstays? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Moosh🙂

  2. On Sat, 10 May 2003 15:20:49 GMT, "Moosh🙂" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Apologies for the multiposting -- my poor old Agent is past its useby date and appeared to stall
    several times without posting.

    Moosh🙂

  3. "Moosh🙂" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the
    "granny bike".

    The best recommendation I can give here is to stay well away from four-wheel rigs and avoid
    home-engineering. A quadricycle brings in a whole host of compliations concerning steering control
    and angles, tyre/road contact on irregular surfaces without full suspension, respective drive power
    of two riders and turning forces, not to mention the structural security of the connecting members.

    Quoted message said:

    My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright bloke's
    bike impossible

    Look into the options of:

    - Viewpoint Tandem maybe able to set something up that meets your needs www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html
    - Greenspeed (in Ferntree Gully, Victoria) make very cool tandem recumbent trikes
    www.greenspeed..com.au/tandem.htm

    Neither of these are cut-price options - in fact a good financial arrangement would be worthwhile,
    but you will find the cycling much happier and will arrive alive.

    Cheers Peter

  4. Another view on the Viewpoint, including a semi-independent drivetrain.
    bilenky.comdaveductorarticle.htm

    You maybe able to talk to them about altered steering to provide for a
    recumbent captain, with your partner as an upright stoker. Just an idea.

    Cheers Peter

  5. Peter Signorini said:

    "Moosh🙂" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of buying two cheap ladies mountain bikes and lashing them together like the
    "granny bike".

    The best recommendation I can give here is to stay well away from four-wheel rigs and avoid
    home-engineering. A quadricycle brings in a whole host of compliations concerning steering control
    and angles, tyre/road contact on irregular surfaces without full suspension, respective drive power
    of two riders and turning forces, not to mention the structural security of the connecting members.

    Quoted message said:

    My better half can't ride a bike, and my arferitus makes getting on a permanently upright bloke's
    bike impossible

    Look into the options of:

    - Viewpoint Tandem maybe able to set something up that meets your needs
    www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html
    - Greenspeed (in Ferntree Gully, Victoria) make very cool tandem recumbent trikes
    www.greenspeed..com.au/tandem.htm

    Neither of these are cut-price options - in fact a good financial arrangement would be worthwhile,
    but you will find the cycling much happier and will arrive alive.

    Thanks for that Peter. If only I had the funds 🙂

    I'm thinking $400 max and these are over $8000.

    Then there is one tiny point. The side by side will likely get away with an occasional train trip in
    Perth, whereas these alternatives would likely not.

    I take your two major points. About four rigid wheels on uneven ground, as we are near enough to 60
    and not wanting to use anything but good paved cycle paths at gentle speeds, I suspect this will not
    be an insurmountable problem.

    The home engineering point is valid, and I usually tend to overengineer my projects. I have
    reasonable workshop facilities. I understand the braking and cornering stresses on any linkage, and
    will make this extraordinarily rigid.

    The gearing and braking will remain independent. The steering will be linked with a tie rod that I
    will finely adjust from an initial Ackerman angle that I have found for setting up three wheelers.

    There is a Canadian kit for joining two bikes, so it must work to some extent. If it doesn't then it
    can be dismantled and the original bikes sold.

    I would appreciate still any further traps or pitfalls that you or anyone can suggest. I'm sure
    there are things I haven't thought of yet 🙂

    The granny bike is here:

    thegrannybike.comthegrannybike.com

    Moosh🙂

  6. Cody said:

    "Peter Signorini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The best recommendation I can give here is to stay well away from


    four-wheel

    Quoted message said:

    rigs and avoid home-engineering. A quadricycle brings in a whole host of

    I always liked the sidecar arrangement I saw years ago in the Philippines (I think it was). Dead
    simple to build; The sidecar wheel was in line with the rear wheel of the bike so steering wasn't a
    problem and the sidecar could have a seat for one or two or used for a load.

    Not that this has anything to do with the subject.

    Of course it does, Cody. Thanks for your thoughts. I was contemplating something like that, but the
    stoker needs to bloodywell stoke, Dammit! 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.