UK and Europe · Public discussion

Two days in the Peak District

Started by Iain Jones · · Last activity · 1 post · 430 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 October 2005
Last activity
4 October 2005
Original author
Iain Jones
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
430
Views / 30 days
3
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After two years of not getting myself out there for a ride in the hills,
    yesterday I did my second ride in as many weeks.

    Two weeks ago, I did an 80-mile circuit from Glossop, over Chunal Hill, Long
    Hill, Bole Hill, Miller's Dale, Hathersage, Strines Moor, down to Holmfirth,
    and back to Glossop via Holme Moss - nothing like saving the hardest til
    last! Only a couple of days before, autumn made a sudden arival, in fact the
    day before I went was definitely wintry. I took the pannier to carry all my
    "just in case" cold weather gear, and ended up wearing at all anyway. Funny
    thing was, I stopped for lunch at a pub in Eyam, the same one I'd been to
    only a week before when I was out walking, sat outside the same pub in
    blazing sunshine.

    Yesterday was more ambitious. Starting from home in Liverpool, and ending at
    Glossop. Out to Warrington, Knutsford, Macclesfield, over the Cat & Fiddle,
    Long Hill, Chinley and Chunal. Leaving Liverpool, the city I've lived in for
    6 years, riding out on the road I must have ridden out on 100 times, I had
    to go via Tesco which I've been to about 200 times. I tried to make a
    shortcut from one to the other, and got lost.

    By the time I got to Warrington, I decided that if I was going to be going
    to these hills, I'd better get some new front brake pads. Ron Spencer's was
    the only one I knew of, and knew how to get to, only five minute's walk from
    my sisters house. I got lost, again. Then the old ones proved very
    troublesome to get out, coming out a lot easier when I removed the wheel.
    After putting the wheel back in, the brakes were misaligned so I spent more
    time re-aligning them, before realising after all I just hadn't put the
    wheel in straight......

    Because of all the faffing, I had a surprising 50 miles on the clock at
    Macclesfield, where I stopped for lunch. After all that, the Cat & Fiddle
    was straightforward and very enjoyable, much less traffic than when I've
    ridden it at weekends. Up and over Long Hill, unlike last time I descended
    to Whaley Bridge I wasn't hindered by a headwind, though halfway down a
    strange swishing noise from the front wheel turned into a clanking. Nothing
    was amiss when I stopped to check it, and it went silent and never came
    back.

    Across to Chapel-en-le-Frith and over Chinley and Chunal. I suffered. Ridden
    both in this direction before but must have blocked them from my memory. An
    earlier thought of nipping up and back down the Snake Pass when I got to
    Glossop were abandoned by now, too knackered. Except when I did get to
    Glossop, I just couldn't resist it. A few hours daylight left, what's the
    worst that can happen? I can give up anytime and ride back down.

    I made it to the summit in 35 minutes, sooooo glad I did, it's overtaken all
    others as my favourite climb. After a few minutes admiring the scenery I
    turned round and arrived back in Glossop ten minutes later - now my
    favourite descent too!

    90 miles in total yesterday, unfortunate I had to stand on the train all the
    way home, feeling wasted today, but I'd rather do that every Monday that sit
    for 8 hours in the office!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.