Two Problems on Century Ride

mseanschmidt

Aug 24, 2006
I just completed a very hard Century this past weekend. It has over 7500 ft. of climbing and the temperature was 95-100 degrees most of the day. This was my fourth Century this year and it seems I learn something from each one that makes the next one better for me. I have two issues I'm trying to figure out that maybe someone can give me their opinion or experience on:

1. Every Century this year I've developed a headache at about the 50-60 mile mark. I know, I know.... everyone is saying "simple- it is a dehydration headache." It is not dehydration! I've calculated my hourly water loss and I'm confident it is NOT dehydration. It think I have my nutrition nailed down after tons of trial and error. I'm not bonking at all during the ride. Feel VERY strong both muscularly and aerobically. I think it might be two things. Either the sun bother my eyes even through my sunglasses I might be squinting my eyes which over several hours causing a tension headache. Or, simply the HEAT! It seems that at the Rest Stops when I've gone into air conditioning the headache gets better. All my rides have been in 90 degree+ heat and maybe my body just reacts that way to prolonged heat? Any input? Also, should I take headache medicine when it comes on or is that bad during the ride?

2. On this past Saturday's Century the temperature was 95-100 degrees and the air was humid and thick. The SAG guy I talked to said people were abandoning all over the course and they had tons of medical issues to deal with. As I said above I felt really strong all the way through the finish. However, this was a first time experience, I had a hard time taking a full breath? It was if the air was so thick I couldn't get it all into my lungs. I had to take small breaths. I'm certainly not asthmatic or EVER had any trouble with breathing at all. I don't even suffer from allergies. Is this just something that happens when you try to exercise for long periods of time in such dramatic temperatures? Anyone experience this? Is it normal?

I appreciate anyone's feedback on these. I'm trying to dial-in these Century Rides and the only thing that seems to help is experience. Thanks!

mseanschmidt said:
I just completed a very hard Century this past weekend. It has over 7500 ft. of climbing and the temperature was 95-100 degrees most of the day. This was my fourth Century this year and it seems I learn something from each one that makes the next one better for me. I have two issues I'm trying to figure out that maybe someone can give me their opinion or experience on:

1. Every Century this year I've developed a headache at about the 50-60 mile mark. I know, I know.... everyone is saying "simple- it is a dehydration headache." It is not dehydration! I've calculated my hourly water loss and I'm confident it is NOT dehydration. It think I have my nutrition nailed down after tons of trial and error. I'm not bonking at all during the ride. Feel VERY strong both muscularly and aerobically. I think it might be two things. Either the sun bother my eyes even through my sunglasses I might be squinting my eyes which over several hours causing a tension headache. Or, simply the HEAT! It seems that at the Rest Stops when I've gone into air conditioning the headache gets better. All my rides have been in 90 degree+ heat and maybe my body just reacts that way to prolonged heat? Any input? Also, should I take headache medicine when it comes on or is that bad during the ride?

2. On this past Saturday's Century the temperature was 95-100 degrees and the air was humid and thick. The SAG guy I talked to said people were abandoning all over the course and they had tons of medical issues to deal with. As I said above I felt really strong all the way through the finish. However, this was a first time experience, I had a hard time taking a full breath? It was if the air was so thick I couldn't get it all into my lungs. I had to take small breaths. I'm certainly not asthmatic or EVER had any trouble with breathing at all. I don't even suffer from allergies. Is this just something that happens when you try to exercise for long periods of time in such dramatic temperatures? Anyone experience this? Is it normal?

I appreciate anyone's feedback on these. I'm trying to dial-in these Century Rides and the only thing that seems to help is experience. Thanks!
I think the heat could be a likely candidate. Even if you are not dehydrated.
Even if you stay hydrated, your core temp in that environment could be sending some warning signals.

The heat and humidity will affect your ability to breath and is harder on some people like myself. In addition, the heat can give your body some issues with regulating your proper body temp and you can get a headache from that as well.

tt1106 said:
I think the heat could be a likely candidate. Even if you are not dehydrated.
Even if you stay hydrated, your core temp in that environment could be sending some warning signals.

That is what I think. It always occurs at about the 3-4 hour mark which is the point I never train past week in and week out. So regardless of my hydration and nutrition being perfect the headache may be my body saying that it is not used to trying to regulate my body temperature for more than 3 hours like I've trained.

Thanks for the input! I guess the only way to fix the problem would be LONGER training at those temperatures to adapt my body.

Do you think it is detrimental to take Excedrin or Tylenol during the ride when these headaches come on?

Another theory is that prolonged wearing of a helmet might be creating presssure points.

jhuskey said:
Another theory is that prolonged wearing of a helmet might be creating presssure points.

Interesting! So, do you think I had the helmet too TIGHT or is it the style of the helmet that dictates the problem.

In other words, if I switched from a Giro to a Specialized, it may eliminate the pressure points being hit and eliminate the headaches?
-------

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It is extremely frustrating feeling really strong but having a damn headache bothering your performance!

mseanschmidt said:
Interesting! So, do you think I had the helmet too TIGHT or is it the style of the helmet that dictates the problem.

In other words, if I switched from a Giro to a Specialized, it may eliminate the pressure points being hit and eliminate the headaches?
-------

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It is extremely frustrating feeling really strong but having a damn headache bothering your performance!

Exactly,imagine how my wife feels.

+1 for the helmet suggestion. If I clamp my helmet down too hard it can give me a wicked headache.

My other question would be are you drinking plain water in any of your bottles? I get headaches from too much water with out electrolytes. I can't even do the 8 - 8 ounce glasses of water for a regular day thing without putting some supplement (I use NUUN) in my water or I get a fierce headache. With it being hot I would expect your water consumption and sweat rate to be pretty high. You might be sweating out more electolytes than you are replacing.

Would this Century have been the Civil War Century in Thurmont, Maryland by chance?

mseanschmidt said:
Yes indeed! Did you ride the CWC on Saturday?
Yes I did. Me and about 25 people that ride together did.We basically split into 2 groups ( by attrition) and the group I was with averaged over 18mph over the course.You might have seen us "The Bicycle Place" with red and black kits on.Our front group was comprised mostly of racers and or very well conditioned riders.What a great ride, can't wait till next year.

jjmstang said:
Yes I did. Me and about 25 people that ride together did.We basically split into 2 groups ( by attrition) and the group I was with averaged over 18mph over the course.You might have seen us "The Bicycle Place" with red and black kits on.Our front group was comprised mostly of racers and or very well conditioned riders.What a great ride, can't wait till next year.
A group of four of us did this ride as well. (The guys wearing the matching green jerseys) The heat was certainly a factor. I have done six organized rides this year that were either 100 miles or 200k in length, and this was the only one where I suffered so much from the heat.

I, too, developed a headache and upper body cramping.

The last 20 miles were easy terrain, but so many people riding at that point looked like they were going to fall off their bikes from the heat. I think the key is to cool off the core body temperature at the rest stops by dousing the head / torso with water. I think I had the early stages of heat exhaustion.

Despite all that...... it was a great ride!

Cheers!