Tyre liners

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Green, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting)
    I want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order
    please. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Michael Green
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting)
    > I want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order
    > please. Thanks.

    What size of rim?

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Michael Green wrote:
    > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting)
    > I want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order
    > please. Thanks.

    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk and http://www.wiggle.co.uk (see puncture kit section)
    - Panaracer Flataway - £10 for each tyre. Note. Kevlar is not puncture _proof_ and it must effect
    rolling resistance to some extent (despite manufacturers claims to the contrary).

    I know the Blizzard. It is more puncture resistant than a lightweight racing tyre, but if
    puncture-prevention is a major priority, I think it's worth considering thicker "touring"-type tyres
    instead of the Blizzards + liners combination.

    ~PB

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Michael Green wrote:
    > > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting) I
    > > want to try tyre liners...
    >
    > I know the Blizzard. It is more puncture resistant than a lightweight racing tyre, but if
    > puncture-prevention is a major priority, I think it's worth considering thicker "touring"-type
    > tyres instead of the Blizzards + liners combination.
    >
    > ~PB

    I've found Schwalbe Blizzard Sports to be totally fine for miles and miles. They are the red ones,
    never tried the blue ones.

    --
    ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

  5. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On 31 Jan 2003 10:43:25 -0800, [email protected] (Michael Green) wrote:

    >Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting)
    >I want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order
    >please. Thanks.

    I use this type of thing in my 'town bike'

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5850.htm

    You should be able to pick up something similar locally.

    Kind of crude, but I think they're brilliant.

    bob

  6. Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Michael Green
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting) I
    > > want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order please.
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > What size of rim?

    Tyre is 700c x 23

  7. anon

    anon Guest

    why should tyre liners affect rolling resistance ( increase)? if anything they should make a firmer
    rider and lower rolling resistance. I use some bought from Halfords and work well.
    >- Panaracer Flataway - £10 for each tyre. Note. Kevlar is not puncture _proof_ and it must effect
    > rolling resistance to some extent (despite manufacturers claims to the contrary).

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > why should tyre liners affect rolling resistance ( increase)? if anything they should make a
    > firmer rider and lower rolling resistance.

    It's something to do with the tyre as a whole being less supple and less able to roll over
    irregularities on the road. See Jobst Brandt's postings on the subject via http://groups.google.com/

    Increasing the pressure does reduce rolling resistance but that's not the same as simply having
    _harder_ tyres. Solid (non pnuematic) tyres have higher RR.

    ~PB

  9. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Michael Green wrote:

    > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting)
    > I want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order
    > please. Thanks.

    puntures are a fact of life. I noticed another after arriving home today. this is the second after
    about 600miles. I changed to a Continental Ultra Gator duraskin and although better than a
    Gommitalia they're not punture proof, nothing is. I'm considering sticking a spliced inner-tube
    inside the tyre. btw, i watched some "old-hands" changing tubes today and last week, it took a
    couple of minutes and we were on our way again, puntures are a pain but here to stay.

    davep

  10. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Michael Green wrote:
    > > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting) I
    > > want to try tyre liners but the local shops don't stock them. Where to buy mail order please.
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk and http://www.wiggle.co.uk (see puncture kit section)
    > - Panaracer Flataway - £10 for each tyre. Note. Kevlar is not puncture _proof_ and it must effect
    > rolling resistance to some extent (despite manufacturers claims to the contrary).
    >
    > I know the Blizzard. It is more puncture resistant than a lightweight racing tyre, but if
    > puncture-prevention is a major priority, I think it's worth considering thicker "touring"-type
    > tyres instead of the Blizzards + liners combination.
    >
    > ~PB

    Example of touring type tyres please! (And by the way that's 800 metres not 800 miles, last week I
    had three flats in three days, and yes I am pumping my tyres up properly, using a pressure gauge)

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Michael Green wrote:

    > Example of touring type tyres please! (And by the way that's 800 metres not 800 miles, last week I
    > had three flats in three days, and yes I am pumping my tyres up properly, using a pressure gauge)

    Conti Top Touring are top tyres, and I like Hutchinson Globetrotters (also Hutchinson Excel for
    lighter use).

    --
    Guy
    ===

  12. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    [email protected] (Michael Green) writes:

    > Example of touring type tyres please!

    Schwable marathon+, conti top touring 2000...

  13. Redshift

    Redshift Guest

    Michael Green said:

    > Example of touring type tyres please! (And by the way that's 800 metres not 800 miles, last week I
    > had three flats in three days, and yes I am pumping my tyres up properly, using a pressure gauge)

    For the Windcheetah I use Vredestein S-Licks (406 front 559 rear). 2000+ miles in 18 months urban
    commuting and riding in and around Manchester...and no punctures... Yet!

    http://www.redshift.uklinux.net/ Windcheetah No.176 Linux Counter No. 275325 *Remove Spamcatcher and
    x for email reply

  14. anon

    anon Guest

    On 06 Feb 2003 21:24:57 +0000, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Michael Green) writes:
    >

    >> Example of touring type tyres please!
    >
    >Schwable marathon+, conti top touring 2000...

    The Marathon plus is worth a look - the "tread" is very thick almost like a solid

  15. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting) I
    > > want to try tyre liners but the local
    >
    > puntures are a fact of life. I noticed another after arriving home

    Yes they are .But slime in the tube means I never notice them.Methods such as tyre liners and good
    tyres(desirable for other reasons) only reduce the number of punctures.

    At the weekend I went out without slime and got the dreaded double dose.I fixed one and cycled off
    only for the tyre to go down immediately with a second thorn I had missed.

    When I got home I got a 26" slime filled tube off an old bike and wrestled it onto the 700c wheel.No
    further problem will be expected.Why , then , do I still carry a pump and puncture kit?
    Superstition. TerryJ

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:02:43 +0000, redshift <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For the Windcheetah I use Vredestein S-Licks (406 front 559 rear). 2000+ miles in 18 months urban
    >commuting and riding in and around Manchester...and no punctures... Yet!

    I use them on the Stinger - I've had two or three visits from the p*nct*r* fairy in the last
    1,000 miles.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  17. Bert Smith

    Bert Smith Guest

    I've said before and I'll say it again. If you don't want punctures, get some Specialized
    Armadillos. I have had them on my comuting bike for 4 years, and have had no punctures in 4 years of
    ridding about 300 miles per year in London (glass, nails, etc). They are not cheap, not light and
    are not the most grippy of tyres, but they are nearly indestructable. You will benifit from a track
    pump, as they like about 120psi.

    [email protected] (Terry) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Another sodding puncture (Shwalbe Blizzard with puncture protection system 800m after fitting)
    > > > I want to try tyre liners but the local
    > >
    > > puntures are a fact of life. I noticed another after arriving home
    >
    > Yes they are .But slime in the tube means I never notice them.Methods such as tyre liners and good
    > tyres(desirable for other reasons) only reduce the number of punctures.
    >
    > At the weekend I went out without slime and got the dreaded double dose.I fixed one and cycled off
    > only for the tyre to go down immediately with a second thorn I had missed.
    >
    > When I got home I got a 26" slime filled tube off an old bike and wrestled it onto the 700c
    > wheel.No further problem will be expected.Why , then , do I still carry a pump and puncture kit?
    > Superstition. TerryJ

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 7 Feb 2003 05:29:56 -0800, [email protected] (Bert Smith) wrote:

    > I have had them on my comuting bike for 4 years, and have had no punctures in 4 years of ridding
    > about 300 miles per year in London

    You do mean 3,000, right?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Michael Green <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Example of touring type tyres please! (And by the way that's 800 metres not 800 miles, last week I
    >had three flats in three days, and yes I am pumping my tyres up properly, using a pressure gauge)

    Not a touring tyre per se (but largely owing to the lack of useless cosmetic tread), but I get few
    punctures in Continental Grand Prix and GP3000 tyres.

    Are you sure that your rim tape is correctly installed?

  20. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > Not a touring tyre per se (but largely owing to the lack of useless cosmetic tread), but I get few
    > punctures in Continental Grand Prix and GP3000 tyres.

    I agree that "tread" is useless when it comes to gripping on road, but tyres that have plenty of it
    tend to have good puncture resistance by default - because they have a few extra mm of rubber,
    through which short shards of glass won't pass.

    ~PB