Tyre Pressures and Punctures

chn68b

Jan 3, 2006
Just a quick note to all of you who cycle a lot but do not have a decent pump. Punctures can be reduced significantly if your tyres are of the right pressure, elminating pinches especially.

Well, I've been commuting to work for over a year now, 25 mile a day round trip and have had my fair share, so I finally invested in a track pump with pressure gauge.

Now, I've always pumped my tyres up to what I thought was max (guestimate), but yesterday I used the track pump and pumped until the tyres reached 110psi. Well, they're like steel, an amazing difference. There is just no way I would've achieved that with my standard pump, but I guess time will tell if punctures are reduced.

Anyway, for the sake of £15, a track pump is a great investment.

I agree a good pump is a worthwile investment, and they need not be too expensive. I have a decent floor pump with a pressure gauge that has served me well over the last few years.
I used to think that keeping them inflated to the maximum pressure (as indicated on tyre walls) was the best way to avoid flats. Well, I came across a thread somewhere, can't remember if it was cyclingforums or not, and someone suggested inflating slightly lower than max pressure. Initially, I wasn't convinced this would reduce flats, but I find that since I have lowered the pressure by about 10%, I have not had a single flat! This might be a coincidence, I can't say for sure, but so far so good! I'm quite happy to inflate at 90%. :)

ive recently discovered this myself.

I used to have a pump without a gauge and took a guess of the tyre pressure.
I got punctures all the f***** (you got it) time and it got extremely annoying. I invested in kevlar tyres and slime innertubes but it didnt make significant difference (althruogh it did help)

Now i have a pump with gauge i discovered just how stupidly out my tyres were out.

My tyres are meant to be pumped to 110 PSI (road racing bike)

Previously i had been pumping my tyres to abuot 50-55 PSI. Not even half. I had been told to be careful not to overpump - but i took it literally lol.

My pump only goes upto 100 PSI, but i have only pumped my tyres upto 90 PSI.

They are like steel now, and i struggle to get them to 90 PSI anyway. The only puncture i have had so far was (1 - i bent the pump pin slightly when pumping up which caused a slow leak: problem solved with some pliers) and (2 - a previous puncture patch found a tunnel through under to the side of the patch to cause another leak)

Both of these were solved at the same time and ive had none since.

Its amazing how much difference it can make to pay a little attention to detail.

i guess this contributes to your theory with the 90% too!