Tyre recommendation's needed

Mark Blewett

Guest
Hi,

After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
better out there?

Thanks
Mark

Mark Blewett wrote:

> After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
> pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
> came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
> better out there?

I'd say 8K+ Km is a pretty good result for a pair of tyres, and they've
just recommended themselves to you quite well if you don't have any
other issues with them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
> pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
> came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
> better out there?

You might want to consider Marathon Pluses as they're more puncture
resistant (getting on for puncture proof) but they're much heavier.

Continental Contact or (if you never leave tarmac) City Contacts are worth
a mention.

Mark Blewett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
> pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
> came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
> better out there?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

so far about 6 months or so i've been impressed with them on my old
mountain bike, my partner has the pluses on her bike which goes seems
almost puncture proof as others have said, though a bit heaver as you'd
expect.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Mark wrote:

> > After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
> > pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
> > came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
> > better out there?

> You might want to consider Marathon Pluses as they're more puncture
> resistant (getting on for puncture proof) but they're much heavier.

I've just found a nasty developing split 9about 5mm long) in the rear
Marathon on the Brommie - and its only been on since January :-(

John B

Mark Blewett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
> pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
> came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
> better out there?

The Marathon Plus are well recomended around here, I use them and like
them. Should be good for around 6,000km, I'm just passing that and they
seem good for another couple.

> I've just found a nasty developing split 9about 5mm long) in the rear
> Marathon on the Brommie - and its only been on since January :-(

Prolly caused by glass, and happened when the road was wet. If you had a
tyre that was immune to that, it'd also be immune to gripping the tarmac
:-/

John B <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
> > > After over 8000km and 2 and a bit years use, I've just about warn down a
> > > pair (mainly the rear) of Schwalbe Marathon's (700x32) that my Galaxy
> > > came with. Should I go with the same again, or is there something even
> > > better out there?

> > You might want to consider Marathon Pluses as they're more puncture
> > resistant (getting on for puncture proof) but they're much heavier.

> I've just found a nasty developing split 9about 5mm long) in the rear
> Marathon on the Brommie - and its only been on since January :-(
>
> John B

my partners bike's marathon plus are covered in them, which isn't bad as
they are a few years old now and is used most days.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman wrote:

> John B <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I've just found a nasty developing split 9about 5mm long) in the rear
> > Marathon on the Brommie - and its only been on since January :-(

> my partners bike's marathon plus are covered in them, which isn't bad as
> they are a few years old now and is used most days.

Perhaps I'll go back to using Brompton's own, then.

John B

John B <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
>
> > John B <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > I've just found a nasty developing split 9about 5mm long) in the rear
> > > Marathon on the Brommie - and its only been on since January :-(

> > my partners bike's marathon plus are covered in them, which isn't bad as
> > they are a few years old now and is used most days.

> Perhaps I'll go back to using Brompton's own, then.
>
> John B

there is a lot of tire between the inner tube and tread, the first time
i saw them i was worried but it's really no threat. and consdering her
commute quite normal, if a little off putting.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

John B wrote:

> I've just found a nasty developing split 9about 5mm long) in the rear
> Marathon on the Brommie - and its only been on since January :-(
>
> John B

I had one of those after (as far as I remember) about a year of use and
they survived another year and had split grown to about 1cm :eek:O.

Only one puncture in 2 years (pushed bike down curb with loaded panniers
onto a sharp stone), then within the last 2 weeks (last 400km or so) 4
punctures.

Strangely (or maybe good news in your case!) I can only put one down to
the 1cm split... one was down to a tack like nail on the road, the other
2 were the same cause.. and this really is strange. After time the
inside of the tyre had worn to slightly expose the "wire mesh" (for a
better description), and cause a small puncture in the tube, in both
cases I couldn't find any other reason.. and shifted the tyre/tube round
after the first puncture, and the second occurred in the same place on
the tyre.

Thanks everyone for all the tips, in the end I thought I'd try another
pair of Marathons (2006 spec), this time 700x35 rather than 700x32,
which might help with a slightly smoother/grippy ride depending on the
surface.

However now than I'm on "fat" tyres, as far as i concerned thats just
another reason to get a "light thin tyred something for the weekend"
bike... yes there is some logic there and no ones going to disagree are
they :eek:)

Thanks
Mark