U.S. bike makers aim to dominate Europe: 'Armstrong effect' gives them a boost

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory for
an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the United
States by Trek. . A few years ago, to suggest that an American-made bicycle would be used in, let
alone win, Europe's biggest bicycle races would be a little like saying that the president of
France would drive to state functions in a Hummer. . But American companies like Trek, Cannondale,
Scott USA and Specialized are trying to extend their domestic dominance of the road bike market not
just to France but to all of Europe.
--------------------------------------

Read it at http://www.iht.com/articles/123260.html

J. Spaceman

Jason Spaceman wrote:

> From the article:
<snipped>

> But American companies like Trek, Cannondale, Scott USA and Specialized are trying to extend their
> domestic dominance of the road bike market not just to France but to all of Europe.

Not enough chrome for the Italians ;-)

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From the article:
> When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory
> for an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the
> United States by Trek. . A few years ago, to suggest that an American-made bicycle would be used
> in, let alone win, Europe's biggest bicycle races would be a little like saying that the
> president of France would drive to state functions in a Hummer. . But American companies like
> Trek, Cannondale, Scott USA and Specialized are trying to extend their domestic dominance of the
> road bike market not just to France but to all of Europe.
> --------------------------------------
>
> Read it at http://www.iht.com/articles/123260.html

Scott USA is not in the US domestic market. So much for fact checking at IHT and the NYTimes. All of
the companies discussed are far from dominant in Europe. CycleEuropa has much of the market and
there are other brands,
e.g.. LaPierre, that sell far more machines than the US 4 in Europe. I'd place my bet on Cannondale
to do best in the long haul. They aren't tied to one pony like Trek. Also, much will depend on
the value of the dollar.

Originally posted by B. Lafferty

But American companies like
> Trek, Cannondale, Scott USA and Specialized are trying to extend their domestic dominance of the
> road bike market not just to France but to all of Europe.

It won't happen anytime soon. American bikes are just to expensive and tough they are high-tech, they miss that touch wich is typically European.

I'm not sure if our taste will adjust in the short term.

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory
> for an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the
> United States by Trek.

I'd be very surprised if French cyclists decided to buy American bikes because an American won
the Tour de France on one 5 times. Perhaps if a Frenchman won 5 tours on a Trek they would become
more popular.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Jason Spaceman wrote:

> From the article:
> When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory
> for an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the
> United States by Trek. .

wasn't 50% made in japan?
--
Marten

Not just a Trek but a Trek frame off the shelf. As far as I know the only bike that Lance rides that
is not stock is the one he uses on the time trials. Does any of the other racers use stock frames?

Mike. "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> > From the article:
> > When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory
> > for an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the
> > United States by Trek.
>
> I'd be very surprised if French cyclists decided to buy American bikes because an American won the
> Tour de France on one 5 times. Perhaps if a Frenchman won 5 tours on a Trek they would become more
> popular.
>

> --
> The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd be very surprised if French cyclists decided to buy American bikes because an American won the
> Tour de France on one 5 times. Perhaps if a Frenchman won 5 tours on a Trek they would become more
> popular.

Next time you're in Paris, take a trip to l'Hippodrome de Longchamp at the weekend. You'll see
plenty of Treks and Cannondales alongside the Looks, Lapierres and MBKs.

> > A few years ago, to suggest that an American-made bicycle would be used in, let alone win,
> > Europe's biggest bicycle races would be a little like saying that the president of France would
> > drive to state functions in a Hummer.

Lemond won the '91 Tour riding a Carbonframes (Calfee) bike. Andy Hampsten won the '88 Giro d'Italia
on a Huffy-badged Serotta (or Landshark, depending on who you listen to).

James Thomson

James Thomson wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd be very surprised if French cyclists decided to buy American bikes because an American won
>> the Tour de France on one 5 times. Perhaps if a Frenchman won 5 tours on a Trek they would become
>> more popular.
>
> Next time you're in Paris, take a trip to l'Hippodrome de Longchamp at the weekend. You'll see
> plenty of Treks and Cannondales alongside the Looks, Lapierres and MBKs.

I have no doubt that French riders use American bicycles. There are some Treks & 'dales here in the
UK too. There are far more Colnagos and Pinerellos though. My point is about the reasons why
Europeans might choose an American machine, I think it will be more to do with they being modern, a
little different and still reasonable value for money than being used by Lance Armstrong.
Undoubtedly though their use in Le Tour has raised their profile in the public eye, exaclty like it
did when Armstrong used a Caloi
!! Who'd ever heard of Caloi before then ? Does it make you want to buy one
?

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Brian,

How does this have anything to do with doping ? Are you starting to broaden your areas of
expertise ?

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<a9yIb.16612
> Scott USA is not in the US domestic market. So much for fact checking at IHT and the NYTimes. All
> of the companies discussed are far from dominant in Europe. CycleEuropa has much of the market and
> there are other brands,
> e.g.. LaPierre, that sell far more machines than the US 4 in Europe. I'd place my bet on
> Cannondale to do best in the long haul. They aren't tied to one pony like Trek. Also, much
> will depend on the value of the dollar.

Laudoma, you're back from your great adventure in the sporting world. There was a rumor going around
that you were dealing blackjack in Atlantic City. Any truth to that?

news:[email protected]...

MSeries wrote:

> I have no doubt that French riders use American bicycles. There are some Treks & 'dales here in
> the UK too. There are far more Colnagos and Pinerellos though.

True, but as the article said, the hardcore British cyclists will ride custom steel frames from Bob
Jackson/Dave Yates/Chas Roberts etc. Similar price to expensive American stuff but with more kudos
in club circles because (in theory) you need to know what you're doing to buy one.

Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> writes:

> From the article:
>
> When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory
> for an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the
> United States by Trek.

Gee, that had never been done before. ;-)

> A few years ago, to suggest that an American-made bicycle would be used in, let alone win,
> Europe's biggest bicycle races would be a little like saying that the president of France would
> drive to state functions in a Hummer.

The author betrays his ignorance- US built bike shave been used for many Euro wins. Greg LeMond rode
Della Santa frames painted in team colors. 7-11 rode Serottas painted with a different maker's
logos, until they switched to Merckx.

> But American companies like Trek, Cannondale, Scott USA and Specialized are trying to extend their
> domestic dominance of the road bike market not just to France but to all of Europe.

GT, Trek and Cannondale bikes have been used to win dozens and dozens of races by non-US teams
(e.g., not Postal). This is hardly a new phenomenon. Perhaps the intended audience would be totally
unaware of this.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> writes:

>> I'd be very surprised if French cyclists decided to buy American
> bikes because an American won the Tour de France on one 5 times. Perhaps if a Frenchman won 5
> tours on a Trek they would become more popular.

When I was in France I saw many Europeans riding Trek 5900s- Belgians and French, mostly.

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> writes:

> Lemond won the '91 Tour riding a Carbonframes (Calfee) bike.

Are you sure about that?

> Andy Hampsten won the '88 Giro d'Italia on a Huffy-badged Serotta (or Landshark, depending on who
> you listen to).

Hampsten had relationships with both Serotta and Slawta, so either are plausible.

Derk <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>
>> But American companies like Trek, Cannondale, Scott USA and Specialized are trying to extend
>> their domestic dominance of the road bike market not just to France but to all of Europe.
> I have yet to see the first TREK and SCOTT on the roads here. Cannondale has been popular amongst
> racers for a long time though.

Where is "here" for you, Dave? I ride mostly in Germany and Italy where Treks, Cannondales are a
common ight, especially in Italy. The italians like to buy what the pros race, it seems - they
switched from Bianchi and Pinarello to Trek and Cannondale over the last few years.... Scotts are
also coming ip strongly, their scandium and new ultralight carbon frames (designed in Germany, made
in Taiwan) get glowing reviews (germans buy test winners). I hear Scott bicycles are not available
in the US?

Martin

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:52:49 +0100, M-Gineering import & framebouw wrote:

> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>>
>> From the article:
>> When Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France in July, it was not the only cycling victory
>> for an American. As he rolled across the finish line in Paris, he rode a bicycle made in the
>> United States by Trek. .
>
> wasn't 50% made in japan?

So it is with most products that proudly proclaim to be made in the USA. This is particularly true
with computers, where no matter whether the box comes from South Dakota, or Texas, the parts inside
all come from the Far East.

Bicycles are a similar case. The frame may be made in the US, but all of the major components will
be from Japan, or Italy, or possibly France.

On the other hand; so what? People complain about how we will lose all these manufacturing jobs, but
this has been going on basically since WWII. If these jobs are really lost, then how come we don't
have massive unemployment?

A friend of mine, an economist, tried to explain to me the difference between "tangible" and
"intangible" value of commodities; how the tangible part, the thing itself, is now a small fraction
of the value of the thing. The intangible part, which seems to be design and marketing, is somehow
most of the value. I don't know, I look at a part, and, to me, it's value is in the usefulness of
the thing itself, not the packaging and marketing. But from his (the economist's) point of view, the
majority of the "value" of the product is indeed still from the US (the company that puts it
together and sells it) rather than Japan (where all but two parts come from).

The idea to "buy American" is, on the one hand, jingoistic, and on the other hand, impossible.
You'd never clothe yourself, or have any electronic appliances, ride, or drive. You could still
eat, though.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --
Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

James Thomson wrote:

> Lemond won the '91 Tour riding a Carbonframes (Calfee) bike.

Perhaps you meant '90, or was this one of the "virtual" wins?

Mark Janeba