Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Ugly Dura Ace Chainset

Started by Rik O'Shea · · Last activity · 53 posts · 2,199 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 October 2003
Last activity
25 October 2003
Original author
Rik O'Shea
Posts
53
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,199
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 53
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most asthestically
    pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and visual view
    point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the Campagnola
    designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the run of
    themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over zealous
    panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and detracts from the
    overall apperance of the bike.

    Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

  2. (Rik O'Shea) said:

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most
    asthestically pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and
    visual view point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the
    Campagnola designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the
    run of themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over
    zealous panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and detracts
    from the overall apperance of the bike.

    Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

    I agree.. pretty ugly. when trying to think of a way to describe it all I could think about was the
    Barbapoppas ... you remember that cartoon about the blobs that could change shape...

  3. An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
    anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

    Chuck Davis

    "Rik O'Shea" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most
    asthestically pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and
    visual view point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the
    Campagnola designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the
    run of themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over
    zealous panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and
    detracts from the overall apperance of the bike.

    Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

  4. It won the Tour this year............!!

  5. When I saw it in a picture the first time (not knowing it's Dura Ace), I thought it was just a new
    design for the "comfort" series with a plastic cover to protect dress slacks.

  6. No it didn't. US Postal dragged Lance's carcass to victory, not Shimano.

    Seriously people, stop buying all the hype.

    Jon

    "RUMSPEC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It won the Tour this year............!!

  7. hey I dig it.

    I always wanted one of those mavic cranks that greg lemond use to use on his TT bike, and now that
    shimano has something that looks similar, I can.

    my 2cents

    "G. Huang" <gang@removethis_bell-labs.com> wrote in message
    news:3F900B69.4040708@removethis_bell-labs.com...

    Quoted message said:

    When I saw it in a picture the first time (not knowing it's Dura Ace), I thought it was just a new
    design for the "comfort" series with a plastic cover to protect dress slacks.

  8. Visual design issues aside, I tried the new DA system at Interbike. The shifting is truly terrific.
    The new bottom bracket is pretty sane. They have also eliminated any alignment confusion in mounting
    the left crank. At least they left us a rear wheel compatibility window as well.

    See, looks ain't everything! Yeah, the cranks look weird, but they are following the XTR lead.

    Ask your local dealer about the LED lights that mount into the chainring bolt holes. Shimano is
    getting into safety equipment for 2004 and they feel side lights are a good first step. Also check
    into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2 cartridge, the same as a tire inflator. I just
    thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to toot the horn. On the other hand, USCF is
    probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety equipment for 45+ and above Masters races...

    Bruce

    "G. Huang" <gang@removethis_bell-labs.com> wrote in message
    news:3F900B69.4040708@removethis_bell-labs.com...

    Quoted message said:

    When I saw it in a picture the first time (not knowing it's Dura Ace), I thought it was just a new
    design for the "comfort" series with a plastic cover to protect dress slacks.

  9. Chuck Davis said:

    An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
    anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

    The posers may be seen to complain but they'll be riding on them next year regardless.

  10. "Rik O'Shea" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    Not terribly ugly, just too "plain Jane".

    Bill "when I pay big bucks I want something sharp" S.

  11. Bruce Gilbert said:

    Visual design issues aside, I tried the new DA system at Interbike. The shifting is truly terrific.
    The new bottom bracket is pretty sane. They have also eliminated any alignment confusion in
    mounting the left crank. At least they left us a rear wheel compatibility window as well.

    See, looks ain't everything! Yeah, the cranks look weird, but they are following the XTR lead.

    Didn't the 2003 XTR have some problems with bearing life (or was it only for people who took their
    bike off the SUV and rode it in wet conditions)?

    Quoted message said:

    Ask your local dealer about the LED lights that mount into the chainring bolt holes. Shimano is
    getting into safety equipment for 2004 and they feel side lights are a good first step. Also check
    into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2 cartridge, the same as a tire inflator. I just
    thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to toot the horn. On the other hand, USCF is
    probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety equipment for 45+ and above Masters races...

    <snicker

  12. (Rik O'Shea) may have said:

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    I can't say it's ugly from an appearance standpoint, but I don't like the implications of the
    blurbs. They seem to be saying that if you wear out the BB or fubar the crank, you have to replace
    both...because it's one unit. Looking at the crank, I can't see any place for a frelling bolt to
    attach the crank to the axle, so I guess that only the left arm comes off. (Shimano's information
    says that the FC and BB units are "one unit now, not two", but I think that should be "one part
    number, not two" instead.)

    Either way, I don't think I like the prospect of having fewer options when it comes to repairs. This
    looks like a pretty blatant move toward the "you break any part, you buy a whole new set" paradigm.
    I despise that kind of thinking.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  13. [email hidden] (Rik O'Shea) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most
    asthestically pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and
    visual view point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the
    Campagnola designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the
    run of themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over
    zealous panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and
    detracts from the overall apperance of the bike.

    Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

    Depends on the frame it's going on. If we're talking an old steel Masi, yeah, they're ugly because
    they wouldn't work with the look of the frame. But if they're going on the latest big-tubed, smooth
    transitioning carbon fiber frame, I think it fits nicely and, if not 'pretty', aesthetically
    pleasing. On the drive side, anyway. /s

  14. Bruce Gilbert' may have said:

    ...Also check into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2 cartridge, the same as a tire
    inflator. I just thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to toot the horn. On the other
    hand, USCF is probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety equipment for 45+ and above
    Masters races...

    Oh, yeah, right, I'm really going to abandon one of the brakes and over half the control in a
    critical situation, to tootle the $%^&*@! horn. Sure. Uh-huh. Bloody useless. If you're going to
    have a horn, it needs actuation capability *at* the point where your hands need to be at the time,
    *not* in a location that might as well be on some other bike. In my opinion, a horn under the seat
    is probably more of a safety hazard than the thing you might be about to run into.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  15. Chris B. bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com may have said:
    Chuck Davis said:

    An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
    anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

    The posers may be seen to complain but they'll be riding on them next year regardless.

    Not this one. Oh, wait, I'm a poster, not a poser. Nevermind. You're right, the people who've got to
    have The Latest Thing will have them, no question.

    (I'm wondering how long it will be before I see one of them shoehorned on to an mtb...)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  16. "Chuck Davis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
    anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

    Dear Chuck,

    "'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, -- that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'"

    It's good enough advice if you're a Grecian urn in a Romatic poem, but Keats wouldn't have lasted
    any longer on rec.bicycles.tech than he did as a medical student. (And it kinda helps if someone who
    knows how explains the beauty of the poem's opening-line puns about the
    still-unravished-bride-of-quietness.)

    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever," but being whapped with the ugly stick can also be a sign of
    durability.

    Being heavyset myself, I'd probably murmur something like "A bit Rubenesque?" if anyone asked me
    about the aesthetics of that massive-looking new-fangled Shimano crankset.

    But here on rec.bicycles.tech good looks ain't really the question.

    What I'm hoping to hear without exposing my ignorance is why the engineering crowd thinks Shimano
    made the new crankset so chunky, whether they think Shimano is right or doomed to scathing ridicule,
    and how the hell do you attach that blank-faced crankset to the spindle?

    Whoops, my ignorance is showing again. Darn. Better cover it up with an apropos quote about good
    looks and duck out of the beauty contest debate.

    "Politics is just Hollywood for homely people."

    Carl Fogel

  17. Rik O'Shea said:

    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
    pbase.com22335710

    Quoted message said:

    Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

    And the current "Bicycling" magazine actually raves about how beautiful it is! In the same issue
    they have a page on a Bose radio. A tabletop radio, in a bike mag? Then they show what total lack of
    taste they have by comparing it to the elegance of Campagnolo and Serotta. Bose? Bose is the Huffy
    of audio. People who have never heard Thiel, Vandersteen, Revel, etc. think Bose is wunderbar. A few
    issues ago they devoted a page to....waffles. What a great magazine. Wait, wasn't this about the DA
    crank? Yeah, that's right, I think its ugly as well.

    Tim McTeague

  18. I have over 500 miles on my DA 10 sp. It shifts sooo smooth! And I think it looks good too. The
    larger brake hoods are more comfortable. I have no regrets buying it

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Visual design issues aside, I tried the new DA system at Interbike. The shifting is truly
    terrific. The new bottom bracket is pretty sane. They


    have

    Quoted message said:

    also eliminated any alignment confusion in mounting the left crank. At


    least

    Quoted message said:

    they left us a rear wheel compatibility window as well.

    See, looks ain't everything! Yeah, the cranks look weird, but they are following the XTR lead.

    Ask your local dealer about the LED lights that mount into the chainring bolt holes. Shimano is
    getting into safety equipment for 2004 and they


    feel

    Quoted message said:

    side lights are a good first step. Also check into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2
    cartridge, the same as a tire inflator. I just thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to
    toot the horn. On the other hand, USCF is probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety


    equipment

    Quoted message said:

    for 45+ and above Masters races...

    Bruce

    "G. Huang" <gang@removethis_bell-labs.com> wrote in message
    news:3F900B69.4040708@removethis_bell-labs.com...

    Quoted message said:

    When I saw it in a picture the first time (not knowing it's Dura Ace), I thought it was just a
    new design for the "comfort" series with a plastic cover to protect dress slacks.


  19. "Tim McTeague" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Then they show what total lack of taste they have by comparing it to the elegance of Campagnolo
    and Serotta. Bose? Bose is


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Huffy of audio.

    To a regular pleb like myself, Bose is great, Emerson is Huffy.

    Quoted message said:

    A few issues ago they devoted a page to....waffles. What a great


    magazine.

    Don't read it, don't buy it, no one is holding a gun to your head. Serious cyclists usually prefer
    other cycling reading matter anyways, even if only for additional reading. "Bicycling" is for
    everyday cyclists, and does a great job at getting "everyday" people interested and hooked on
    cycling, a very noble cause.

  20. "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No it didn't. US Postal dragged Lance's carcass to victory, not Shimano.

    Seriously people, stop buying all the hype.

    Jon

    "RUMSPEC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It won the Tour this year............!!



    Word.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.