General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

UK Outdoor Pursuits Forum

Started by Blueyonder · · Last activity · 10 posts · 277 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 October 2007
Last activity
6 October 2007
Original author
Blueyonder
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
277
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey everyone,

    I'm going to be running an Outdoor Pursuits forum soon for people in the UK,
    with sections for everything from Walking and Hiking, to Camping, to
    mountain climbing, to tobogganing.
    I do need some help with this, so anybody that's got a spare 5 minutes,
    please email me or add me on msn ([email hidden]). It won't go
    unnoticed!

    Thanks,

    Matt

  2. Blueyonder said:

    I'm going to be running an Outdoor Pursuits forum soon for people in the
    UK, with sections for everything from Walking and Hiking, to Camping, to
    mountain climbing, to tobogganing.
    I do need some help with this

    Potentially helpful question...

    What will this service do that existing, established ones don't? There
    are already more web forums than we know what to do with, so folk will
    need a good excuse to visit yet another one.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Blueyonder said:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm going to be running an Outdoor Pursuits forum soon for people in the
    UK, with sections for everything from Walking and Hiking, to Camping, to
    mountain climbing, to tobogganing.
    I do need some help with this, so anybody that's got a spare 5 minutes,
    please email me or add me on msn ([email hidden]). It won't go
    unnoticed!

    Thanks,

    Matt


    Anything to do with making clothing and gear fior these pusuits?

    --
    Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
    http://www.katedicey.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  4. A quick few google searches and I've failed to return ANY forums that are:
    -for UK users
    -have a BIG range of activities
    -have a decent, easy to use, site

    "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Blueyonder said:

    I'm going to be running an Outdoor Pursuits forum soon for people in the
    UK, with sections for everything from Walking and Hiking, to Camping, to
    mountain climbing, to tobogganing.
    I do need some help with this

    Potentially helpful question...

    What will this service do that existing, established ones don't? There
    are already more web forums than we know what to do with, so folk will
    need a good excuse to visit yet another one.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. I can add a section for that.
    I take all feedback seriously, so if someone suggests something, and I think
    its a good idea, then I'll do it 🙂

    Thanks

    "Kate XXXXXX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Blueyonder said:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm going to be running an Outdoor Pursuits forum soon for people in the
    UK, with sections for everything from Walking and Hiking, to Camping, to
    mountain climbing, to tobogganing.
    I do need some help with this, so anybody that's got a spare 5 minutes,
    please email me or add me on msn ([email hidden]). It won't go
    unnoticed!

    Thanks,

    Matt


    Anything to do with making clothing and gear fior these pusuits?

    --
    Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
    http://www.katedicey.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  6. Blighter (Matt) said:

    A quick few google searches and I've failed to return ANY forums that are:
    -for UK users

    I wonder if you've researched the market that well? UK Rivers Guidebook
    is specifically UK paddling, Outdoors Magic, while not /specifically/
    UK, is dominated by UK news and UK posters.

    Quoted message said:

    -have a BIG range of activities

    There's more to covering an activity than creating a forum marked X and
    assuming a good level of expertise in that particular activity will
    appear. Fact is that X participants probably have their own specialist
    sites already and will stick with them rather than come to yours. What
    will you do that will make UK paddlers move away from the UK Rivers
    Guidebook forum, for example? Why will telemarkers move from Telemark
    Tips? For those of us that do lots of different things it's easy enough
    to bookmark each specialist forum in a folder and select "Open all in
    tabs", if we don't typically ignore web forums anyway because the
    software is so ghastly... which brings us to point 3:

    Quoted message said:

    -have a decent, easy to use, site

    Your problem there is that nobody has yet to come up with a forum system
    (at least that I've seen) that's anywhere near as good as Usenet for
    ease of use. If you do that then you could probably make a much better
    living from the software than worrying about running outdoor forums, and
    indeed I would fervently encourage you to pursue that avenue. Rather
    than one site with decent software, I'd much rather all the existing
    ones had some...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Peter Clinch said:


    Your problem there is that nobody has yet to come up with a forum system
    (at least that I've seen) that's anywhere near as good as Usenet for
    ease of use.

    Blimey, I was beginning to think it was just me.

    Long live Usenet.

    Roy.

  8. In message <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Blighter (Matt) said:

    A quick few google searches and I've failed to return ANY forums that are:
    -for UK users

    I wonder if you've researched the market that well? UK Rivers Guidebook
    is specifically UK paddling, Outdoors Magic, while not /specifically/
    UK, is dominated by UK news and UK posters.

    Quoted message said:

    -have a BIG range of activities

    There's more to covering an activity than creating a forum marked X and
    assuming a good level of expertise in that particular activity will
    appear. Fact is that X participants probably have their own specialist
    sites already and will stick with them rather than come to yours. What
    will you do that will make UK paddlers move away from the UK Rivers
    Guidebook forum, for example? Why will telemarkers move from Telemark
    Tips? For those of us that do lots of different things it's easy enough
    to bookmark each specialist forum in a folder and select "Open all in
    tabs", if we don't typically ignore web forums anyway because the
    software is so ghastly... which brings us to point 3:

    Quoted message said:

    -have a decent, easy to use, site

    Your problem there is that nobody has yet to come up with a forum system
    (at least that I've seen) that's anywhere near as good as Usenet for
    ease of use. If you do that then you could probably make a much better
    living from the software than worrying about running outdoor forums, and
    indeed I would fervently encourage you to pursue that avenue. Rather
    than one site with decent software, I'd much rather all the existing
    ones had some...

    Pete.

    Then there is the rhb group on Yahoo - Relative Hills of Britain fans of
    the Marilyn bagging fraternity

    --
    Martin Richardson
    670/1554 Marilyns - aiming for 777 71/118 New Donalds - only 40% to go
    100/211 Irish Hewitts - 111 hitts left 42/220 Corbetts - only 81% to go

  9. In message <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Blighter (Matt) said:

    A quick few google searches and I've failed to return ANY forums that are:
    -for UK users

    I wonder if you've researched the market that well? UK Rivers Guidebook
    is specifically UK paddling, Outdoors Magic, while not /specifically/
    UK, is dominated by UK news and UK posters.

    Quoted message said:

    -have a BIG range of activities

    There's more to covering an activity than creating a forum marked X and
    assuming a good level of expertise in that particular activity will
    appear. Fact is that X participants probably have their own specialist
    sites already and will stick with them rather than come to yours. What
    will you do that will make UK paddlers move away from the UK Rivers
    Guidebook forum, for example? Why will telemarkers move from Telemark
    Tips? For those of us that do lots of different things it's easy enough
    to bookmark each specialist forum in a folder and select "Open all in
    tabs", if we don't typically ignore web forums anyway because the
    software is so ghastly... which brings us to point 3:

    Quoted message said:

    -have a decent, easy to use, site

    Your problem there is that nobody has yet to come up with a forum system
    (at least that I've seen) that's anywhere near as good as Usenet for
    ease of use. If you do that then you could probably make a much better
    living from the software than worrying about running outdoor forums, and
    indeed I would fervently encourage you to pursue that avenue. Rather
    than one site with decent software, I'd much rather all the existing
    ones had some...

    Pete.

    Then there is the rhb group on Yahoo - Relative Hills of Britain fans of
    the Marilyn bagging fraternity

    --
    Martin Richardson
    670/1554 Marilyns - aiming for 777 71/118 New Donalds - only 40% to go
    100/211 Irish Hewitts - 111 hitts left 42/220 Corbetts - only 81% to go

  10. In message <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Blighter (Matt) said:

    A quick few google searches and I've failed to return ANY forums that are:
    -for UK users

    I wonder if you've researched the market that well? UK Rivers Guidebook
    is specifically UK paddling, Outdoors Magic, while not /specifically/
    UK, is dominated by UK news and UK posters.

    Quoted message said:

    -have a BIG range of activities

    There's more to covering an activity than creating a forum marked X and
    assuming a good level of expertise in that particular activity will
    appear. Fact is that X participants probably have their own specialist
    sites already and will stick with them rather than come to yours. What
    will you do that will make UK paddlers move away from the UK Rivers
    Guidebook forum, for example? Why will telemarkers move from Telemark
    Tips? For those of us that do lots of different things it's easy enough
    to bookmark each specialist forum in a folder and select "Open all in
    tabs", if we don't typically ignore web forums anyway because the
    software is so ghastly... which brings us to point 3:

    Quoted message said:

    -have a decent, easy to use, site

    Your problem there is that nobody has yet to come up with a forum system
    (at least that I've seen) that's anywhere near as good as Usenet for
    ease of use. If you do that then you could probably make a much better
    living from the software than worrying about running outdoor forums, and
    indeed I would fervently encourage you to pursue that avenue. Rather
    than one site with decent software, I'd much rather all the existing
    ones had some...

    Pete.

    Then there is the rhb group on Yahoo - Relative Hills of Britain fans of
    the Marilyn bagging fraternity

    --
    Martin Richardson
    670/1554 Marilyns - aiming for 777 71/118 New Donalds - only 40% to go
    100/211 Irish Hewitts - 111 hitts left 42/220 Corbetts - only 81% to go

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.