I've ridden Campy Chorus the past few seasons. I've acquired parts to build a new trainer and last night put it together. It's got brand new 2006 Ultegra on it.
Anyway I dialled in the gears and the FD was a little tricker than I've experienced in the past, I couldn't get a full compliment of 20 gears without a little rub here and there without fiddling around with it for about 30 minutes. Finally got it all going smoothly and without rub.
What I notice is on the Ultegra the shift from the big ring on the front to the small ring is very violent. I tap the inner paddle and it's like all the cab tension releases in one hit ... bang. The actual shift between the rings is fine technically, but the pop that occurs is a little different than what I'm used to on the Campy. Please no Campy vs Shimano thread!!
My question is, is this normal, or have I missed something in the adjustment?
Sometimes there is too much tension as well. Remember, front Shimano shifters have a "half-shift" to minimize chain rub in big-big or small-small combos. Mine dumps with a slight clunk but if tension on the cable is too high it can dump with loud bang. You can tell if there's too much tension if the paddle seems a bit harder than usual to push. Kinda depends on your definition of "violent" [img]cyclingforums.combiggrin.gifOpen ↗[/img]
What I notice is on the Ultegra the shift from the big ring on the front to the small ring is very violent. I tap the inner paddle and it's like all the cab tension releases in one hit ... bang. The actual shift between the rings is fine technically, but the pop that occurs is a little different than what I'm used to on the Campy. Please no Campy vs Shimano thread!!
Try dialing out your high limit screw about 1/8 turn. If the limit screw is tight against the shifter detent the derailleur can bind up and will shift violently as you have described.
This happens even when the limit screw is well out? If so, then either your FD is not properly aligned or your cable is too short at the anchor.
limit screw is all the way out, i've set the hight of the body to be about 2mm clear of the teeth on the big ring (with the service manual spec 1-3mm) and obviously the cage is parallel to the chainwheel. when you set the inside position it's done without the cable attached, so there is no cable tension, or effects.
it's a braze on on a cervelo team soloist, so my ability to set the position is somewhat limited. i've cleaned the inside of the mount with a file to make sure there were no burrs etc in the way.
the only thing i can think of is i've overloaded the preload on the bearing cups and effectively pulled the chainset a very small amount too close to the bb. i'll break that down and make sure it's all good tonight.
The ultegra FD doesn't have a much travel as a Dura Ace. Strange since they are supposed to be functionally the same, but they are not... I had the same experiance trying to set mine up on my Soloist also. You could try a little file work or try the Dura Ace option, which worked to fix mine.
I also agree with everyone that your cable tension might be a little high.