I just overhauled my Ultegra front hub and noticed "pitting" in the cones. The cups looked OK so
there's no need to replace the hub (requiring rebuilding the wheel). Can you buy cones (and bearings
for that matter)? I guess I could just buy a new hub ~$30 and take parts from it. Is this routine?
The hub has about 2000 miles on it.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Ultegra Front Hub Overhaul
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 13 August 2003
- Last activity
- 15 August 2003
- Original author
- Smilin321
- Posts
- 11
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 892
- Views / 30 days
- 5
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
[email hidden] (smilin321) wrote ...
Quoted message said:
Can you buy cones (and bearings for that matter)?
You can buy new cones and bearings at a good LBS.
I recently had to buy an XT cone; I had to call around to a few shops before finding one that had
the right cone in stock. Make sure to bring your cone (or better yet the whole hub) to the LBS
because the many cones can be slightly different sizes.Michael
-
I had the same problem recently. After checking several LBS's close to me, I ended up (as usual) at
Harris Cyclery (also close) which had them on hand. I believe they are orderable via the online
store as well. Should be ~$5.www.harriscyclery.net
"Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
[email hidden] (smilin321) wrote ...
Quoted message said:
Can you buy cones (and bearings for that matter)?
You can buy new cones and bearings at a good LBS.
I recently had to buy an XT cone; I had to call around to a few shops before finding one that had
the right cone in stock. Make sure to bring your cone (or better yet the whole hub) to the LBS
because the many cones can be slightly different sizes.Michael
-
[email hidden] (smilin321) wrote in news:c1ff4767.0308130652.9b192 @posting.google.com:
Quoted message said:
I just overhauled my Ultegra front hub and noticed "pitting" in the cones. The cups looked OK so
there's no need to replace the hub (requiring rebuilding the wheel). Can you buy cones (and
bearings for that matter)? I guess I could just buy a new hub ~$30 and take parts from it. Is this
routine? The hub has about 2000 miles on it.Look up the part #s here:
bike.shimano.comindex.aspOpen ↗
Order parts here:
loosescrews.comloosescrews.comOpen ↗
Good luck,
- Boyd S.
-
Sure. Go to your LBS (Local Bike Shop, so you'll know when you see it again), and tell them what you
need and what you have.If they don't have cones by themselves, you may have to buy an axle set (axle, cones, washers and
locknuts).A couple of dollors max.
May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": geocities.comczcornerOpen ↗
-
I saw them at Harris but it says on their site that they can't do mail order on those items
because of Shimano regulations. I've been searchin' the web with no luck. Time to get out the
yellow pages and do the LBS phone search. (Not a lot of luck in the past with this technique).
They could probably special order it though. Anyone know what size bearings go in Ultegra hubs
(front and rear)?"KBH" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<1060796211.876596@sj-nntpcache-3>...
Quoted message said:
I had the same problem recently. After checking several LBS's close to me, I ended up (as usual)
at Harris Cyclery (also close) which had them on hand. I believe they are orderable via the online
store as well. Should be ~$5.www.harriscyclery.net
"Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
[email hidden] (smilin321) wrote ...
Quoted message said:
Can you buy cones (and bearings for that matter)?
You can buy new cones and bearings at a good LBS.
I recently had to buy an XT cone; I had to call around to a few shops before finding one that
had the right cone in stock. Make sure to bring your cone (or better yet the whole hub) to the
LBS because the many cones can be slightly different sizes.Michael
-
smilin321 said:
I saw them at Harris but it says on their site that they can't do mail order on those items
because of Shimano regulations.Quality Bicycle Products puts that on their linked Web pages, but there's no enforcement behind it,
and we're glad to sell Shimano parts anywhere.Sheldon "Don't Believe Everything You Read" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
| All great truths begin as blasphemies. | --G. B. Shaw |
+--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.comOpen ↗ Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
captainbike.comcaptainbike.comOpen ↗ sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.comOpen ↗ -
I feel compelled to elaborate on my plug for Harris Cyclery, as I think my story is typical. The
only reason I called Harris last is proximity.- Call reputable bikeshop #1 and ask for an Ultegra front cone. They say they have a drawer full and
I have to come in. Get there, find a mechanic who knows what a cone is, and after 10 minutes of
searching they don't have
it.- Call reputable bikeshop #2 and ask for an Ultegra front cone. They say "I think we have to special
order a kit or something".- Call Harris Cyclery and ask for an Ultegra front cone. "What vintage? The one with the built-in
dust cap? Got it."The reason Harris is perhaps the best LBS anywhere is largely due to their knowledgeable and
courteous staff, but also important is the fact that as a mail order operation they can stock far
more parts than a typical LBS. And you can get a hell of a barbeque sandwich right next door.Kyle
"smilin321" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I saw them at Harris but it says on their site that they can't do mail order on those items
because of Shimano regulations. I've been searchin' the web with no luck. Time to get out the
yellow pages and do the LBS phone search. (Not a lot of luck in the past with this technique).
They could probably special order it though. Anyone know what size bearings go in Ultegra hubs
(front and rear)?"KBH" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<1060796211.876596@sj-nntpcache-3>...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I had the same problem recently. After checking several LBS's close to
me,Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I ended up (as usual) at Harris Cyclery (also close) which had them on
hand.Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
I believe they are orderable via the online store as well. Should be
~$5.Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
www.harriscyclery.net"Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
[email hidden] (smilin321) wrote ...
> Can you buy cones (and bearings for that matter)?You can buy new cones and bearings at a good LBS.
I recently had to buy an XT cone; I had to call around to a few shops before finding one that
had the right cone in stock. Make sure to bring your cone (or better yet the whole hub) to the
LBS because the many cones can be slightly different sizes.Michael
-
smilin-<< I just overhauled my Ultegra front hub and noticed "pitting" in the cones. The cups looked
OK so there's no need to replace the hub (requiring rebuilding the wheel). Can you buy cones (and
bearings for that matter)? >><BR><BR>Sure, just go to a bike shop-about $6 per cone and bearings also...it's what they do...
Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.comOpen ↗ "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene" -
KBH said:
And you can get a hell of a barbeque sandwich right next door.
Intriguing....tell me more about this sandwich.
I keep finding more reasons that it would be cool to visit Harris, and I only live probably an hour
away. Yet, I need an excuse to go; something that I need to buy there.Maybe my excuse can be that I hope Sheldon can identify that old Peugeot that I rescued and maybe
tell me what parts will fit and what sizes I'll need...Quoted message said:
Kyle
--
Rick Onanian -
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
And you can get a hell of a barbeque sandwich right next door.
Intriguing....tell me more about this sandwich.
blueribbonbbq.comdefault.htmOpen ↗
The platters are really the way to go, if you can find a place to sit down and eat.
Quoted message said:
I keep finding more reasons that it would be cool to visit Harris, and I only live probably an
hour away. Yet, I need an excuse to go; something that I need to buy there.Maybe my excuse can be that I hope Sheldon can identify that old Peugeot that I rescued and maybe
tell me what parts will fit and what sizes I'll need...Just browse around the website, and find 2 or 3 things you 'need' and can only get there. That's
usually enough for me to get there (not far, but difficult in traffic). I enjoy just looking at the
Rivendells, Herons, Habanero's, fixies, and other cool bikes they have. They're expanding I believe,
so perhaps more cool bikes in stock?Kyle
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.