The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
(broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.
I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
yet.
Any ideas? pointers? etc.
Much appreciated.
P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.