General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ultimate Tater Tot Hotdish

Started by Lynn from Fargo · · Last activity · 7 posts · 831 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 February 2005
Last activity
5 February 2005
Original author
Lynn from Fargo
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
831
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sheeeesh! I HATE it that I can't just use "reply" on this computer.
    Regarding Ms. Schaller and her quest for Tater Tot Hotdish - I, too,
    was on a quest. My mother never made it but it was always what I made a
    beeline for at any pot luc. I looked up a dozen recipes and took what
    I liked and made this up. It is advanced comfort food: high fat, high
    carb, high sodium, highly satisfying!

    Ultimate Tater Tot Hotdish
    Spray a 9" by 13" cake pan or casserole with no-stick stuff.
    Layer in the following ingredients in this order:
    2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained
    2 pounds hamburger, cooked and drained
    1/2 package of dry onion soup mix
    1 can French fried onions
    2 cans cream of whatever soup mixed with 1 small can evaporated milk
    Slices of American cheese (the sandwich kind)
    Tater Tots to cover (I line 'em up neatly.)

    Bake at 350° about 45 minutes or until Tater Tots look really done.
    Serves at least eight with leftovers.

    Lynn from Fargo

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lynn from Fargo said:

    Sheeeesh! I HATE it that I can't just use "reply" on this computer.
    Regarding Ms. Schaller and her quest for Tater Tot Hotdish - I, too,
    was on a quest. My mother never made it but it was always what I made a
    beeline for at any pot luc. I looked up a dozen recipes and took what
    I liked and made this up. It is advanced comfort food: high fat, high
    carb, high sodium, highly satisfying!

    Ultimate Tater Tot Hotdish
    Spray a 9" by 13" cake pan or casserole with no-stick stuff.
    Layer in the following ingredients in this order:
    2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained
    2 pounds hamburger, cooked and drained
    1/2 package of dry onion soup mix
    1 can French fried onions
    2 cans cream of whatever soup mixed with 1 small can evaporated milk
    Slices of American cheese (the sandwich kind)
    Tater Tots to cover (I line 'em up neatly.)

    <cough> you didn't like how I dumped mine on top of my mess-in-a-pan?
    Sheryl commented on my board that she'd have used more Tater Tots; I
    deliberately didn't because I knew what we'd eat and didn't want
    leftover soggy Tater Tots.
    (mumblelines'emupmumbleneatlymumbleindeedmumblemumble>

    And let me add that with the addition of the cheese and evaporated milk,
    I believe your concoction is less healthful than mine. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Serves at least eight with leftovers.

    Quoted message said:

    Lynn from Fargo


    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
    "I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
    Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Melba's Jammin said:

    <cough> you didn't like how I dumped mine on top of my mess-in-a-pan?
    Sheryl commented on my board that she'd have used more Tater Tots; I
    deliberately didn't because I knew what we'd eat and didn't want
    leftover soggy Tater Tots.
    (mumblelines'emupmumbleneatlymumbleindeedmumblemumble>

    Definitely would need more tater tots for our family.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Sonoma State University
    AIS
    [email hidden]

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Dan Abel) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Melba's Jammin said:

    <cough> you didn't like how I dumped mine on top of my mess-in-a-pan?
    Sheryl commented on my board that she'd have used more Tater Tots; I
    deliberately didn't because I knew what we'd eat and didn't want
    leftover soggy Tater Tots.
    (mumblelines'emupmumbleneatlymumbleindeedmumblemumble>

    Definitely would need more tater tots for our family.

    I'll bite -- how many are you, Dan?
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
    "I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
    Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

  5. Barb -
    I posted mine before I saw yours. I was certainly not casting
    aspersions (or asparagus) on your noble effort. Also, my version IS
    health food . . .MENTAL health food.

    Ever your humble apprentice,
    Lynn from Fargo

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] (Dan Abel) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Definitely would need more tater tots for our family.

    I'll bite -- how many are you, Dan?

    We wish we knew!

    :-(

    When it's time to cook we never know how many to cook for. There's
    myself, my wife and our three grown kids, all of whom live at home. The
    oldest has a girlfriend and a sleepover job, so he's gone a lot. The
    middle child has a habit of asking what's for dinner and when, and then
    taking off ten minutes before it's served. The youngest is a vegetarian,
    so none of this dish for her. Still, even if just my wife and I ate this,
    we would want a higher tater tot to meat ratio, otherwise there would be
    meat but no tater tots for the leftovers, which I would take to work for
    lunch.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Sonoma State University
    AIS
    [email hidden]

  7. Dan Abel wrote:
    (snip)

    Still, even if just my wife and I ate this,

    Quoted message said:

    we would want a higher tater tot to meat ratio, otherwise there would


    be

    Quoted message said:

    meat but no tater tots for the leftovers, which I would take to work


    for

    Quoted message said:

    lunch.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Sonoma State University
    AIS
    [email hidden]


    =================================

    Dan,
    This recipe makes a casserole that "settles" and the next day you can
    cut it into squares like lasagna. It transports well, nukes beautifully
    and tastes better the second day.
    Lynn from Fargo
    PS: You may substitute and cream soup you wish - celery is great - and
    use any vegetable you like, canned or frozen. I cannot abide canned
    peas, but whole kernel corn is good and brocolli cuts would probably
    work too. Maybe not beets.
    ˜

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.