General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Unexpected bone of contention

Started by Otis B. Driftwood · · Last activity · 17 posts · 787 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 June 2005
Last activity
3 July 2005
Original author
Otis B. Driftwood
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
787
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Politically active newsgroup readers might know I also contribute to a
    newsgroup called seattle.politics. I have said so before. Today, I
    learned that two contributors to that newsgroup, who, I assume, are
    American, apparently don't hold the beliefs expressed in the first
    paragraphs of the US Declaration of Independence. Here is that text:

    " When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one
    people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with
    another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and
    equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle
    them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they
    should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
    equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
    Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of
    Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted
    among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the
    governed, ..."

    These lines express a philosophical view that is fundamental to my
    own. These lines express beliefs that I hold. I don't hold these
    beliefs because I was indoctrinated with them. I have examined them,
    several times, and I have decided that I do believe them, because
    their meaning resonates with me. That is all I can say about that.

    So I asked those two other contributors to explain what they do
    believe, given that they don't believe what is expressed above. Of
    course they can believe whatever they believe. I just think it is
    interesting, and important, to hear what other people hold as their
    true foundational beliefs. One of the two has not responded yet. The
    one who responded seems to be trying to avoid actually nailing down
    what he does believe. I don't understand that. I think it is important
    to know what you actually do believe.

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what happens.
    If you don't hold the philosophical view expressed in the US
    Declaration of Independence, what philosophical view do you hold
    instead? Note that one need not be American to hold the view expressed
    in the DOI. There is nothing American about it, but the DOI is one of
    the foundational documents about what America means. Well, that's what
    it's supposed to be about anyway.

    So, if you don't believe that bit about the self-evident truths, what
    do you believe instead?

  2. Otis B. Driftwood said:

    what do you believe instead?

    That this post belongs in Seattle.politics, or whatever.

  3. Man o' Tea said:
    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    what do you believe instead?

    That this post belongs in Seattle.politics, or whatever.

    See, that's what I'm talking about. You would rather [censored] about
    something than examine the issue. The fact that this is a swimming
    newsgroup is trivial, but you [censored] about my posting the question here
    anyway. That's part of the problem I'm seeing.

  4. Otis B. Driftwood wrote:

    .... [censored] ... [censored] ...

  5. "Otis B. Driftwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Man o' Tea said:
    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    what do you believe instead?

    That this post belongs in Seattle.politics, or whatever.

    See, that's what I'm talking about. You would rather [censored] about
    something than examine the issue. The fact that this is a swimming
    newsgroup is trivial,

    Your opinion of our existence as a forum for swimming-related discussion is
    no surprise.

    Quoted message said:

    but you [censored] about my posting the question here
    anyway. That's part of the problem I'm seeing.

    Actually, no. You are trolling in the hope of involving people in an
    unrelated newsgroup.

    Would all readers of rec.sport.swimming please examine the message headers
    and note that Martin W. Smith, aka Otis B. Driftwood, aka Duke Kahanamoku,
    has placed the same post in both newsgroups SEPERATELY, i.e. one in
    rec.sport.swimming and one in seattle.politics.

    It may well be that the level of open derision there is something he hope to
    avoid by posting seperately in rec.sport.swimming. If you do wish to
    respond you should do so in seattle.politics.

  6. [email hidden] (Otis B. Driftwood) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what
    happens.

    Why?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | [email hidden]

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    Politically active newsgroup readers might know I also contribute to a
    newsgroup called seattle.politics.

    For me it's mostly math newsgroups.

    Quoted message said:

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what happens.
    If you don't hold the philosophical view expressed...

    Say, I didn't get any response over in sci.math; does anyone here
    know the integral of e^x sin(x^2) ? Just thought I'd bring it up...

    dave

  8. 8/3 * pi

  9. On 6/30/05 6:01 PM, in article [email hidden], "Bert

    Hyman said:

    [email hidden] (Otis B. Driftwood) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what
    happens.

    Why?

    To learn what the people here think.

    Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

  10. (Dave Rusin) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    Politically active newsgroup readers might know I also contribute to a
    newsgroup called seattle.politics.

    For me it's mostly math newsgroups.

    Quoted message said:

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what happens.
    If you don't hold the philosophical view expressed...

    Say, I didn't get any response over in sci.math; does anyone here
    know the integral of e^x sin(x^2) ? Just thought I'd bring it up...

    I used to be able to do integrals, but now I would have to give you a
    faith based answer.

  11. Otis B. Driftwood said:

    I used to be able to do integrals, but now I would have to give you a
    faith based answer.

    Now that was funny!

  12. Sherwood Shark said:
    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    I used to be able to do integrals, but now I would have to give you a
    faith based answer.

    Now that was funny!

    I like that, too.
    Some integrals just weren't designed intelligently.

    rtk

  13. Sherwood Shark said:
    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    I used to be able to do integrals, but now I would have to give you a
    faith based answer.

    Now that was funny!

    I like that, too.
    Some integrals just weren't designed intelligently.

    rtk

  14. "Otis B. Driftwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Politically active newsgroup readers might know I also contribute to a
    newsgroup called seattle.politics. I have said so before. Today, I
    learned that two contributors to that newsgroup, who, I assume, are
    American, apparently don't hold the beliefs expressed in the first
    paragraphs of the US Declaration of Independence. Here is that text:

    Welcome back, Martin.

  15. "Office 2004 Test Drive User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 6/30/05 6:01 PM, in article [email hidden],


    "Bert

    Quoted message said:
    Hyman said:

    [email hidden] (Otis B. Driftwood) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what
    happens.

    Why?

    To learn what the people here think.

    People here think it doesn't belong here.

  16. Thanks to all of you who answered my question, especially jtailor.
    Your answers were kind of what I expected.

    Otis B. Driftwood said:

    Politically active newsgroup readers might know I also contribute to a
    newsgroup called seattle.politics. I have said so before. Today, I
    learned that two contributors to that newsgroup, who, I assume, are
    American, apparently don't hold the beliefs expressed in the first
    paragraphs of the US Declaration of Independence. Here is that text:

    " When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one
    people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with
    another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and
    equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle
    them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they
    should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
    equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
    Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of
    Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted
    among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the
    governed, ..."

    These lines express a philosophical view that is fundamental to my
    own. These lines express beliefs that I hold. I don't hold these
    beliefs because I was indoctrinated with them. I have examined them,
    several times, and I have decided that I do believe them, because
    their meaning resonates with me. That is all I can say about that.

    So I asked those two other contributors to explain what they do
    believe, given that they don't believe what is expressed above. Of
    course they can believe whatever they believe. I just think it is
    interesting, and important, to hear what other people hold as their
    true foundational beliefs. One of the two has not responded yet. The
    one who responded seems to be trying to avoid actually nailing down
    what he does believe. I don't understand that. I think it is important
    to know what you actually do believe.

    So I thought I would ask the same question here and see what happens.
    If you don't hold the philosophical view expressed in the US
    Declaration of Independence, what philosophical view do you hold
    instead? Note that one need not be American to hold the view expressed
    in the DOI. There is nothing American about it, but the DOI is one of
    the foundational documents about what America means. Well, that's what
    it's supposed to be about anyway.

    So, if you don't believe that bit about the self-evident truths, what
    do you believe instead?

  17. "Otis B. Driftwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks to all of you who answered my question, especially jtailor.
    Your answers were kind of what I expected.

    If so (the answers were essentially "don't post this here"😉, why did you
    post this here?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.