rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Unicycle for beginners that will last

Started by Mike Roberts · · Last activity · 15 posts · 376 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
3 November 2004
Last activity
4 November 2004
Original author
Mike Roberts
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
376
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ok so I'm completely new to unicycling, and want to start. The first
    step, obviously, is to get a unicycle, but this is where I get stuck. I
    was looking around for information, but couldn't find what I really
    wanted, so I decided to post what I need here. If you have any advice,
    I'd really appreciate it, or if you know where I can go to find out. So
    here's what I'm looking for:

    1) Easy to learn on--this is my first unicycle, and I don't want a
    really hard to balance one. If this precludes satisfying my other
    criteria, I'm willing to get a harder one and take longer to learn. In
    other words, an easy one would be good, but it's not necessary.

    2) Long-lasting and cheap--I'm soon going to enter college, so money is
    going to be tight for a while. I need to be able to get a unicycle that
    will last through a few years of riding, and will still be appropriate
    for my skill level in a few years.

    3) Not too slow--I am planning on using it to get around, so I need
    something that won't take too long to get there. It seems like I should
    maybe get a 26" wheel for this reason. Also, I'm a rabid mountain
    biker, so does anyone know offhand approximate conversions to gear
    ratios, just so I can get a feel for wheel size and what it will feel
    like riding?

    4) Strong--I don't plan on doing much serious trail riding, but I'd like
    to be able to ride on things other than roads, and I would like it to be
    able to take a little abuse and survive.

    I realize that I have just asked for the perfect unicycle, but if anyone
    has any comments or suggestions they would be great

    Thanks
    Mike Roberts

  2. As you are an adult, and you didn't say you are short, then a 26
    should be OK to learn on. Not AS easy as learning on a 20 but doable. I
    would recomend putting a slick tyre on it learn with tho! A 26 with a
    slick will also be pretty good as transport and if you change the tyre
    to a knobbly you can tackle the stuff you do on a MTB once you have
    mastered the basics.

    As for model or brand,where are you in the world? the models avalible
    in the US may not be easy or cheap to get in Europe and vis versa.

    SArah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  3. sarah.miller said:

    As you are an adult, and you didn't say you are short, then a 26
    should be OK to learn on.


    I'm about 6'0"

    Quoted message said:

    Not AS easy as learning on a 20 but doable.


    That's fine I dont mind working harder at the beginning

    Quoted message said:

    I would recomend putting a slick tyre on it learn with tho! A 26 with a
    slick will also be pretty good as transport and if you change the tyre
    to a knobbly you can tackle the stuff you do on a MTB once you have
    mastered the basics.

    Quoted message said:

    As for model or brand,where are you in the world? the models avalible
    in the US may not be easy or cheap to get in Europe and vis versa.


    US; Atlanta, GA. I don't really know about any unicycle stores, though,
    I'd probably be buying it online, and then I'd probably just have to pay
    more for shipping

    thanks
    mike

  4. Mike Roberts said:
    *sarah.miller said:

    As for model or brand,where are you in the world? the models


    avalible

    Quoted message said:

    in the US may not be easy or cheap to get in Europe and vis versa.


    US; Atlanta, GA. I don't really know about any unicycle stores,
    though, I'd probably be buying it online, and then I'd probably just
    have to pay more for shipping
    *

    You don't know how lucky you are for where you live. You have the
    biggest unicycle store in the world on your door step.

    http://www.unicycle.com/About.asp

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  5. Mike Roberts said:

    *
    US; Atlanta, GA. I don't really know about any unicycle stores,
    though,
    I'd probably be buying it online, and then I'd probably just have to
    pay more for shipping
    *

    Hot diggidy, if you live in Atlanta, you can just stroll on down to
    'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.com/About.asp) . They have a very
    wide selection of unicycles in all ranges and they welcome visitors
    (although I've never had the honor of going there myself).

    If you still want us to give you advice, please give us your price
    range. Right now, I think the Torker DX24 might be right for you. It's
    a 24 inch, so it's not quite as large a what you want, but it's about
    the strongest uni for the money.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  6. daino149 said:

    Hot diggidy, if you live in Atlanta, you can just stroll on down to
    'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.com/About.asp) . They have a very
    wide selection of unicycles in all ranges and they welcome visitors
    (although I've never had the honor of going there myself).

    Oh wow that's awesome I'll be sure to check it out

    Quoted message said:

    If you still want us to give you advice, please give us your price
    range. Right now, I think the Torker DX24 might be right for you. It's
    a 24 inch, so it's not quite as large a what you want, but it's about
    the strongest uni for the money.

    I don't have any definite price range, but probably could spend up to
    about $300. Cheaper is much better, though, if its possible

  7. Mike Roberts said:

    *3) Not too slow--I am planning on using it to get around, so I need
    something that won't take too long to get there. It seems like I
    should
    maybe get a 26" wheel for this reason. Also, I'm a rabid mountain
    biker, so does anyone know offhand approximate conversions to gear
    ratios, just so I can get a feel for wheel size and what it will
    feel
    like riding?*

    You'll need to account for crank length and wheel size to relate bicycle
    gear ratios to unicycle ratios. The best way I can think to do this is
    to compare the circumference a pedal travels to the circumference the
    wheel edge travels.

    For a typical mountain bike with 26" wheels, 175mm cranks, and a 2:1
    gear ratio, the cranks travel pi * 2 * 175mm / 25.4mm/in = 43.3" in one
    revolution, for which the wheel travels 2 revolutions. So the wheel
    covers pi * 26in * 2 = 163.4" for one revolution of the pedals. This
    means ever inch of pedal motion results in 163.4 / 43.3 = 3.77 inches of
    forward motion.

    Now, you could divide the wheel diameter of your unicycle by the 2 times
    the crank length to find the wheel-to-pedal inch ratio and compare it to
    3.77.

    Keep in mind that this comparison is not perfect. The biggest problem I
    see is that the required force to turn the cranks is greatly dependent
    on where they are in a revolution. So if you're comparing largely
    different crank sizes, this comparison starts to break down. Also,
    bicycles with freewheels feel significantly different than fixed gear
    bikes with the same ratio, and I'm assuming you're not riding a fixed
    gear mountain bike (although some do).

    --
    phlegm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  8. I bought my Torker DX24 about 6 months ago on ebay for $150 brand new
    from a guy who had a high positive feedback rating. It seems pretty
    bomb proof to me. I'm 6'0'' and 200 lbs.

    As for easy to balance; heck, if any of 'em where easy to balance
    everybody would ride. Typical wisdom is that the smaller the wheel
    diameter the easier it is to learn since for any one revolution of the
    pedals the distance travelled is less, thus easier to control. I
    started on a 20" and got the 24" only a little later and really didn't
    notice much difference.

    As for a correlation to mtn. bike gears there have been a couple of
    really good threads on gearing and tire diameter on this forum in the
    past couple of months. Try searching for them.

    Good luck and welcome.😄

    --
    underdog - level 1 rider

    'it isn't stealing if I wasn't going to buy it anyway'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080


  9. Quoted message said:

    I don't -plan- on doing much serious trail riding,

    You will once you get a feel for this.

    --
    Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

    "Cyclists of the world unite!
    You have nothing to lose but your other wheel!"

    ~Owen Kirby

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  10. Riding a unicycle is not about balance, it's about determination. Don't
    worry about which unicycle is easy to "balance" because they can all be
    made to feel about the same by changing crank length, tire pressure,
    etc.

    Since you live in Atlanta, drive through the nightmarish traffic to
    Marietta and go to unicycle.com. Tell them what you want and can afford
    and they will fix you up on the spot.

    Torker, as underdog says, makes excellent beginner unicycles. The
    UniStar DX series is particularly tough, even with a tapered hub instead
    of the more expensive splined hub.

    --
    harper - Riding a Fat

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  11. i recommend getting a 24" torker mountain uni. You dont have to get a
    regualr unicycle just cuz you are starting out...get a good one so when
    you get good you can do trials and muni and stuff like that.

    --
    AllThingsUni - learn to glide....its fun

    I own
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AllThingsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8306
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  12. harper said:

    *Torker, as underdog says, makes excellent beginner unicycles. The
    UniStar DX series is particularly tough, even with a tapered hub
    instead of the more expensive splined hub. *


    The LX is the square taper "stealth torker", approx. $100. The DX has
    the splined hub and is the bomb-proof freestyle, approx $200. Stay away
    from the CX (chrome) with the kiddie seat.

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve

    You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. - C.
    S. Lewis

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  13. and I don't want a really hard to balance one.

    sorry, they are all hard to balance

    --
    unijuggler - TOTAL NEWBIE

    i should have eaten my wheaties

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unijuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7513
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36080

  14. Mike Roberts said:

    1) Easy to learn on--this is my first unicycle, and I don't want a
    really hard to balance one. If this precludes satisfying my other
    criteria, I'm willing to get a harder one and take longer to learn. In
    other words, an easy one would be good, but it's not necessary.

    A 20" wheel is easiest to learn on, but it conflicts with your "not
    too slow" requirement, and you rightfully seem to settle at 24" or
    26". For "not too slow" you'll also want not too long cranks then, 125
    mm max but preferably shorter. But for learning, longer cranks are
    easier. For this size wheel, 150 mm are good, 170 mm are probably even
    better, especially for the 26". So-called cotterless cranks are
    relatively easy to swap (but you'll need a dedicated tool), and not
    that expensive either. So here is your plan to reconcile two seemingly
    conflicting requirements.

    But hey, if the virus catches you properly, you'll end up buying
    several unis anyway.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I figure it's pretty clear that offroad unicycling is a stupid thing to do - joemarshall

  15. (Klaas Bil) said:

    you rightfully seem to settle at 24" or 26". For "not too slow"
    you'll also want not too long cranks then, 125 mm max but preferably
    shorter. But for learning, longer cranks are easier. For this size
    wheel, 150 mm are good, 170 mm are probably even better, especially
    for the 26".

    I think 170s are too long, except for hard core MUni. 125s are too
    short for starting out, especially on the larger wheel. If I were to
    offer advice to myself a year ago when I bought my 26er, I'd
    definitely recommend 140s.

    Ken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.