Unicycling in Iraq

Yes skating helmets are popular ( I'm gonna get one and Dan
Heaton certainly has one :) ) You probably won't need
wristguards when your learning, just land on your feet and
it's all good. If you can't land on your feet don't shove
your hands out to take everything, use them so slightly
catch you and just roll. As far as sports go it's very safe.

--
Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

Jacinto is the king.
Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

I do not see myself needing wrist guards for a while, at least not until
I try riding Mt. Rainier. If anyone sees a cool orange helmet, that can
be ordered online, let me know.
This E.C.U. website is a riot. I'm going to have to print this one out
and post it.
http://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/index.html

--
kraze

Post proelia praemia (after the battle comes the rewards).
kraze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6583

Now, if you can manage to shoot the M16 while riding, that
will be quite an achievement. That's got to be the
ultimate balance drill. I don't know much about firearms,
but if you can take the recoil of the rifle and stay on
the wheel, that's as respectable of any other unicycle
tricks I can think of.

You are the Army of One Wheel....

--
nbrazzi

any God with sense is going to want to promote unicycling

-onewheeldave on religion
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

kraze wrote:
> *Once I learn to ride, I plan on having a picture taken of
> me in my Kevlar (helmet) and Interceptor (bullet-proof
> vest), while aiming my M16 (rifle). *
That should make for an awesome picture. Expect people to
put every caption imaginable under it as they pass it around
the Internet though!

To get a good shot (photo), you'll need to be able to stop
or ride slow enough to make a pose. Or take lots of
pictures. That will be easier than developing the
technique to fire the weapon while riding (or idling). Of
course a unicyclist can do this, we do all sorts of things
while riding. It's just a question of being prepared for
the recoil so you can compensate. Learn to mount and idle
first though...

Nobody has mentioned seat height so far. Make sure your seat
isn't too low, and your legs will thank you through every
practice session. A rough measurement is that the seat
should be somewhere near the height of your navel when you
stand next to it. That's for a 24" wheel anyway. The real
test is that your leg goes most of the way straight when the
pedal is at the bottom. If your knee still has a lot of bend
in it, raise the seat.

The wall is the best place to learn if you don't have human
spotters. Don't spend too much time rocking back and forth
until after learning to ride. Rocking (idling) is a little
more advanced, and builds upon the basic riding abilities.

Have fun out there, stay cool if you can, and try to stay
safe! That goes for all you guys (and girls) over there. I
hope you can all come home sooner rather than later.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

johnfoss wrote:
> *
>
> It's just a question of being prepared for the recoil so
> you can compensate. Learn to mount and idle first
> though...
>
> *

The M16 has the recoil of a BB gun. Even less than
some BB gun's.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

It's just like learning to throw (or catch) a basketball
from a moving unicycle. At first it may totally mess you up,
but once you learn how to handle the forces involved, you
can handle quite a bit while staying on course.

Hopefully one's military experiences will never involve
having to fire a weapon while mounted, but if your base is
attacked while you're in the middle of a practice session or
something, you can be ready. Any weapon you can fire while
standing on two feet you should be able to use from a
unicycle as well.

I just won't recommend it.

--

kraze wrote:
> * This E.C.U. website is a riot. I'm going to have to
> print this one out and post it.
> http://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/index.html *

If you can get a good photo of you on a unicycle in full
combat gear, on realistic terrain, firing an M16, then
send me a copy and I'll give it a prime spot on the ECU
webpage :)

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Funny enough, the wall I've been using to practice with is a
sandbag wall. My site is next to a former Iraqi aircraft
hangar, and when we moved in we dug under the mud and found
a gutter. So now that gutter and the sandbag wall we put up
is my training grounds. I want a picture to send home of me
unicycling on top of the hangar, that will be a memory.
Might even be a first?