Unlikely that steroids help with endurance sports

Humans evolved over millions of years to have high endurance. I would
guess that any healthy individual already has the optimal level of
hormones. It is just crude and stupid to inject hormones hoping to
improve a system that has been fine tuned over millions of years.
I would say the same thing about anti-depressants.

Steroids for muscle growth is different because you are trying to
achieve a physique which is
unnatural and probably maladaptive for normal survival.

[email protected] wrote:
> Humans evolved over millions of years to have high endurance. I would
> guess that any healthy individual already has the optimal level of
> hormones. It is just crude and stupid to inject hormones hoping to
> improve a system that has been fine tuned over millions of years.
> I would say the same thing about anti-depressants.
>
> Steroids for muscle growth is different because you are trying to
> achieve a physique which is
> unnatural and probably maladaptive for normal survival.

Thanks to Tom Cruise for clearing this all up.

I'm thrilled to learn that anyting about me is optimum.

[email protected] wrote:
> Steroids for muscle growth is different because you are trying to
> achieve a physique

That's the old school of thought that has been discredited in recent
years. The old school of thought is that steroids make you bulky, so
it's only good for weightlifters and athletes who want power
(sprinters). But the baseball investigations from the past few years
have revealed that many pitchers were using steroids too. Not to bulk
up, but to improve recovery time.

gds wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Humans evolved over millions of years to have high endurance. I would
>> guess that any healthy individual already has the optimal level of
>> hormones. It is just crude and stupid to inject hormones hoping to
>> improve a system that has been fine tuned over millions of years.
>> I would say the same thing about anti-depressants.
>>
>> Steroids for muscle growth is different because you are trying to
>> achieve a physique which is
>> unnatural and probably maladaptive for normal survival.

> Thanks to Tom Cruise for clearing this all up.
>
> I'm thrilled to learn that anyting about me is optimum.

Better yet, you didn't even have to do ANYTHING! And it's all thanks to
millions of years of australopithecine cyclists.

Bucky wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Steroids for muscle growth is different because you are trying to
> > achieve a physique

> That's the old school of thought that has been discredited in recent
> years. The old school of thought is that steroids make you bulky, so
> it's only good for weightlifters and athletes who want power
> (sprinters). But the baseball investigations from the past few years
> have revealed that many pitchers were using steroids too. Not to bulk
> up, but to improve recovery time.

When I was a kid the rumor was that guys on steroids were so bulked up
that they couldn't swing a baseball bat. I'm pretty sure that myth has
been laid to rest.

I guess you are right. I guess it is hard for the body to manufacturer
some of these hormones. If you can manufacturer them or get them from
an animal or another human, you can improve on nature. I hear that they
can store their blood and get a transfusion close to the event. I
guess that is the same idea.

[email protected] wrote:
> I guess you are right. I guess it is hard for the body to manufacturer
> some of these hormones. If you can manufacturer them or get them from
> an animal or another human, you can improve on nature.

Dumbass -

The reason GT stage racers take testosterone is that the abuse they're
putting their bodies through is outpacing the body's ability to
recover.

When they dope with the testosterone it's to get the depleted levels
back up to "normal".

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

That's as simplistic as saying we should give them shots of adrenaline.
They are exhausted at a cellular level so there is nothing that can be
done. The benefit of testosterone is of course entirely placebo. I'm
not going to try to explain to you why the placeboe effect is not
helpful.

[email protected] wrote:
> That's as simplistic as saying we should give them shots of adrenaline.
> They are exhausted at a cellular level so there is nothing that can be
> done. The benefit of testosterone is of course entirely placebo.

Dumbass -

Source?

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Tim Lines wrote:
> Better yet, you didn't even have to do ANYTHING! And it's all thanks to
> millions of years of australopithecine cyclists.

Bike fit must have been complicated in those days.

On 2 Aug 2006 00:02:34 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>That's as simplistic as saying we should give them shots of adrenaline.
>They are exhausted at a cellular level so there is nothing that can be
>done. The benefit of testosterone is of course entirely placebo. I'm
>not going to try to explain to you why the placeboe effect is not
>helpful.

Long grueling work on deficit rations depletes testosterone levels over a period
of weeks. The ample food and supplements available to the riders helps mitigate
this, but not enough for a guy who's expected to have some strength at the end.

The aggression associated with high levels of testosterone is an immediate
competitive benefit.

Ron

>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > I guess you are right. I guess it is hard for the body to manufacturer
>> > some of these hormones. If you can manufacturer them or get them from
>> > an animal or another human, you can improve on nature.

>> Dumbass -
>>

>> The reason GT stage racers take testosterone is that the abuse they're
>> putting their bodies through is outpacing the body's ability to
>> recover.
>>
>> When they dope with the testosterone it's to get the depleted levels
>> back up to "normal".
>>

>> thanks,
>>
>> K. Gringioni.

> I'm
> not going to try to explain to you why the placeboe effect is not
> helpful.

Dumbass,

The whole idea of a placebo effect is that it's real and therefore
beneficial.

By definition, placebo effect is not real. It is just a distortion of
perceptions. The cancer patient may percieve improvement but he still
dies on schedule.

[email protected] wrote:
> > I'm
> > not going to try to explain to you why the placeboe effect is not
> > helpful.

> Dumbass,
>
> The whole idea of a placebo effect is that it's real and therefore
> beneficial.

It might be an advantage to a lazy person but we are dealing with A
type personalities who are operating at the margins of their
capabilities. Making them aggressive/angry only causes them to expend
unnecessary energy.

[email protected] wrote:

> By definition, placebo effect is not real. It is just a distortion of
> perceptions. The cancer patient may percieve improvement but he still
> dies on schedule.

Sorry, but you have incorrectly described the nature of the placebo
effect. It is not magic, but is measurable in quantitative parameters.
It is one of the reasons pharmaceutical drugs must be tested against a
placebo in a control group rather than a group of subjects that get no
pills (the other being to allow double-blind studies to eliminate
investigator bias).

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

[email protected] wrote:
> It might be an advantage to a lazy person but we are dealing with A
> type personalities who are operating at the margins of their
> capabilities. Making them aggressive/angry only causes them to expend
> unnecessary energy.

Dumbass -

If that were true, then Tom Simpson would never have needed those
amphetamines, nor should amphetamines (or testosterone for that matter)
be on the banned list.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

[email protected] wrote:
> Humans evolved over millions of years to have high endurance. I would
> guess that any healthy individual already has the optimal level of
> hormones. It is just crude and stupid to inject hormones hoping to
> improve a system that has been fine tuned over millions of years.
> I would say the same thing about anti-depressants.
>
> Steroids for muscle growth is different because you are trying to
> achieve a physique which is
> unnatural and probably maladaptive for normal survival.

Troll
Henry you should know better. Quit feeding.