General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Unnecessary purchase...

Started by Michael in Maryland · · Last activity · 23 posts · 633 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 August 2005
Last activity
11 August 2005
Original author
Michael in Maryland
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
633
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sheryl Rosen said:

    Michael in Maryland at [email hidden] wrote on 8/10/05 6:57 AM:

    Quoted message said:

    A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
    happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.

    I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
    but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
    them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
    least twice as much for them."

    Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
    need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
    advantage of it? (If anyone wants to try convincing me that I'll get
    lots of use out of the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a
    "must have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans already in
    my kitchen, feel free.)

    Sweetheart, if you want it, and it makes you happy....and you can afford to
    spend the money on the pots and not on something else, and you have the room
    to store them....treat yourself!

    Those are good pans, the kind that you will have the rest of your life, if
    given reasonable care. (I have Farberware that's older than I am, and
    Corningware, too). Someday, you will need a pan to make a great sauce in,
    and that windsor pan will be perfect...and you'll be grateful to have it!

    I am one of those people who believes in buying a set, at least to start out
    with, because even if you never use that little 1 qt pan but 3-4 times a
    year, when you just need to melt half a stick of butter with some rum for
    that awesome rum cake you make for Christmas gifts....it's the perfect thing
    and you will have it the rest of your life.

    Pots and pans are tools. How often do you use a hammer around the house? Or
    a screwdriver? Certainly not every day, maybe not even once a month! But
    most households have at least one of each. They sit in a drawer and when you
    need them, they are there. Think of those two pots the same way.

    And enjoy!

    Or, if you're *truly* feeling as though you purchased something
    "extravagant" (in that you'll use it maybe twice a year, and then only
    because you already have it and not because you specifically need it)
    then do this -- look through your cabinets, shelves, cupboards, etc.
    and for each new item you buy, give something away. Find an item that
    you haven't used in the last 12-18 months and pass it on to Goodwill or
    the Salvation Army or Big Brothers/Big Sisters or a
    friend/neighbor/coworker who can use it. One in, one out (something
    I'm requiring myself to do with new cookbooks).

    Alexis.

  2. RJ said:

    Fate toys with me.

    If I pass it up, I regret forever.
    If I buy it, I never use it.

    You can't win !


    There's always Kirkland.

  3. sf said:

    Has anyone found a good replacement for them? They left a big hole in
    the market.

    I loved Lechter's, but when it was gone I found that I could find the same
    items it carried in just about any other store that sold kitchenware.
    Target, Smith's (Kroger, Fred Meyer, etc.), Linens and Things, and so on...
    all of those stores carry the same things. They differ greatly only in price
    from store to store.

    There are loads of smaller retailers also serving the same market. Here, the
    little winner is a store called Spoons 'n' Spice.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.