General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Unprocessed natural foods

Started by Daisy · · Last activity · 19 posts · 560 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 June 2006
Last activity
15 June 2006
Original author
Daisy
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
560
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month (this goes for people who are in full-time work)
    in the kitchen making up supplies of such things as real chicken
    stock, soups, rice, pasta sauces, curries and many other meals that
    you can freeze and eat later.

    If you are not really a kitchen person and find the whole thing quite
    boring, transport a small TV into the kitchen and watch while you
    work.

    You won't need to open that packet of processed pasta sauce or
    commercial chicken stock, or commercial brand pasta sauce. You WILL
    notice the difference and so will your bank account and the people who
    eat your food.

    (I don't mean that you should not use such things as canned vegetables
    including tomatoes that have no preservatives or added salt and sugar.
    I can buy really good canned products of this sort and I guess you can
    as well. You do have to read the labels of everything you buy - and
    simply ensure that the stuff is not processed using preservatives,
    sugar, salt, fat and all the other nasties.)

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

  2. Daisy said:


    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month (this goes for people who are in full-time work)
    in the kitchen making up supplies of such things as real chicken
    stock, soups, rice, pasta sauces, curries and many other meals that
    you can freeze and eat later.

    If you are not really a kitchen person and find the whole thing quite
    boring, transport a small TV into the kitchen and watch while you
    work.

    You won't need to open that packet of processed pasta sauce or
    commercial chicken stock, or commercial brand pasta sauce. You WILL
    notice the difference and so will your bank account and the people who
    eat your food.

    (I don't mean that you should not use such things as canned vegetables
    including tomatoes that have no preservatives or added salt and sugar.
    I can buy really good canned products of this sort and I guess you can
    as well. You do have to read the labels of everything you buy - and
    simply ensure that the stuff is not processed using preservatives,
    sugar, salt, fat and all the other nasties.)

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

    You're preaching to the choir....lol.....Sharon

  3. I agree with daisy.

    That's why at some countries unprocessed natural foods especially
    organic foods is more popular than processed food. More people become
    vegetarians.

    --
    http://www.cookdojo.com
    http://www.padbuilder.com

    Daisy said:

    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month (this goes for people who are in full-time work)
    in the kitchen making up supplies of such things as real chicken
    stock, soups, rice, pasta sauces, curries and many other meals that
    you can freeze and eat later.

    If you are not really a kitchen person and find the whole thing quite
    boring, transport a small TV into the kitchen and watch while you
    work.

    You won't need to open that packet of processed pasta sauce or
    commercial chicken stock, or commercial brand pasta sauce. You WILL
    notice the difference and so will your bank account and the people who
    eat your food.

    (I don't mean that you should not use such things as canned vegetables
    including tomatoes that have no preservatives or added salt and sugar.
    I can buy really good canned products of this sort and I guess you can
    as well. You do have to read the labels of everything you buy - and
    simply ensure that the stuff is not processed using preservatives,
    sugar, salt, fat and all the other nasties.)

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

  4. "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Daisy said:


    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month (this goes for people who are in full-time work)
    in the kitchen making up supplies of such things as real chicken
    stock, soups, rice, pasta sauces, curries and many other meals that
    you can freeze and eat later.

    If you are not really a kitchen person and find the whole thing quite
    boring, transport a small TV into the kitchen and watch while you
    work.

    You won't need to open that packet of processed pasta sauce or
    commercial chicken stock, or commercial brand pasta sauce. You WILL
    notice the difference and so will your bank account and the people who
    eat your food.

    (I don't mean that you should not use such things as canned vegetables
    including tomatoes that have no preservatives or added salt and sugar.
    I can buy really good canned products of this sort and I guess you can
    as well. You do have to read the labels of everything you buy - and
    simply ensure that the stuff is not processed using preservatives,
    sugar, salt, fat and all the other nasties.)

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

    You're preaching to the choir....lol.....Sharon

    Yeah, no kidding, Sharon! Jeesh.

    kili

  5. "lorento" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with daisy.

    That's why at some countries unprocessed natural foods especially
    organic foods is more popular than processed food. More people become
    vegetarians.

    Yeah, right. True, most of the world is living on unprocessed foods produced
    without artificial fertilizers or pesticides. But that's because they can't
    afford artificial fertilizers and pesticides and processed foods. They're
    mostly vegetarian because they can only afford meats on special occasions.
    It's not like the people of the third world are driving their SUV's down to
    the health food store to pay a bunch of old hippies three times the going
    rate for "organic" foods.
    --

    --Rich

  6. Rich said:

    Yeah, right. True, most of the world is living on unprocessed foods produced
    without artificial fertilizers or pesticides. But that's because they can't
    afford artificial fertilizers and pesticides and processed foods. They're
    mostly vegetarian because they can only afford meats on special occasions.
    It's not like the people of the third world are driving their SUV's down to
    the health food store to pay a bunch of old hippies three times the going
    rate for "organic" foods.

    Maybe we are more accustomed to processed foods in North America (and Europe)
    because short growing seasons and long storage periods required various forms of
    processing. But don't kid yourself about processed foods in other countries.
    They have them there too.

    Organic foods are no longer the domain of the old hippies. It is becoming a lot
    more common around here and lots of people are willing to pay higher prices for
    a number of reasons. They prefer not to have their foods laced with strange
    chemicals. They are concerned about the effect of those chemicals on the
    environment. They are concerned about the amount of energy required to get the
    food to market. Organic foods are usually grown closer to the point of
    consumption and are picked and consumed closer to their peak of freshness.

  7. In article said:
    Daisy said:


    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month (this goes for people who are in full-time work)
    in the kitchen making up supplies of such things as real chicken
    stock, soups, rice, pasta sauces, curries and many other meals that
    you can freeze and eat later.

    If you are not really a kitchen person and find the whole thing quite
    boring, transport a small TV into the kitchen and watch while you
    work.

    You won't need to open that packet of processed pasta sauce or
    commercial chicken stock, or commercial brand pasta sauce. You WILL
    notice the difference and so will your bank account and the people who
    eat your food.

    (I don't mean that you should not use such things as canned vegetables
    including tomatoes that have no preservatives or added salt and sugar.
    I can buy really good canned products of this sort and I guess you can
    as well. You do have to read the labels of everything you buy - and
    simply ensure that the stuff is not processed using preservatives,
    sugar, salt, fat and all the other nasties.)

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

    You're preaching to the choir....lol.....Sharon

    I was going to say the same thing...... ;-)

    I know we sometimes discuss the use of some pre-prepared foods here for
    quick fixes when one is short on time, but for the most part, I think
    everyone here pretty much starts with fresh ingredients and prepares
    fresh meats and veggies in various ways.

    I think the most common cheat is Penzy's spice mixes?
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  8. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I know we sometimes discuss the use of some pre-prepared foods here for
    quick fixes when one is short on time, but for the most part, I think
    everyone here pretty much starts with fresh ingredients and prepares
    fresh meats and veggies in various ways.

    I think the most common cheat is Penzy's spice mixes?

    Not for me. I like to blend my own spices instead of buying the blends
    they put out. Especially since I have all the spices anyway, usually?

    Now I'm not adverse to using Pillsbury rolled pie crusts in my own pie
    pans though. So I guess we all pick and choose what level of processing
    or packaged elsewhere foods we are comfortable using.

  9. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I know we sometimes discuss the use of some pre-prepared foods here for
    quick fixes when one is short on time, but for the most part, I think
    everyone here pretty much starts with fresh ingredients and prepares
    fresh meats and veggies in various ways.

    I think the most common cheat is Penzy's spice mixes?


    I don't regard spice mixes as cheating. I use middle eastern mixes like
    baharat and ras el hanout (for which there are apparently infinite
    variations) and although I have recipes it's just not worth th bother of
    making my own, given the small quantities involved.

    Christine

  10. Daisy said:

    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month (this goes for people who are in full-time work)
    in the kitchen making up supplies of such things as real chicken
    stock, soups, rice, pasta sauces, curries and many other meals that
    you can freeze and eat later.

    If you are not really a kitchen person and find the whole thing quite
    boring, transport a small TV into the kitchen and watch while you
    work.

    You won't need to open that packet of processed pasta sauce or
    commercial chicken stock, or commercial brand pasta sauce. You WILL
    notice the difference and so will your bank account and the people who
    eat your food.

    (I don't mean that you should not use such things as canned vegetables
    including tomatoes that have no preservatives or added salt and sugar.
    I can buy really good canned products of this sort and I guess you can
    as well. You do have to read the labels of everything you buy - and
    simply ensure that the stuff is not processed using preservatives,
    sugar, salt, fat and all the other nasties.)


    I think there might be a difference between processed food and prepared food. I have always used bought puff pastry and phyllo pastry because it's just too time consuming to make my own. Shortcrust I can manage.

    Tinned tomatoes and chickpeas and the like are legitimate convenience foods, and good tinned tomatoes are actually superior for some purposes especially in the winter.

    I must say I haven't bought a tin of soup for yonks, as soup is just so easy to make, especially since the invention of the Bamix.

    What really annoys me is recipes (and this is a particular problem with American recipes) which stipulate the use of some proprietary product, if not several. This was a problem with the recent thread on Barb's rhubarb pie, which I'm sure is delicious but involves the use of a packet of yellow cake mix.

    Christine

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I know we sometimes discuss the use of some pre-prepared foods here for
    quick fixes when one is short on time, but for the most part, I think
    everyone here pretty much starts with fresh ingredients and prepares
    fresh meats and veggies in various ways.

    I think the most common cheat is Penzy's spice mixes?

    Not for me. I like to blend my own spices instead of buying the blends
    they put out. Especially since I have all the spices anyway, usually?

    I go both ways.
    Depends on what I'm doing...
    I don't own any Penzey's but I do use Fiesta salt free lemon pepper or
    fajita spice mixes on occasion, as well as Old Bay when appropriate.

    But most of the time I spice from "scratch". ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    Now I'm not adverse to using Pillsbury rolled pie crusts in my own pie
    pans though. So I guess we all pick and choose what level of processing
    or packaged elsewhere foods we are comfortable using.

    <lol>

    Like canned cream soup for gravies???

    Now that I've become adept at using Arrowroot, I've pretty much
    discontinued doing that and the results are _oh_ so much better.
    I like to deglaze pans using either pork or chicken stock, then adding
    garlic, mushrooms, etc. and adding a bit of merlot last. I used to use a
    water slurry for the arrowroot but I now use the room temp. wine instead.

    Works great!

    If I'm making a cream sauce, I use heavy cream or sour cream and use a
    water slurry for those, just not much liquid to dissolve the arrowroot
    in.
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  12. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Old Mother Ashby said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I know we sometimes discuss the use of some pre-prepared foods here for
    quick fixes when one is short on time, but for the most part, I think
    everyone here pretty much starts with fresh ingredients and prepares
    fresh meats and veggies in various ways.

    I think the most common cheat is Penzy's spice mixes?


    I don't regard spice mixes as cheating. I use middle eastern mixes like
    baharat and ras el hanout (for which there are apparently infinite
    variations) and although I have recipes it's just not worth th bother of
    making my own, given the small quantities involved.

    Christine

    I have some curry mix that I like to use......
    and my ever beloved lemon pepper! When I'm out of it, I will use ground
    dried citrus peel (lemon and/or orange) and ground black pepper, and
    powdered white pepper in it's place.

    The Fiesta brand salt free fajita seasoning mix is really handy for a
    lot of things, especially grilling.
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  13. "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Daisy said:


    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month

    <snip preaching>

    Quoted message said:

    You're preaching to the choir....lol.....Sharon

    Yes, but.....

    I find it extremely annoying when someone gets on a soapbox and tells me
    what I should do. And lately, there seems to be a problem with definitions
    of natural, unprocessed, raw, and organic. As well as some misconceptions
    about what's healthy and what isn't. Not just in this newsgroup, but out in
    RL as well. I mean, organic sugar is still sugar...

    And I'm tired of the low-carb, low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-sugar,
    high-fiber, good-fat, barbecue, iron-rich-organ meat, anti-alcohol,
    authentic-ethnic-only, vegetable-juicing, vitamin-addicted, vegetarian,
    organic, and raw food zealots. Eat what you want, but leave me alone while I
    wait to see if whatever you're spouting off about now will be proven to be
    bad for you in a few years' time.

    My opinion -- and it's just my own, nothing I'm asking you to believe in --
    is that moderation is a safe bet. And a heck of a lot more fun.

    I normally eat foods prepared from scratch. I bake most of my own bread. But
    once in a while, I eat something that's really bad for me. Sometimes I even
    cook something that's processed. Too bad. Sometimes that's what I want, and
    sometimes it's just the easiest thing to do on a day when I'm too brain dead
    to use sharp implements or think straight enough to whip up something simple
    and healthy.

    I doubt that an occasional box of Kraft mac 'n cheese or a couple of Girl
    Scout cookies will kill me.

    Donna

  14. "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I find it extremely annoying when someone gets on a soapbox and tells me
    what I should do. And lately, there seems to be a problem with definitions
    of natural, unprocessed, raw, and organic. As well as some misconceptions
    about what's healthy and what isn't. Not just in this newsgroup, but out
    in RL as well. I mean, organic sugar is still sugar...

    And I'm tired of the low-carb, low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-sugar,
    high-fiber, good-fat, barbecue, iron-rich-organ meat, anti-alcohol,
    authentic-ethnic-only, vegetable-juicing, vitamin-addicted, vegetarian,
    organic, and raw food zealots. Eat what you want, but leave me alone while
    I wait to see if whatever you're spouting off about now will be proven to
    be bad for you in a few years' time.

    My thoughts exactly.

    Quoted message said:

    My opinion -- and it's just my own, nothing I'm asking you to believe
    in -- is that moderation is a safe bet. And a heck of a lot more fun.

    My opinion as well.

    Mary

  15. D.Currie said:

    I find it extremely annoying when someone gets on a soapbox and tells me
    what I should do. And lately, there seems to be a problem with definitions
    of natural, unprocessed, raw, and organic. As well as some misconceptions
    about what's healthy and what isn't. Not just in this newsgroup, but out in
    RL as well. I mean, organic sugar is still sugar...

    I totally agree. We just saw this recently when someone asked about
    "organic ketchup" and obviously the term "organic" didn't mean what this
    person thought it did. And I bet "organic" ketchup has a lot of
    "organic" sugar in it (as does regular ketchup) and isn't any better nor
    worse for you than regular ole Heinz.

    Quoted message said:


    And I'm tired of the low-carb, low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-sugar,
    high-fiber, good-fat, barbecue, iron-rich-organ meat, anti-alcohol,
    authentic-ethnic-only, vegetable-juicing, vitamin-addicted, vegetarian,
    organic, and raw food zealots. Eat what you want, but leave me alone while I
    wait to see if whatever you're spouting off about now will be proven to be
    bad for you in a few years' time.

    AGAIN, AMEN!

    Quoted message said:


    My opinion -- and it's just my own, nothing I'm asking you to believe in --
    is that moderation is a safe bet. And a heck of a lot more fun.


    And you're not boring everyone around you with your "special diet".

  16. D.Currie said:


    "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Daisy said:


    I am opposed to processed foods unless it is absolutely imperative
    that I use a processed product. Do you people know what goes into
    processed foods, apart from all the salt, fat, sugar and other
    preservatives?

    Yuck.

    You will be doing yourselves a really big favour it you simply spend
    about one day a month

    <snip preaching>

    Quoted message said:

    You're preaching to the choir....lol.....Sharon

    Yes, but.....

    I find it extremely annoying when someone gets on a soapbox and tells me
    what I should do. And lately, there seems to be a problem with definitions
    of natural, unprocessed, raw, and organic. As well as some misconceptions
    about what's healthy and what isn't. Not just in this newsgroup, but out in
    RL as well. I mean, organic sugar is still sugar...

    And I'm tired of the low-carb, low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-sugar,
    high-fiber, good-fat, barbecue, iron-rich-organ meat, anti-alcohol,
    authentic-ethnic-only, vegetable-juicing, vitamin-addicted, vegetarian,
    organic, and raw food zealots. Eat what you want, but leave me alone while I
    wait to see if whatever you're spouting off about now will be proven to be
    bad for you in a few years' time.

    My opinion -- and it's just my own, nothing I'm asking you to believe in --
    is that moderation is a safe bet. And a heck of a lot more fun.

    I normally eat foods prepared from scratch. I bake most of my own bread. But
    once in a while, I eat something that's really bad for me. Sometimes I even
    cook something that's processed. Too bad. Sometimes that's what I want, and
    sometimes it's just the easiest thing to do on a day when I'm too brain dead
    to use sharp implements or think straight enough to whip up something simple
    and healthy.

    I doubt that an occasional box of Kraft mac 'n cheese or a couple of Girl
    Scout cookies will kill me.

    Donna

    For sure Donna. But for me, I have enough aggravation in life right
    now, that I refuse to let anything on this group get under my skin....
    consequently, my laughing response to the original post......Sharon

  17. biig said:

    For sure Donna. But for me, I have enough aggravation in life right
    now, that I refuse to let anything on this group get under my skin....
    consequently, my laughing response to the original post......Sharon

    Hello there - I am the original post and I don't think I ever
    mentioned the word organic. I don't buy organic food per se -
    sometimes it just so happens that something I buy is labelled organic
    but I don't specifically go looking for this type of product (except I
    always buy organic free-range chickens because we all know what has
    gone into the other sort!)

    So you found my post amusing? Well, he who laughs last laughs
    longest as they say - and I hope your present general aggravation is
    relieved soon.

    There has been massive medical and media coverage recently about
    unhealthy food and families who are possibly not aware of what
    processed food is all about. Some governments are even spending heaps
    of money to educate people who don't eat the right food. So it is
    not a fanatical few as you seem to think, but a serious global concern
    - mainly affecting Western countries of course, and particularly
    fast-food consumption.

    I appreciate that some people live in regions where scarcity and high
    priced fresh produce determines what they can afford to eat. I am
    lucky in that I live in a country where good quality fresh produce is
    available year-round - yes, even tomatoes and salad ingredients.

    And I do appreciate that a balanced outlook is better than all-out
    fanaticism about food.

    What I was attempting to do was not to preach from a soapbox, nor to
    the converted, but to point out that really good nutritious meals can
    be prepared economically using unprocessed ingredients. Such cooking
    takes more time - and time is very precious in the many modern homes
    where both parents work and the kids are participating in all sorts of
    out of school activities that lead to separate eating habits. I have
    a couple of daughters who are in this situation, so I fully appreciate
    the short-cuts that the cook often takes.

    I've also been there myself, but have to say that many modern
    processed foodstuffs were not available 20 years ago. And I often
    spent one weekend day a month (usually a Sunday) to prepare meals and
    freeze them. We ran out of them before three weeks was up, but it
    was an attempt to avoid too many quick-fix meals that were unhealthy.

    And, yes, I do sometimes splurge and have a high-fat, high-carb. meal
    - usually of the fast-food style. I am not a fanatic, but I do try
    to buy food without preservatives or other additives where I can. I
    don't bake my own bread, but buy it from a bakery nearby that promotes
    its bread as containing no preservatives. It is certainly quite stale
    by the following day, as opposed to the plastic-wrapped loaves that
    have a use-by date 6-7 days ahead!

    It's relatively easy to make such items as chicken stock from scratch
    and freeze for use later. It takes about 4 hours to do it properly
    and doesn't require constant attention . And it's not too difficult
    to locate preservative-free canned vegetables, is it? I can find
    items like this very easily in the supermarket and we have very
    limited brand choice in this country with a population of only 4m. I
    find it takes no time at all to create pasta sauces using crushed
    tomatoes or tomato puree rather than use the so-called quick and easy
    commercial sauces, which are full of preservatives, salt, etc.

    Cheers - and good luck with your cooking - and the aggravation!

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

  18. Daisy said:


    biig said:

    For sure Donna. But for me, I have enough aggravation in life right
    now, that I refuse to let anything on this group get under my skin....
    consequently, my laughing response to the original post......Sharon

    Hello there - I am the original post and I don't think I ever
    mentioned the word organic. I don't buy organic food per se -
    sometimes it just so happens that something I buy is labelled organic
    but I don't specifically go looking for this type of product (except I
    always buy organic free-range chickens because we all know what has
    gone into the other sort!)

    So you found my post amusing? Well, he who laughs last laughs
    longest as they say - and I hope your present general aggravation is
    relieved soon.

    My point was that many posters on this group are strict about not
    using processesed foods. So therefore, you were "preaching to the
    choir". If you stick around long enough the thread will likely come up
    again and you can see that your post was informing us about things we
    already believe.

    Quoted message said:


    There has been massive medical and media coverage recently about
    unhealthy food and families who are possibly not aware of what
    processed food is all about. Some governments are even spending heaps
    of money to educate people who don't eat the right food. So it is
    not a fanatical few as you seem to think, but a serious global concern
    - mainly affecting Western countries of course, and particularly
    fast-food consumption.

    I appreciate that some people live in regions where scarcity and high
    priced fresh produce determines what they can afford to eat. I am
    lucky in that I live in a country where good quality fresh produce is
    available year-round - yes, even tomatoes and salad ingredients.

    And I do appreciate that a balanced outlook is better than all-out
    fanaticism about food.

    What I was attempting to do was not to preach from a soapbox, nor to
    the converted, but to point out that really good nutritious meals can
    be prepared economically using unprocessed ingredients. Such cooking
    takes more time - and time is very precious in the many modern homes
    where both parents work and the kids are participating in all sorts of
    out of school activities that lead to separate eating habits. I have
    a couple of daughters who are in this situation, so I fully appreciate
    the short-cuts that the cook often takes.

    My point again...was....people here already have that outlook.

    Quoted message said:


    I've also been there myself, but have to say that many modern
    processed foodstuffs were not available 20 years ago. And I often
    spent one weekend day a month (usually a Sunday) to prepare meals and
    freeze them. We ran out of them before three weeks was up, but it
    was an attempt to avoid too many quick-fix meals that were unhealthy.

    And, yes, I do sometimes splurge and have a high-fat, high-carb. meal
    - usually of the fast-food style. I am not a fanatic, but I do try
    to buy food without preservatives or other additives where I can. I
    don't bake my own bread, but buy it from a bakery nearby that promotes
    its bread as containing no preservatives. It is certainly quite stale
    by the following day, as opposed to the plastic-wrapped loaves that
    have a use-by date 6-7 days ahead!

    It's relatively easy to make such items as chicken stock from scratch
    and freeze for use later. It takes about 4 hours to do it properly
    and doesn't require constant attention . And it's not too difficult
    to locate preservative-free canned vegetables, is it? I can find
    items like this very easily in the supermarket and we have very
    limited brand choice in this country with a population of only 4m. I
    find it takes no time at all to create pasta sauces using crushed
    tomatoes or tomato puree rather than use the so-called quick and easy
    commercial sauces, which are full of preservatives, salt, etc.

    Again, that has been discussed here many times. My reply to your
    original post was not to ridicule you....anyone here will tell you that
    I don't do that. Just that the points you made were already practiced
    here by many. I hope that you will enjoy participating on the forum.
    There are a lot of nice, helpful posters here along with a few "testy"
    ones...lol...... Stick around and you'll see what we're all about.

    Quoted message said:


    Cheers - and good luck with your cooking - and the aggravation!

    Thanks.....Can we still be friends?.....Sharon

    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

  19. "biig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    For sure Donna. But for me, I have enough aggravation in life right
    now, that I refuse to let anything on this group get under my skin....
    consequently, my laughing response to the original post......Sharon

    I haven't reached the aggravation stage, and you're right, there's no use
    getting worked up about a newsgroup post.

    But it is a little annoying when a person pops up somewhere -- newsgroup or
    RL -- and suddenly starts talking about what I/we should do. It would have
    been different if it was in the context of a discussion, but this was akin
    to an unknown person walking into a dental hygienist's convention and
    spending five minutes loudly explaining to the room that flossing is a
    really good thing.

    Donna

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.