Unusual Car Encounters

Bostonian

Feb 21, 2010
I would like to start a thread for people to post stories about unique encounters and experience they have had with driver on the road while on their bike.

I will go first.

This happened while I was biking down Newbury St in Boston. Before I get started I want to give some people a better understanding of what Newbury really is. If you look at it Newbury street looks like a little inner city road shopping district. But it is a big tourist trap shopping district on a oneway street fill with lots of chain stores, local based stores, and art galleries, that tend to attract a lot of tourists and crowds. Because of this it is very common that drivers (especially during tourist season) tend to drive down it with an attitude of being more focused on looking at the stores than they are on the road.

One day I decided to use Newbury as a shortcut during the middle of tourist season on a saturday (what was I thinking?). I was behind this guy in a prius who was moving slow and I though must just be a tourist enjoying the sites so I didn't make a big deal. Then he came to a sudden stop for no reason. there was no parking spots availabe on either side of the road, and it wasn't even an intersection it was just the center of the block so I don't know why he stopped. His stop was so sudden so I didn't have time to disconnet my shoes from the pedals and I wiped out. Being a hot summer day he had his window down so I decided to pull up along side him on the drivers side and yell "what the heck are you pulling here? Accept with a lot more colorful language. He yelled back at me saying, "watch your language I have kids in the car" I yelled back saying "watch your driving you have kids in the car". His jaw then dropped and I could tell he was having trouble finding a come-back thing to say.

I had bad experience when i was driving my car as i almost about to hit a kid riding his bike but thank God i stopped in the right time.

Well, I recently had to swerve out of the way as a 3-wheel pizza delivery van was pulling out of the mall driveway. I stopped, turned around and faced the driver of the van, and gave him one of my worst death stares ever. The driver sheepishly and slowly turned away and went on his merry way.

From the top of my head, this comes first. Last year when I was taking a leisure ride in the secondary roads inside our village, a pickup was following me. And since it was a leisure ride so I was slow. But when the pickup kept behind me, I slowed down so they would pass... but the pickup didn't. I was getting irritated so I stopped to let them go ahead. But the pickup stopped right in front of me and the window rolled down to show the face of the woman passenger who asked me the way out of the village. They lost their way, huh.