Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Update on back yard bike circus

Started by Paladin · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,034 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
5 September 2004
Last activity
11 September 2004
Original author
Paladin
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,034
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Howdy amigos. As I mentioned a few days back, I started working on an
    underwhelming version of a "north-shore" type bike park in the back
    part of our big back yard. Beyond our fruit trees is a barren patch
    about 60x40 feet avail to me. Well, I got phase 1 done, working with
    a buddy last night and finishing up by myself today, which is a good
    start. All just scrap lumber, and it's gonna stay that way.

    So far, I have three sections of trail "ladders", that are hinged
    together so I can adjust the height and angle in 4 places, ie, both
    ends, and at the two hinges. I have a five foot piece that is hinged
    to an 8' piece, that is hinged to another 5' piece. Similar to the
    elevated ramps in North Shore riding, but mine look rather urban with
    2x4s and other scrap lumber--a little short on big rain forest cedar
    logs right now. O well, it's a start.

    After it was finished and rigged up out back, I was a little hesitant
    to ride it. OK, I was scared. My wife encouraged me to cowboy up and
    just get after it. So I "casually" rode it a few times in my sandals
    on my SS, and one thing I know, it was different and downright scary
    riding up and down on an elevated "trail" like that. And I was barely
    2' off the ground! (You gotta start somewhere, I guess)

    Here's where you can help, if you like: If you live in the Treasure
    Valley of Idaho, and have relatively clean scrap lumber, especially
    2x4 and 2x6 pieces 18" or longer, that you want to contribute, let me
    know, and I'll come get em and put em to good use expanding the
    circus.

    I want to make the whole shdbang into a big oval, with at least one
    banked turn, a teeter totter or two, a low and a high wheelie drop,
    some ledges to climb and descend, and a couple access ramps up. Many
    thanks to the pictures sent by Penny of Tuff-girl's home-made circus.

    I'll post some pictures soon in case this doesn't make any sense.
    Would appreciate your tips and suggestions as we go along. But this is
    a fun project for a construction-challenged type like me.

    __________________
    Now remember boys and girls. Real men don't buy upgrades--they ride up
    grades. Paladin

  2. Paladin says:

    Quoted message said:

    Here's where you can help, if you like: If you live in the Treasure
    Valley of Idaho,

    That's where you lost me. ;-)

    I have a stack of lumber that used to be half of our deck (too huge and in the
    way of useful things like cellar entrance) that isi just sitting behind the
    shed waiting for use. 2x6 and some 2x8, mostly in 10 or 12-foot lengths.

    If you decide to continue building closer to RI. let me know.

    Steve

  3. Stephen Baker said:

    Paladin says:

    Quoted message said:

    Here's where you can help, if you like: If you live in the Treasure
    Valley of Idaho,

    That's where you lost me. ;-)

    I have a stack of lumber that used to be half of our deck (too huge and in the
    way of useful things like cellar entrance) that isi just sitting behind the
    shed waiting for use. 2x6 and some 2x8, mostly in 10 or 12-foot lengths.

    If you decide to continue building closer to RI. let me know.

    Steve

    Just box it all up and mail it to me. I'll put it to good use. I'll even attach a brass plate to the side of the big drop in your honor. (That way they're more likely to sue you than me if they get hurt, heheh.)

    Big challenge last night, beside overcoming my fear of riding up a ramp and negotiating elevation without any guard rails, of course, was our two dogs who thought riding with me in the back yard was too much fun.

    CDB/paladin

  4. CB/Paladin says:

    Quoted message said:

    was our
    two dogs who thought riding with me in the back yard was too much fun.

    What kinda bikes do _they_ ride? ;-P

    Steve

  5. Chris Brown said:

    Just box it all up and mail it to me. I'll put it to good use. I'll
    even attach a brass plate to the side of the big drop in your honor.
    (That way they're more likely to sue you than me if they get hurt,
    heheh.)

    Big challenge last night, beside overcoming my fear of riding up a
    ramp and negotiating elevation without any guard rails, of course,
    was our two dogs who thought riding with me in the back yard was too
    much fun.

    CDB/paladin

    Did that photo set include one of the roller coaster?
    Also, anyone that wants to see this photo collection of backyard courses and
    some Canadian builds, just let me know.

    penny

  6. Paladin said:

    Howdy amigos. As I mentioned a few days back, I started working on an
    underwhelming version of a "north-shore" type bike park in the back
    part of our big back yard. Beyond our fruit trees is a barren patch
    about 60x40 feet avail to me. Well, I got phase 1 done, working with
    a buddy last night and finishing up by myself today, which is a good
    start. All just scrap lumber, and it's gonna stay that way.

    Sweet CDB! I'll be over today with the Surly and we can
    rock-n-roll! :-)

    Since your house is like 5 minutes from my work I can see
    some lunchtime "skills clinics" at your place (taught by you
    of course...better get good on that thing). =)

    I'll keep an eye out for any scrap lumber. I have none now,
    and I'm about as good as my 2 yr old daughter at building
    stuff, so I don't see any in my future.

    There used to be more building out here, but there's still
    some. That new chi-chi place over there at the East end of
    Park Center is pretty active...I may have to cruise thru
    there today and see if there are any scrap supplies looking
    for a good home.

    Gman

  7. quote='Gman'On 4 Sep 2004 22:18:37 -0700 said:

    Howdy amigos. As I mentioned a few days back, I started working on an
    underwhelming version of a "north-shore" type bike park in the back
    part of our big back yard. Beyond our fruit trees is a barren patch
    about 60x40 feet avail to me. Well, I got phase 1 done, working with
    a buddy last night and finishing up by myself today, which is a good
    start. All just scrap lumber, and it's gonna stay that way.

    Sweet CDB! I'll be over today with the Surly and we can
    rock-n-roll! :-)

    Since your house is like 5 minutes from my work I can see
    some lunchtime "skills clinics" at your place (taught by you
    of course...better get good on that thing). =)

    I'll keep an eye out for any scrap lumber. I have none now,
    and I'm about as good as my 2 yr old daughter at building
    stuff, so I don't see any in my future.

    There used to be more building out here, but there's still
    some. That new chi-chi place over there at the East end of
    Park Center is pretty active...I may have to cruise thru
    there today and see if there are any scrap supplies looking
    for a good home.

    Gman[/QUOTE]

    Thanks, G, for keeping your eye out for lumber. I've got a couple subdivisions to cruise through around here, too. Today, if I can get my yard work done, I'm gonna build a section with ledges or wide stairs of varying heights. Probably 4" to 6" since I have 2x4's and 2x6's to work with. I'll be able to angle them up or down, so they should be a hoot climbing up and bouncing down.

    Come on over whenever you want. When I have more built, you and Mr. Surly can rock n roll.

    But I have a lot more respect for those North Shore riders who ride those elevated ramps.

    CB :eek:

  8. "Paladin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy amigos.

    Saturday I built a series of ledges, or long stair steps, (depending if
    you're more a mtn or urban rider.) It's about 10' long, with 3 steps. 2
    are 8" and 1 is 6". Depending on the angle I set this at in respect to the
    rest of the circus, it could be a hoot to climb up, or a bouncy descent. So
    now I have 4 major pieces. Gonna hook the ledges up to the others tonight
    and then decide on how to make the whole menagerie into a loop. So now I'm
    pretty much out of lumber and have to scavenge the new subdivisions going up
    for throw aways. How much fun.

    Quoted message said:


    __________________
    Now remember boys and girls. Real men don't buy upgrades--they ride up
    grades. Paladin

  9. I've been considering a version of your quest myself lately...

    We have a cabin and some semi-cleared land in a little canyon in eastern
    Washington state. I wanted to develop a "skills park" that would enable me
    to handle small drops, narrow switchbacks and bumpy climbs better. I'm an
    aging XC rider, so bigger drops and high, narrow ladders are not really my
    style.

    I was hoping to build it with natural stuff that is abundant there - mostly
    old logs and big rocks. I have some surplus building materials on the site,
    but nothing really usable in terms of lumber. Wondering which devices will
    help you to improve typical riding skills. I'd like to see pics of your
    stuff, and hear back on what you think develops skills for your typical
    rides.

    Tnx

    Gary

    p.s. Tried to send this privately, it got bounced because your disk space
    is exceeded....

    "Paladin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Howdy amigos. As I mentioned a few days back, I started working on an
    underwhelming version of a "north-shore" type bike park in the back
    part of our big back yard.

  10. Gwood said:

    I've been considering a version of your quest myself lately...

    We have a cabin and some semi-cleared land in a little canyon in
    eastern Washington state. I wanted to develop a "skills park" that
    would enable me to handle small drops, narrow switchbacks and bumpy
    climbs better. I'm an aging XC rider, so bigger drops and high,
    narrow ladders are not really my style.

    I was hoping to build it with natural stuff that is abundant there -
    mostly old logs and big rocks. I have some surplus building materials
    on the site, but nothing really usable in terms of lumber. Wondering
    which devices will help you to improve typical riding skills. I'd
    like to see pics of your stuff, and hear back on what you think
    develops skills for your typical rides.

    Tnx

    I have a whole folder of pics for ideas, from Rossland and Tuffgrrls
    backyard.
    send me an email if you want to see them

    pennys at cet dot com

  11. Quoted message said:

    I was hoping to build it with natural stuff that is abundant there -


    mostly

    Quoted message said:

    old logs and big rocks. I have some surplus building materials on the


    site,

    Quoted message said:

    but nothing really usable in terms of lumber.

    If you have an axe, an adze, a froe a drawknife and some time you can have
    all the lumber you need.

  12. "J G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was hoping to build it with natural stuff that is abundant there -


    mostly

    Quoted message said:

    old logs and big rocks. I have some surplus building materials on the


    site,

    Quoted message said:

    but nothing really usable in terms of lumber.

    If you have an axe, an adze, a froe a drawknife and some time you can have
    all the lumber you need.

    How about just a chain saw...sounds like less work.

  13. Nodonuts says:

    Quoted message said:

    If you have an axe, an adze, a froe a drawknife and some time you can have
    all the lumber you need.

    Now, John - I give you the adze, but how many are actually going to have a froe
    hanging around? Damn fine tools, though ;-)

    Steve

  14. On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:08:06 -0600, Paladin wrote:
    So

    Quoted message said:

    now I have 4 major pieces. Gonna hook the ledges up to the others tonight
    and then decide on how to make the whole menagerie into a loop.

    AMB-ID 2005 at your house?

    gabrielle

  15. Stephen Baker said:

    Nodonuts says:

    Quoted message said:

    If you have an axe, an adze, a froe a drawknife and some time you
    can have all the lumber you need.

    Now, John - I give you the adze, but how many are actually going to
    have a froe hanging around? Damn fine tools, though ;-)

    I almost replied that he must be having a seizure, but then my spell-checker
    disavowed me of the idea.

    Bill "didn't froes go out with Dr. J?" S.

  16. [quote="Gwood"]I've been considering a version of your quest myself lately...

    We have a cabin and some semi-cleared land in a little canyon in eastern
    Washington state. I wanted to develop a "skills park" that would enable me
    to handle small drops, narrow switchbacks and bumpy climbs better. I'm an
    aging XC rider, so bigger drops and high, narrow ladders are not really my
    style.

    I was hoping to build it with natural stuff that is abundant there - mostly
    old logs and big rocks. I have some surplus building materials on the site,
    but nothing really usable in terms of lumber. Wondering which devices will
    help you to improve typical riding skills. I'd like to see pics of your
    stuff, and hear back on what you think develops skills for your typical
    rides.

    Tnx

    Gary

    p.s. Tried to send this privately, it got bounced because your disk space
    is exceeded....

    my present email is brown law at quik dot com

    Now, I'm an E- Washingtonian myself, transplanted to the potato state about 15 yrs ago.

    I scavenged a little lumber from a discard pile at a new sub near the house, but felt a little guilty. So I'll ask a contractor buddy where the good hauls are to be made. Next step is to build better supports, but keep the whole shebang flexible, ie, the parts to mix and match, almost like legos.

    I haven't gotten to ride much this summer, (snip the long story) and realized that not only had my fitness suffered, but without road trips out of town, (ie, Moab, WA, NV, AZ, etc) I don't get to polish or maintain my technical skills, such as they are. This is high desert riding here, but not much in the way of big rocks and logs and such. Steep climbs and switchbacks, and a couple semi-technical trails that you eventually learn by heart.

    So, I'd been thinking about this bike circus for a while, and just decided to do something about it. Good bad or ridiculous, it's going up and taking shape. My digi-cam arrives any day and I'll try to post some pictures of the progress this far. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

    I know that I need to work on track-stands, off-camber switchbacks, staying on line up tricky climbs, staying on course over elevated tracks, (ie, mental toughness and bike control), wheelie drops of greater than 2 feet, let's see, the list could go on and on.

    Penny's got some great pictures of this type of thing. There are also tons of shots on the internet of the Vancouver, CA, North Shore trails that are really burly, made out of mostly cedar logs.

    If it's not secret, let me know where you are and keep us apprised of your progress.

    CDB/Paladin

  17. "gabrielle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:08:06 -0600, Paladin wrote:
    So

    Quoted message said:

    now I have 4 major pieces. Gonna hook the ledges up to the others


    tonight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and then decide on how to make the whole menagerie into a loop.

    AMB-ID 2005 at your house?

    gabrielle

    Yeah, right. LOL. Nothing compares to the last few years' epics.
    (Especially my back yard menagerie in process!) We'll just keep getting
    better every year. Whaddya think about a 3-day, multi-sport deal like we
    talked about, rock climbing day, whitewater day, and riding day?

    paladin

  18. Paladin said:

    "gabrielle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:08:06 -0600, Paladin wrote:
    So

    Quoted message said:

    now I have 4 major pieces. Gonna hook the ledges up to the others
    tonight and then decide on how to make the whole menagerie into a
    loop.

    AMB-ID 2005 at your house?

    gabrielle

    Yeah, right. LOL. Nothing compares to the last few years' epics.
    (Especially my back yard menagerie in process!) We'll just keep
    getting better every year. Whaddya think about a 3-day, multi-sport
    deal like we talked about, rock climbing day, whitewater day, and
    riding day?

    paladin

    have to make it 5 days to cover everything. We can provide raft and paddle
    for the white water day.
    Did I just commit myself??!!!

    just sent you a picture of a skinny roller coaster that I just got.

  19. "Paladin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "gabrielle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:08:06 -0600, Paladin wrote:
    So

    Quoted message said:

    now I have 4 major pieces. Gonna hook the ledges up to the others


    tonight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and then decide on how to make the whole menagerie into a loop.

    AMB-ID 2005 at your house?

    gabrielle

    Yeah, right. LOL. Nothing compares to the last few years' epics.
    (Especially my back yard menagerie in process!) We'll just keep getting
    better every year. Whaddya think about a 3-day, multi-sport deal like we
    talked about, rock climbing day, whitewater day, and riding day?

    paladin

    Sounds like a winner.

    JD

  20. Paladin said:


    "gabrielle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:08:06 -0600, Paladin wrote:
    So

    Quoted message said:

    now I have 4 major pieces. Gonna hook the ledges up to the others


    tonight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and then decide on how to make the whole menagerie into a loop.

    AMB-ID 2005 at your house?

    gabrielle

    Yeah, right. LOL. Nothing compares to the last few years' epics.
    (Especially my back yard menagerie in process!) We'll just keep getting
    better every year. Whaddya think about a 3-day, multi-sport deal like we
    talked about, rock climbing day, whitewater day, and riding day?

    paladin

    That could be cool. I'll be shuttle bunny for the whitewater part -
    now taking advance beer orders. 😉

    gabrielle

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.