Upgrades Nice frame poor components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philthy

Hiya, I've just got hold of a decent 7000 series aluminium hard tail frame, which is blessed by
having some decidedly average components attached. I will be using it mainly light off road XC.

Where would you start & which component would you do 1st. It rides quite nice & most importantly
fits me well, frame wise. It currently has a poor Zoom front sus fork & 18 speed bottom of the
range Shimano front & rear deralleur set up bottom of the line Sram shifters. Don't know what to
do 1st ho humm.

Cya Phil

Where you start depends on what you want to achieve really.

For cheapness and immediacy, fix the contact points (saddle, bars, shifters) first. Then maybe do the forks.

But my preference would be to do the wheels and forks first. But this can finish up being expensive, since you may have to upgrade the drivetrain at the same time.

The Zoom forks are an unknown quantity (to me at least), but from what you describe of the rest of the bike, they're probably quite basic. Thankfully, changing forks is relatively simple (as long as the bike has a 1 1/8 steerer tube).

Nice. light wheels will make a vast difference to the way the bike feels, but you could have an issue with these. You say the bike is currently set up with 18 gears. This means a screw-on freewheel and may also mean 130mmm dropout spacing at the back (all 7,8 and 9 - speed cassette systems use 135mm).

Assuming that you have 135mm spacing, unless you want to stick with 6-speed a new back wheel will also mean upgrading to (probably) a 9 speed cassette. This also means replacing the crankset, chain and shifters.

This will be expensive, and the complete bike may not be worth the money.

Alternatively, you could convert the bike to single-speed and join the weirdos and hardnuts.

Originally posted by Philthy
Hiya, I've just got hold of a decent 7000 series aluminium hard tail frame, which is blessed by
having some decidedly average components attached. I will be using it mainly light off road XC.

Where would you start & which component would you do 1st. It rides quite nice & most importantly
fits me well, frame wise. It currently has a poor Zoom front sus fork & 18 speed bottom of the
range Shimano front & rear deralleur set up bottom of the line Sram shifters. Don't know what to
do 1st ho humm.

Cya Phil

"Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hiya, I've just got hold of a decent 7000 series aluminium hard tail frame, which is blessed by
> having some decidedly average components attached. I will be using it mainly light off road XC.
>
> Where would you start & which component would you do 1st. It rides
quite
> nice & most importantly fits me well, frame wise. It currently has a poor Zoom front sus fork & 18
> speed bottom of the range Shimano front & rear deralleur set up bottom of the line Sram shifters.
> Don't know what to do 1st ho humm.

My goodness, how old IS it? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Status
Not open for further replies.