Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Upgrading 7sp cassette to 8/9?

Started by Tom Williams · · Last activity · 6 posts · 701 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 July 2003
Last activity
21 July 2003
Original author
Tom Williams
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
701
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    This is probably an oft asked question, but I'm looking at upgrading my old 'winter' bike's 7sp set
    to something a bit more modern, mainly so I can throw some Ergo levers on there.

    At the moment, I have a fairly generic (in that I can't remember what it is) 7speed block on the
    back, with a Mirage '97? rear mech. I understand the rear mech will have to (obviously) be upgraded
    too. The chainset is a Mirage job of the same year, probably '97, (52,42 if that helps at all) and a
    Veloce front mech, again probably 1997. Brakes are Shimano RX100s if that's relevant.

    Now, what do I have to change, am I looking at replacing the whole chainset/cassette/rear hub etc? I
    understand I also need 130mm between rear dropouts to fit these modern hubs in, some pointers on
    where to measure ths from would be much appreciated. The frame is about 6-7 years old, Reynolds
    CR(o)MO tubing.

    Sorry for the incredible vagueness in my post, but this bike has sat in my shed for a long time
    being neglected, I got it out the other day to clean it and decided it needed a little modernising.
    Any advice will be welcomed with opened arms.

    Thanks, Tom

  2. Oh, that's nice, I thought all the indexing would be off for 7 speed, that's put me in a good mood
    now. The only reason I was looking at a new cassette was for the Ergo shifter ability, I can't put
    up with downtube levers anymore, after riding my other bikes with Ergo levers.

    Handlebar tape eh 😉

    Thanks,

    Tom

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Williams said:

    This is probably an oft asked question, but I'm looking at upgrading my


    old

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    'winter' bike's 7sp set to something a bit more modern, mainly so I can throw some Ergo levers
    on there.

    At the moment, I have a fairly generic (in that I can't remember what it


    is)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    7speed block on the back, with a Mirage '97? rear mech. I understand


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rear mech will have to (obviously) be upgraded too. The chainset is a Mirage job of the same
    year, probably '97, (52,42 if that helps at all)


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a Veloce front mech, again probably 1997. Brakes are Shimano RX100s if that's relevant.

    Now, what do I have to change, am I looking at replacing the whole chainset/cassette/rear hub
    etc? I understand I also need 130mm between


    rear

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dropouts to fit these modern hubs in, some pointers on where to measure


    ths

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    from would be much appreciated. The frame is about 6-7 years old,


    Reynolds

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    CR(o)MO tubing.

    If you want to do it on the cheap, look for a used pair of 8-speed brifters. Shouldn't be too hard
    to find.

    Campagnolo 8-speed spacing is the same as 7-speed, so 8-speed shifters will index perfectly with a
    7-speed setup.

    I don't believe you'll need to change anything else but the handlebar


    tape.

    Quoted message said:


    If 7-speeds isn't enough for your winter beater, skip 8 and go to 9-speeds. That will need a new
    rear wheel, chain & cassette.

    Sheldon "Cheaper Than You Think" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
    | Never worry about theory as long as the | machinery does what it's supposed to do. | --Robert
    | A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  3. Sheldon Brown said:

    Campagnolo 8-speed spacing is the same as 7-speed

    I've found a small inconsistency between the Campagnolo 8-speed spacing info on
    www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing and www.campagnolo.com/pdf/ruote98.pdf (page 18):

    Sheldon, you say: sprocket = 1.8, spacer = 3.2mm, Campag say 1.85 and 3.2, so c-c would be
    5.05 not 5.0.

    Quoted message said:

    so 8-speed shifters will index perfectly with a 7-speed setup.

    I'm sure it will index fine (as any error will be so small), but it would be nice to have the
    correct info on your website - if you can change it (if it is wrong?).

    Thanks again for a great website. I will email a copy of this post if no reply here.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs said:

    Sheldon, you say: sprocket = 1.8, spacer = 3.2mm, Campag say 1.85 and
    3.2, so c-c would be 5.05 not 5.0.

    Correction: you say spacer = 3.1.

    ~PB

  5. Tom-<< This is probably an oft asked question, but I'm looking at upgrading my old 'winter' bike's
    7sp set to something a bit more modern, mainly so I can throw some Ergo levers on there. >><BR><BR>

    << At the moment, I have a fairly generic (in that I can't remember what it is) 7speed block on the
    back, with a Mirage '97? rear mech. I understand the rear mech will have to (obviously) be upgraded
    too >><BR><BR>

    Nope, not if it not worn out..It will work fine with ERGO...any of them.

    << I understand I also need 130mm between rear dropouts to fit these modern hubs in, some pointers
    on where to measure ths from would be much appreciated. The frame is about 6-7 years old, Reynolds
    CR(o)MO tubing. >><BR><BR>

    If 6-7 years old, made about 1995 or so, it should be 130mm..if not, easy to 'cold set'-

    Get a Campagnolo 9/10s rear hub, build a wheel, get some ERGOs, match the cogset to the ERGO
    speeds(9s or 10s) get a chain, go ride.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. I asserted:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Campagnolo 8-speed spacing is the same as 7-speed so 8-speed shifters will index perfectly with a
    7-speed setup.

    Pete Biggs demurred:

    Quoted message said:


    I've found a small inconsistency between the Campagnolo 8-speed spacing info on
    www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing and www.campagnolo.com/pdf/ruote98.pdf (page 18):

    Sheldon, you say: sprocket = 1.8, spacer = 3.2mm, Campag say 1.85 and 3.2, so c-c would be 5.05
    not 5.0.

    Then:

    Quoted message said:

    Correction: you say spacer = 3.1.

    Actually, I say 1.9 for the sprocket, not 1.8.

    I got these numbers from the Quality Bicycle Products catalogue.

    I have here a brand new Campagnolo Ultra Drive 8-speed cassette and a decent dial caliper.

    I actually measure the sprockets in the range of 1.86-1.88, and the spacers a bit thicker than 3.1.
    Given the low precision of the parts involved, rounding to the nearest tenth seems reasonable to me.

    Sheldon "The Plastic Spacers Will Vary Depending On How Tight The Lockring Gets" Brown
    +--------------------------------------------------------+
    | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, | they are not certain; and as far as they
    | are certain, | they do not refer to reality. --Albert Einstein |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.