upgrading a cheap frame w/ decent parts?

Ablang

Guest
Hey guys.

I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my earlier
days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying. Since I have
them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?

What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes? I was thinking
that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
or not based on the brand name of it's frame. These frames would make
much less theft appeal.

Can it be done? Why or why not to?

Ablang wrote:
> I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my earlier
> days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying. Since I have
> them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
> the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
> find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?
>
> What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes? I was thinking
> that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
> or not based on the brand name of it's frame. These frames would make
> much less theft appeal.
>
> Can it be done? Why or why not to?

Technically, yes.

Practically, I'd donate them and get a decent used lug frame classic
Japanese or Euro bike for a small amount on craigslist. Or from the
thrift store where you 'pass the garbage'.

If it's pretty and shiny and that appearance bothers you, the NYC method
is black duct tape on the frame.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

"Ablang" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my earlier
> days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying. Since I have
> them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
> the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
> find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?

There are a couple of possible problems: firstly a lot of those old Huffys
and the like used non-standard components because they were built to be
exceptionally cheap to make. Also the wheels were generally of such low
grade that they were almost worthless.

Another thing - lots of cheap bikes had the joints squashed together instead
of welded or the like. These were almost worthless.

Now I have seen some "cheap" bikes that would qualify as bicycles but most
of them wouldn't. What's more, you can get a decent frame off of Ebay for a
song and a dance that would be a much better project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lotus-B...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bianchi-SuperLe...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/51cm-1990-Bianc...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And such.

Ablang wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my earlier
> days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying. Since I have
> them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
> the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
> find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?

Possible, yes, but no less expensive than doing the same thing to an
old, good frame that you can pick up cheaply, and the results would be
far better. Those Wall-Mart bikes really are not worth bothering with.
If the components are workable enough to use after cleaning and
adjusting, then do that and give the bike to someone who wants the most
basic of transportation.

> What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes? I was thinking
> that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
> or not based on the brand name of it's frame. These frames would make
> much less theft appeal.

Many bike thieves just use it to get where they are going, then dump it,
or they sell it for a few bucks. Not going to be influenced by brand or
components. Those who know the value of the bike are a small subset of
thieves.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

On Jun 28, 2:20 pm, Ablang <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my earlier
> days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying.  Since I have
> them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
> the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
> find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?
>
> What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes?  I was thinking
> that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
> or not based on the brand name of it's frame.  These frames would make
> much less theft appeal.
>
> Can it be done?  Why or why not to?

Bad idea--it would end up costing you as much as a low end bike shop
bike.

A better idea would be to build up a nice frame like a Gunnar or a
Surly for a couple grand, then have a decal shop print you up some
Roadmaster stickers to put on it!

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:50:03 -0700 (PDT), landotter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jun 28, 2:20 pm, Ablang <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes?  I was thinking
>> that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
>> or not based on the brand name of it's frame.  These frames would make
>> much less theft appeal.
>>
>> Can it be done?  Why or why not to?

>Bad idea--it would end up costing you as much as a low end bike shop
>bike.
>
>A better idea would be to build up a nice frame like a Gunnar or a
>Surly for a couple grand, then have a decal shop print you up some
>Roadmaster stickers to put on it!

A couple grand for a beater that's being locked and left where it's
vulnerable to theft?

Whoa. I sure don't have that kind of money to risk.

On Jun 28, 5:03 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:50:03 -0700 (PDT), landotter
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Jun 28, 2:20 pm, Ablang <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes?  I was thinking
> >> that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
> >> or not based on the brand name of it's frame.  These frames would make
> >> much less theft appeal.

> >> Can it be done?  Why or why not to?

> >Bad idea--it would end up costing you as much as a low end bike shop
> >bike.

> >A better idea would be to build up a nice frame like a Gunnar or a
> >Surly for a couple grand, then have a decal shop print you up some
> >Roadmaster stickers to put on it!

> A couple grand for a beater that's being locked and left where it's
> vulnerable to theft?
>
> Whoa. I sure don't have that kind of money to risk.

Wait--if you use a a really cheap lock along with the Roadmaster
decals, people won't think it's worth anything at all!!! Heck, just
tie it to a meter with trussing twine even.

;-)

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ablang wrote:
> > I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my

earlier
> > days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying. Since I have
> > them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
> > the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
> > find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?
> >
> > What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes? I was thinking
> > that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
> > or not based on the brand name of it's frame. These frames would make
> > much less theft appeal.
> >
> > Can it be done? Why or why not to?

> Technically, yes.
>
> Practically, I'd donate them and get a decent used lug frame classic
> Japanese or Euro bike for a small amount on craigslist. Or from the
> thrift store where you 'pass the garbage'.
>
> If it's pretty and shiny and that appearance bothers you, the NYC method
> is black duct tape on the frame.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

There's a steel mill somewhere in Asia patiently waiting for those sleek
beauties! :cool:

Chas.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:55:49 -0700, "* * Chas"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Ablang wrote:
>> > I have a few leftover bikes (Huffy, Magna, Roadmaster) from my

>earlier
>> > days of biking when I didn't know what I was buying. Since I have
>> > them laying around, I was wondering if it would be possible to take
>> > the frame and upgrade all of their parts, similar to what you would
>> > find on any low-end Trek or Specialized bikes?
>> >
>> > What that then make them decent beater commuter bikes? I was thinking
>> > that maybe bike thiefs probably quickly decide whether to steal a bike
>> > or not based on the brand name of it's frame. These frames would make
>> > much less theft appeal.
>> >
>> > Can it be done? Why or why not to?

>> Technically, yes.
>>
>> Practically, I'd donate them and get a decent used lug frame classic
>> Japanese or Euro bike for a small amount on craigslist. Or from the
>> thrift store where you 'pass the garbage'.
>>
>> If it's pretty and shiny and that appearance bothers you, the NYC method
>> is black duct tape on the frame.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>There's a steel mill somewhere in Asia patiently waiting for those sleek
>beauties! :cool:
>
>Chas.

If the frames are old enough to be "'mericun" the steel is likely
better thanyou get in even some of the better frames today. Virtually
all the steel, even in american bikes is chinese today.

I've refurbed older frames over the years - for my own use.
At the price of good components today - and what a cheap (or even
fair-to-middling) bike costs today, it doesn't really pay.

Now, if you can find a high end older bike (or even relatively new)
with a buggered frame, and you can salvage the goodies to put on an
older lower - end frame you can make a decent bike.

I just sold a scabby looking old bike with decent quality components
to a guy who has had a couple decent bikes stolen over the last year -
I sold it CHEAP, and it is almost too ugly to be stolen by anyone. A
young guy would have to be hard up to be caught riding something that
ugly.