Don Shipp said:I am sure that the little bit of muscle up top that they allow themselves is as fit as it can be.
Overtraining is injurious.
Training should be specific to purpose, cyclists train by cycling. This way they build up ull the muscle and strength they need, and none that they don't.
If they are doing weights, it can only be a small part of their whole training program.
Good post
Same as the discussion on the worthiness of stretching.
The main factor is Time that used efficiently for sport specific training.
Time for sports specific training
Time for nutritional needs (eating properly)
Time for recovery (rest)
.....and for the average Joe
Time for family
Time for career
What time is left after that in the normal cycle of the day or week?
I am advocate for weight training (except in this forum - I agree on physiology pertaining to cycling). I skirt the thin line between weight training and cycling, but my goals are not for competitive cycling. I say skirt the line because I am in a state of barely recovering from doing both without the use of PED's and yet I will not be able to excel greatly at either.
Yesterday morning I trained legs which included squats and yesterday afternoon I did 22 miles on the road bike and attempted interval training. Needless to say I could not hang with the guy I train with for cycling. It's not just my extra lean mass that causes me to be slower it is also my slower recovery rate from trying to juggle too much.
To become a real competitor that is set on improving one may have to get tunnel visioned and become very sport specific.