Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

URGENT! TORN BIKE FLIGHT HARD CASE

Started by john · · Last activity · 13 posts · 664 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 August 2006
Last activity
8 August 2006
Original author
john
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
664
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all

    Just discovered a very urgent problem. I have a Performance Bike hard
    case ("PERFORMANCE CARGO CASE" is embossed on the case). It has 4
    riveted metal clips that hold the two halves together. The material
    around one of the clips on one of the halves is partially torn.

    I'm leaving on a trip w/ said case on Tue morning (08 Aug 06). I would
    like to repair the tear & have it cured prior my departure.

    Does anyone know what material the case is made of? The glue / epoxy
    must adhere to the black material of the case in addition to the plated
    steel clip. (Of course I will grind most of the plating away & roughen
    up the case material prior to application of the repair material) And
    more importantly, if fiberglass & epoxy will successfully repair it? If
    fiberglass & epoxy will work, can I accelerate the curing by putting a
    heat lamp on it?

    I know, I know, I should use carbon fiber to save weight & be
    fashionable. After all, if spoke tension gauges are made of CF? But due
    to the difficulty of quickly finding CF; I think I'll pass this time
    ;-)

    Many thanks for quick answers, John

  2. john said:

    Hi all

    Just discovered a very urgent problem. I have a Performance Bike hard
    case ("PERFORMANCE CARGO CASE" is embossed on the case). It has 4
    riveted metal clips that hold the two halves together. The material
    around one of the clips on one of the halves is partially torn.

    I'm leaving on a trip w/ said case on Tue morning (08 Aug 06). I would
    like to repair the tear & have it cured prior my departure.

    Does anyone know what material the case is made of? The glue / epoxy
    must adhere to the black material of the case in addition to the plated
    steel clip. (Of course I will grind most of the plating away & roughen
    up the case material prior to application of the repair material) And
    more importantly, if fiberglass & epoxy will successfully repair it? If
    fiberglass & epoxy will work, can I accelerate the curing by putting a
    heat lamp on it?

    I know, I know, I should use carbon fiber to save weight & be
    fashionable. After all, if spoke tension gauges are made of CF? But due
    to the difficulty of quickly finding CF; I think I'll pass this time
    ;-)

    Many thanks for quick answers, John

    Right after I posted this I went to Performance's page for my case:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=973&item=00-6565&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

    I also found that it's made of polyethylene.

    I have no idea what 'glue' sticks well to polyethylene. This is an area
    where I have great ignorance. Any recommendation for a good source of
    the hierarchy of what sticks best to what?

    Again, Thanks for any quick answers, John

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    john said:

    Hi all

    Just discovered a very urgent problem.

    why don't you just buy some heavy duty straps and secure your case with
    that for transport. you'll have plenty of time to fix it properly when
    you're back.

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. john said:
    john said:

    Hi all

    Just discovered a very urgent problem. I have a Performance Bike hard
    case ("PERFORMANCE CARGO CASE" is embossed on the case). It has 4
    riveted metal clips that hold the two halves together. The material
    around one of the clips on one of the halves is partially torn.

    I'm leaving on a trip w/ said case on Tue morning (08 Aug 06). I would
    like to repair the tear & have it cured prior my departure.

    Does anyone know what material the case is made of? The glue / epoxy
    must adhere to the black material of the case in addition to the plated
    steel clip. (Of course I will grind most of the plating away & roughen
    up the case material prior to application of the repair material) And
    more importantly, if fiberglass & epoxy will successfully repair it? If
    fiberglass & epoxy will work, can I accelerate the curing by putting a
    heat lamp on it?

    I know, I know, I should use carbon fiber to save weight & be
    fashionable. After all, if spoke tension gauges are made of CF? But due
    to the difficulty of quickly finding CF; I think I'll pass this time
    ;-)

    Many thanks for quick answers, John

    Right after I posted this I went to Performance's page for my case:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=973&item=00-6565&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

    I also found that it's made of polyethylene.

    I have no idea what 'glue' sticks well to polyethylene. This is an area
    where I have great ignorance. Any recommendation for a good source of
    the hierarchy of what sticks best to what?

    Don't know of any glue suitable for polyethylene (it may exist, but I
    haven't met it). You might try to sandwich the torn case between sheets
    of some material across the tear and rivet together, or even "sew" with
    some suitable cord. There's always duct tape. The strap idea someone
    posted was good too.

    Good luck,

    Mark J.

  5. M. Bakunin wrote:

    HiIn article <[email hidden]>,

    john said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi all
    Just discovered a very urgent problem.

    Quoted message said:

    why don't you just buy some heavy duty straps and secure your case with
    that for transport. you'll have plenty of time to fix it properly when
    you're back.

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

    That's a good idea. I have several Anca (sp?) motorcycle tie down
    straps. I'll duct tape them to the case to keep them from slipping off
    end wise, if I can't fix it before departure.
    Per the research I've been doing online polyethylene don't like to
    stick too much of nuttin.

    Thanks, John

  6. Yep, strap it in an "H" formation.

    "john" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    M. Bakunin wrote:

    HiIn article <[email hidden]>,

    john said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi all
    Just discovered a very urgent problem.

    Quoted message said:

    why don't you just buy some heavy duty straps and secure your case with
    that for transport. you'll have plenty of time to fix it properly when
    you're back.

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

    That's a good idea. I have several Anca (sp?) motorcycle tie down
    straps. I'll duct tape them to the case to keep them from slipping off
    end wise, if I can't fix it before departure.
    Per the research I've been doing online polyethylene don't like to
    stick too much of nuttin.

    Thanks, John

  7. Mark said:

    Don't know of any glue suitable for polyethylene (it may exist, but I
    haven't met it). You might try to sandwich the torn case between sheets
    of some material across the tear and rivet together, or even "sew" with
    some suitable cord. There's always duct tape. The strap idea someone
    posted was good too.

    Good luck,

    Mark J.

    Thanks for your reply, Mark

    I just realized what to do. Do the strap thing to get there.
    Then I'll use your sandwich idea.
    After arrival I will have access to a shop. I'll fabricate a strip of
    sheet metal to fit across the convoluted inside of the case behind the
    clip & rerivet the clip to the strip. Then I'll rivet or screw the ends
    of the strip in double shear to the case.

    Thanks a million, John

  8. john said:

    After arrival I will have access to a shop. I'll fabricate a strip of
    sheet metal to fit across the convoluted inside of the case behind the
    clip & rerivet the clip to the strip. Then I'll rivet or screw the ends
    of the strip in double shear to the case.

    If you have the equipment and skills, why not just go all
    Zero Halliburton on its ass? Make a custom case out of
    aluminum.

    --Blair

  9. john said:

    I just realized what to do. Do the strap thing to get there.
    Then I'll use your sandwich idea.
    After arrival I will have access to a shop. I'll fabricate a strip of
    sheet metal to fit across the convoluted inside of the case behind the
    clip & rerivet the clip to the strip. Then I'll rivet or screw the ends
    of the strip in double shear to the case.

    Thanks a million, John

    What I like to do in these situations is use fiberglass reinforced
    epoxy to make the patch. After the epoxy cures you can install rivets
    in strategic locations to ensure it can't break free. This will fit
    better than a fabricated piece of sheet metal and it won't matter if
    the epoxy bond breaks free of the plastic because the rivets will hold
    everything together. You can make it even stronger with a sheet of
    fiberglass on each side of the repair.

    You can get everything you need at Wal-mart. The fiberglass is in the
    automotive section. The epoxy and rivets are in hardware. Use some
    runny epoxy to get the fiberglass fully wetted.

  10. Quoted message said:

    What I like to do in these situations is use fiberglass reinforced
    epoxy to make the patch. After the epoxy cures you can install rivets
    in strategic locations to ensure it can't break free. This will fit
    better than a fabricated piece of sheet metal and it won't matter if
    the epoxy bond breaks free of the plastic because the rivets will hold
    everything together. You can make it even stronger with a sheet of
    fiberglass on each side of the repair.

    You can get everything you need at Wal-mart. The fiberglass is in the
    automotive section. The epoxy and rivets are in hardware. Use some
    runny epoxy to get the fiberglass fully wetted.

    I don't think it will work with polyethylene (PE). What i remember from
    when i used to windsurf is there are two kinds of material: themoplastics (PE)
    and thermoharders (polyesther or epoxy resin with glassfiber, carbon etc.).
    The way to repair PE back then was to melt it together.

    "amakyonin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    john said:

    I just realized what to do. Do the strap thing to get there.
    Then I'll use your sandwich idea.
    After arrival I will have access to a shop. I'll fabricate a strip of
    sheet metal to fit across the convoluted inside of the case behind the
    clip & rerivet the clip to the strip. Then I'll rivet or screw the ends
    of the strip in double shear to the case.

    Thanks a million, John

    What I like to do in these situations is use fiberglass reinforced
    epoxy to make the patch. After the epoxy cures you can install rivets
    in strategic locations to ensure it can't break free. This will fit
    better than a fabricated piece of sheet metal and it won't matter if
    the epoxy bond breaks free of the plastic because the rivets will hold
    everything together. You can make it even stronger with a sheet of
    fiberglass on each side of the repair.

    You can get everything you need at Wal-mart. The fiberglass is in the
    automotive section. The epoxy and rivets are in hardware. Use some
    runny epoxy to get the fiberglass fully wetted.

  11. Blair P. Houghton said:
    john said:

    After arrival I will have access to a shop. I'll fabricate a strip of
    sheet metal to fit across the convoluted inside of the case behind the
    clip & rerivet the clip to the strip. Then I'll rivet or screw the ends
    of the strip in double shear to the case.

    If you have the equipment and skills, why not just go all
    Zero Halliburton on its ass? Make a custom case out of
    aluminum.

    --Blair

    Well er er

    I don't have that degree of skill. Nor is the shop a sheet metal shop.
    But I can fabricate three ~2" wide strips, one w/ mutiple dog legs & 12
    holes, & 2 w/ 4 holes each, using a vice & drill press, & band saw.

    "(Put) (ed) Zero Halliburton on its ass" That would be cool to have
    that kind of equipment & skill ;-)

    John

  12. amakyonin said:
    john said:

    I just realized what to do. Do the strap thing to get there.
    Then I'll use your sandwich idea.
    After arrival I will have access to a shop. I'll fabricate a strip of
    sheet metal to fit across the convoluted inside of the case behind the
    clip & rerivet the clip to the strip. Then I'll rivet or screw the ends
    of the strip in double shear to the case.

    Thanks a million, John

    What I like to do in these situations is use fiberglass reinforced
    epoxy to make the patch. After the epoxy cures you can install rivets
    in strategic locations to ensure it can't break free. This will fit
    better than a fabricated piece of sheet metal and it won't matter if
    the epoxy bond breaks free of the plastic because the rivets will hold
    everything together. You can make it even stronger with a sheet of
    fiberglass on each side of the repair.

    You can get everything you need at Wal-mart. The fiberglass is in the
    automotive section. The epoxy and rivets are in hardware. Use some
    runny epoxy to get the fiberglass fully wetted.

    That's a great idea! Doesn't matter how well it bonds to the case.

    Thanks, John

  13. Mark said:


    Don't know of any glue suitable for polyethylene (it may exist, but I
    haven't met it). You might try to sandwich the torn case between sheets
    of some material across the tear and rivet together, or even "sew" with
    some suitable cord. There's always duct tape. The strap idea someone
    posted was good too.

    Polyethylene is a tough one to bond because of its pitiful surface
    energy.

    If you were looking to bond it on an industrial scale then you'd maybe
    be looking at some sort of flame or corona surface treatment to get
    the surface energy up.

    I tried an ad-hoc flame treatment when I needed to bond some
    polypropylene, which is as bad or worse than polyethylene, using an
    oxidising flame via a hand torch with "by luck and by golly".

    Either I couldn't get the surface decontaminated well enough or I
    couldn't control the heating closely enough to activate the surface
    without melting or distorting the part. None of the bonds was anything
    to write home about.

    OTOH, Scotch make a modified acrylic adhesive that claims to be
    suitable for bonding polyethylene, should you wish to patch the case.
    Beware, however, as that kind of specialist stuff don't come cheap.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.