Used 2010 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano 105's for $850 a great buy?

kyheng7

Feb 1, 2013
I'm looking in to buy my first road bike. I could go new but used seems right for me since I'm just starting. Mainly, I'm using it for commuting to work, ride distance for fitness and occasional hills Really noob questions but I don't want to make a regretting purchase. I found a seller selling a used 2010 Specialized Allez Sport for $850 equip with Shimano 105 gears, 30 miles old Gator Skins tires, DB4LW cyclometer (not sure if its good or not), and Inform Race Road Bontrager Shoes with attached cleats (could care less about the shoe but can I use the cleats on another shoe?). I'm not too sure what size the bike is, it says seat tube 52 cm and top tube 52.7 cm. I'm 5'6 ish to 5'7'' inseam 30'' slim build. Is this bike worth the price for it? If not, how much should I pay for it? Is the bike my size to get fit with? Any suggestions would help me a lot

It's probably a 52 if the top tube measurement given is actual and not "effective". If that's the "effective" top tube length it's probably a smaller size than a 52. "Effective" means measured against the hypothetical line if it had a horizontal top tube from the center of seattube to center of headtube, actual is laying down the tape measure against the tube itself. In the old days all bikes had horizontal top tubes and so effective was the same as actual. It may be a good size for your height if that's the actual. I don't know what the retail was so can't comment on being a good deal or not, but for what you are getting vs. what 800 can get you new seems good if in good condition - If it's the newer 105 with the cable routed underneath the handlebar tape I'd say definitely, if its the older stuff, it should work fine, just may not be a great deal.

Tires great for commuting but ride a little dead imo. The bike itself will certainly be capable of what you need it for as well as some entry level racing if you want.

The cleats can be swapped but since a new set goes for around 15 bucks not so important.

yes i would leave the shoes and cleats out and buy new instead, size is looking good for you, you might need to adjust the seatpost, saddle and stem to fine tune your position, just double check, like danfoz suggested, about the Shimano 105 year, they keep improving every couple of years, people pay over 2K for economy seats in the super bowl, i just read that, so 850 for a decent bike... with all the benefits, fun and adventures the bikes bring for a long period of time,