USENET gateway FAQ

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Updated 01/8/2004

Q: What is USENET?

A: For a short answer goto: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci213262,00.html
For the detailed answer goto: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/what-is/part1/

Q: Why are they here?
A: cyclingforums.com provides a gateway to the selected cycling and health/fitness related newsgroups.

Some people find it difficult to set up their news reader. Others do not know the newsgroups exist.

Q: Can cyclingforums.com control the contents?
A: No, this is simply a gateway, most of the posts are not posted by cyclingforums.com members. These posts are not moderated!

Q: How can I stop my newsgroup post from appearing on cyclingforums.com?
A: Our gateway will honor 'X-No-Archive: Yes' headers, read your news clients help files for info on how to add this setting.

Q: Can I use the forums to post to the newsgroups?
A: Yes, you can post a news post just like posting a message to the forums.

Any new posts or replies posted to the USENET section will be sent to USENET. Do not post in USENET section if you only want a local discussion.

Q: What should I know before I post?
A: Newsgroup netiquette: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/introduction.html

Q: Can I delete my post in this section?
A: NO

Q: Can I post attachments?
A: NO, all the newsgroups we provide a gateway to are text based.

Q: Can I edit my post?
A: No, edits will only be reflected locally on cyclingforums.com

Q: Do forum subscriptions work for newsgroups?
A: Yes, forum and thread subscriptions work the same way as the standard forums. You can select to receive the following:
Instant notification: You get an email when someone posts a reply to a thread your subscribed to.
Daily updates: You receive a daily email update of active threads and new posts.
Weekly updates: You receive a weekly email update of active threads and new posts.

Weekly and daily subscriptions are recommended so forum subscriptions rather than a single thread. Subscriptions can be managed from your User Control Panel.

Q: Can cyclingforums.com ban people from posting to newsgroups?
A: No, go back to the top and visit the links provided and stop asking stupid questions :)

I have not used my account for a long time. Why am I unable to post new threads or reply to threads on aus.bicycle?

Paul J said:
I have not used my account for a long time. Why am I unable to post new threads or reply to threads on aus.bicycle?
Ummm.... "me too" as they say at AOL.
And why has his question gone unanswered for 3 months?
Are we asking in the wrong place?

cheers, Mike.

myk said:
Ummm.... "me too" as they say at AOL.
And why has his question gone unanswered for 3 months?
Are we asking in the wrong place?

cheers, Mike.

Only three months? Seems to still be a problem.

ozcanadian said:
i can't post replies either:confused: (except on this thread).
Have the same problem. Can't post, can't reply (except here and intro thread) but queries go unanswered:mad:

Same problem if on aus.bicycle however I can post to the cyclingforums.com main threads

Also can't get an answer

I have not used my accont in a very long time.Why can't i post on rec bicycle marketplace?

Danny

Hello !

I am lost ! What to do to find a place where to discuss about the history of british cycling ?
Take care,
Pascal

Ah! Well at least I've found a spot where I CAN post. This seems to be the only place. Maybe we should start our own discussion

Paconi said:
Ah! Well at least I've found a spot where I CAN post. This seems to be the only place. Maybe we should start our own discussion

Someone help, I'm a prisoner here, too.