Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Using motorcycle panniers on the pushy

Started by Jules · · Last activity · 11 posts · 876 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
22 May 2007
Last activity
24 May 2007
Original author
Jules
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
876
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have some throw-over motorcycle panniers that were sitting in a
    cupboard for a few years now, and it occurred to me that they might be
    re-purposable.

    I chucked them onto the rack, and with one occy strap, had a pretty
    solid rig:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/z0s0/tags/touring/

    They're big, but not heavy, and are mega-expandable. Expanding them
    wouldn't be good for the wind resistance profile, but at least the space
    is there if you need it.

    I loaded them up with some heavy stuff, and took it for a quick ride,
    jumping some kerbs for good measure. Everything stayed in place and the
    handling wasn't particularly screwy.

    I think I'm sold!

    Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
    than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
    although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
    confident that's not a huge problem.

    Cheers,
    Jules

  2. Jules said:


    Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
    than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
    although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
    confident that's not a huge problem.

    Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy stuff. With carrying slabs please ensure that your pannier rack is securely, and I mean, securely bolted on. Last year I snapped a bolt on the stays by just rolling over a gutter with only a six-pack on board, luckily there was a emergency occy strap on board to get the weight off the wheels for the journey homewards. (ok that was probably slightly out of spec). As for panniers if it works for you, use it, as there's plenty of interesting DIY load carrying stuff out there. 😉

  3. Jules said:

    I have some throw-over motorcycle panniers that were sitting in a
    cupboard for a few years now, and it occurred to me that they might be
    re-purposable.

    I chucked them onto the rack, and with one occy strap, had a pretty
    solid rig:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/z0s0/tags/touring/

    They're big, but not heavy, and are mega-expandable. Expanding them
    wouldn't be good for the wind resistance profile, but at least the space
    is there if you need it.

    I loaded them up with some heavy stuff, and took it for a quick ride,
    jumping some kerbs for good measure. Everything stayed in place and the
    handling wasn't particularly screwy.

    I think I'm sold!

    Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
    than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
    although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
    confident that's not a huge problem.

    Cheers,
    Jules

    I can remember using motorbike panniers for a while many years back now.
    I remember that they were much cheaper than dedicated bike panniers
    (which were pretty rare anyway). The only problems I remember where
    that they were relatively heavy and there was no stiffening in them so
    they tended to sag into the rear wheel. I think I solve the latter
    problem with some thin pieces of plywood.

    I also used to have a belt mounting binocular pouch from army disposals
    rigged up as a handlebar bag.

    All seemed to work OK but I got rid of it all once I got enough money to
    get proper stuff.....

    DeF

    --
    To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.

  4. In aus.bicycle on Tue, 22 May 2007 20:51:57 +0800

    DeF said:


    I also used to have a belt mounting binocular pouch from army disposals
    rigged up as a handlebar bag.

    cheap backpacks can be rigged as panniers fairly easily. Work on
    powered and unpowered two wheelers. Have to get creative with the
    strapes so they don't get into the wheel, but it's not hard.

    Did that for years with those khaki canvas small packs from army
    disposals.

    One of the sad things off life - bugger all real "army disposal" now.
    Used to be lots of very solid and tough gear that cost little and
    lasted forever. Now it's all cheap knockoffs, even the East German
    stuff is all gone.

    Zebee

  5. Jules said:

    I have some throw-over motorcycle panniers that were sitting in a
    cupboard for a few years now, and it occurred to me that they might be
    re-purposable.

    I chucked them onto the rack, and with one occy strap, had a pretty
    solid rig:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/z0s0/tags/touring/

    Ah, the DriRider panniers? Mine accompanied me on a 19,000km round-
    Australia motorcycle trip, and the only casualty was a plastic buckle
    breaking in a fall.

    They work well, but I haven't used them since then - I haven't needed
    to carry that much luggage.

    BTH

  6. cfsmtb said:
    Jules said:

    Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
    than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
    although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
    confident that's not a huge problem.

    Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy
    stuff.

    Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
    I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
    a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
    next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
    fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

    BTH

  7. BT Humble said:
    cfsmtb said:
    Jules said:

    Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
    than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
    although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
    confident that's not a huge problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy
    stuff.

    Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
    I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
    a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
    next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
    fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

    We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
    cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
    the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
    time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

  8. BT Humble said:
    cfsmtb said:
    Jules said:

    Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
    than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
    although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
    confident that's not a huge problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy
    stuff.

    Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
    I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
    a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
    next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
    fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

    We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
    cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
    the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
    time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

  9. Bleve said:
    BTHumble said:

    Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
    I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
    a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
    next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
    fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

    We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
    cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
    the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
    time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

    That's what I thought. I might have to build myself a new rear wheel
    for the GVBR - anyone got a 27" aluminium rim they'd like to part
    with?

    BTH

  10. BT Humble said:
    Bleve said:
    BTHumble said:

    Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
    I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
    a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
    next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
    fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

    Quoted message said:

    We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
    cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
    the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
    time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

    That's what I thought. I might have to build myself a new rear wheel
    for the GVBR - anyone got a 27" aluminium rim they'd like to part
    with?

    Dozens, they're trashed through 🙂

  11. Bleve said:
    BTHumble said:

    That's what I thought. I might have to build myself a new rear wheel
    for the GVBR - anyone got a 27" aluminium rim they'd like to part
    with?

    Dozens, they're trashed through 🙂- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks ever so much, you've been most unhelpful! ;-)

    Does trashed=worn out braking surface, or trashed=horribly bent?

    BTH

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.