Powerful Pete said:Ok, in the authority conferred to me by no one, I would like to open the official thread on the WC. ๐
I noticed that Boonen, Valverde and Bettini have all three demonstrated through their wins in the Vuelta that they are in excellent shape and will have to be reckoned with in the WCs.
Comments? Thoughts?
My initial thoughts are, like yours, that Boonen, Valverde and Bettini will all feature.
As with every year, the team which rides best as a squad will determine who wins.
In the 2007 World Road Race in Stuttgart, the Italian squad rode as a team and tactically in the last few kilometres the team made sure that Bettini was correctly positioned for the win.
For 2008, I think that the Spanish squad present a serious threat and could provide the winner.
The Spaniards could decide to work for Freire.
But there are other riders who have hard a superb season and could feature for the podium places - Schleck brothers, Cancellara, Schumacher, O'Grady.
Let me have a look at the provisional start list before going in to more detail.