Vaughters' palmares

Nick Burns

Guest
Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win
in the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK there were no stage wins and no finishes at the
Tour for him.

I wonder what they were thinking of?

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win in
> the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK
there
> were no stage wins and no finishes at the Tour for him.
>
> I wonder what they were thinking of?

Team Time Trial with CA.

-T

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:21:45 -0800, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win
>in the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK there were no stage wins and no finishes at the
>Tour for him.
>
>I wonder what they were thinking of?

He was part of the team that won a TTT stage.

JT
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

On 11/15/2003 16:21, in article [email protected], "Nick Burns"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win in
> the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK there were no stage wins and no finishes at the Tour
> for him.
>
> I wonder what they were thinking of?

The stage win was on Ventoux, but not in the Tour. I think it was the Dauphine.

Baird

On 11/15/2003 02:21 PM, in article [email protected], "Nick Burns"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win in
> the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK there were no stage wins and no finishes at the Tour
> for him.
>
> I wonder what they were thinking of?

2001 or 2002 TTT (with Credit Agricole).

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

On 11/15/2003 04:59 PM, in article BBDC2806.34654%[email protected], "Baird Webel"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 11/15/2003 16:21, in article [email protected], "Nick Burns"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win in
>> the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK there were no stage wins and no finishes at the Tour
>> for him.
>>
>> I wonder what they were thinking of?
>>

> The stage win was on Ventoux, but not in the Tour. I think it was the Dauphine.

I think he twice won the Ventoux in the Dauphine ... In 1999 and 2000 if I recall correctly. The
Tour stage win was a TTT with Credit Agricole.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

"Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters and mentioned a stage win
> > in the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK
> there
> > were no stage wins and no finishes at the Tour for him.

OK, thanks. I wonder why the Tour archives don't count TTT wins as stage wins for the individual?

> > I wonder what they were thinking of?
> >

> Team Time Trial with CA.
>
> -T

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Cyclingnews.com wrote an article about the retirement of J Vaughters
and
> > > mentioned a stage win in the Tour. What are they talking about? AFAIK
> > there
> > > were no stage wins and no finishes at the Tour for him.
> > >

> OK, thanks. I wonder why the Tour archives don't count TTT wins as stage wins for the individual?

TTT should not count on individual palmares.

As long as it is listed as a TTT this should count as a stage win on his record. Why not ? He was on
the winning team for a stage victory in a team event.

Should the backup QB, who played one down, be denied a SuperBowl ring just because he did not
contribute to a score ?

> and
> there
> > > >

> > OK, thanks. I wonder why the Tour archives don't count TTT wins as stage wins for the
> > individual?
>

> TTT should not count on individual palmares.

"Steven Gee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As long as it is listed as a TTT this should count as a stage win on his record. Why not ? He was
> on the winning team for a stage victory in a team event.

Obviously an ITT win is more important but I do agree that some recognition is due. The problem is
that not everyone agrees. As I said, the Tour archives do not credit him with the stage. I also
think it would have been very interesting for Lance if he failed to win that single mountain stage
this year. Everyone expects the GC winner to win a stage as well and he would have been able to
claim the TTT, but many would not accept that.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> TTT should not count on individual palmares.

That would be as unfair as the TTT itself is to the GC :)

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> Nick Burns wrote:
> >> OK, thanks. I wonder why the Tour archives don't count TTT wins as stage wins for the
> >> individual?
>
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > TTT should not count on individual palmares.
>
> That would be as unfair as the TTT itself is to the GC :)

Dumbass -

that's why they're handicapping it this year.

Vaughters is skinny and he looks silly in every photo i have ever seen of him... so who cares what
he ever won?...

how about THAT!...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (erik saunders) wrote:

> Vaughters is skinny and he looks silly in every photo i have ever seen of him... so who cares what
> he ever won?...
>
> how about THAT!...

You're jealous of his sideburns. Don't deny it. You know you are.

--
tanx, Howard

"Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"
"No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"
Firesign Theatre

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?