Veloce - Centaur upgrade.

gianttcr

Sep 12, 2007
I am currently upgrading my bike.

To be a bit informed before talking to the LBS, I would appreciate any advice in relation to upgrading veloce to centaur, in particular cost and performance. Is it really worth the extra $$.

Thanks in advance for your help.

gianttcr said:
I am currently upgrading my bike.

To be a bit informed before talking to the LBS, I would appreciate any advice in relation to upgrading veloce to centaur, in particular cost and performance. Is it really worth the extra $$.
IMO. The mechanical difference between Centaur & Veloce is insignificant ... Heck, the mechanical difference between ALL (except the Xenon) of the pre-2007 shifters (from Record down to Mirage) was insignificant.

The current (2007-08) Centaur/Veloce/Mirage shifters have a mechanism which is apparently interchangeable with the pre-2007 Xenon shifters ...

The most recent Centaur group has some Carbon Fiber components, now.

Presuming you have a relatively recent group (post-2001 with rounded shifter hoods), you CAN simply buy a new Ultra Torque crankset (or, Shimano Hollotech II, FSA MegaExo, etc. crankset) to upgrade your bike in a somewhat meaningful way ... OR, continue to use the current group, as is, BUT install new cables & housing + new handlebar tape and/or a new chain rather than "upgrade" your bike ...