Velonews: Giro: Porte Flying, But Sky?

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
SPTDW308-320x213.jpg
Richie Porte rode to fifth place in stage 5 of the Giro, despite losing most of his teammates by the decisive final climb. Photo: Tim De Waele | TDWsport.com
ABETONE, Italy (VN) — Richie Porte rode effortlessly on the Giro d’Italia’s Abetone climb Wednesday, but a lack of Sky’s men in black around him raised some eyebrows.
Porte zipped up to new race leader Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) after his attack at five kilometers remaining. The Australian from Tasmania appeared just as strong, perhaps more, than Contador.
Contador and Fabio Aru of team Astana, however, each had three helpers when Porte only had Leopold König. It looked nothing like the famous black train that Sky employed to win the 2013 Tour de France with Chris Froome or the 2012 edition with Bradley Wiggins.
“Worried? Not really,” Porte said when the media surrounded him at the finish of the 17-kilometer climb. “I had König, who looked after me well.”
Contador had an all-star cast looking after his front wheel in the early kilometers of the climb: Ivan Basso, Roman Kreuziger, and former Sky rider, Michael Rogers. Aru had aces like Mikel Landa.
Porte’s wingmen for the Giro, beside König, include Mikel Nieve, Sebastian Henao, Vasil Kiryienka and Kanstantsin Siutsou.
“I wouldn’t read too much into at the moment,” Rogers told VeloNews.
“It’s still early days. The race will turn on its side. When you have reserves, that’s one thing because you can hold your own, but in the last week, when the reserves start to diminish, everything changes again.”
The Tinkoff neon-yellow train led the peloton Wednesday and Monday, Astana did so Tuesday with its turquoise train for Aru.
The men in black may be called to service for Porte already Saturday in the race’s second summit finish. If not, they could come to the fore for the Alpine passes of the third week.
“It’s like that, one team’s there one day, the other is there the next,” former classics star and Italian team director, Paolo Bettini explained.
“Yesterday, Astana had many riders, Alberto was alone only with Basso and Kreuziger was up the road. Sky had only a few riders today.
“The Giro began with some tough stages, the team has to find the right rhythm. Let’s wait to judge. The next big day on Saturday will tell us more.”
Porte sits third at 20 seconds behind Contador and 18 seconds behind Aru in second place overall. He looked at ease finishing with Contador today and said he was happy with his ride.
“After yesterday there were a lot tired guys, but yes, I think obviously we had a select group. I’m feeling good. I just hope to keep going like this day by day,” Porte explained.
“Contador and Aru’s attack? That was expected, to be honest. I’m happy where I’m at, feeling stronger day by day, and looking forward to keep on fighting.”
The post Giro: Porte flying, but Sky? appeared first on VeloNews.com.

View the full article