Very light butyl tubes vs latex...?

domaindomain

Dec 20, 2004
The Vittoria EVO claims a weight of 55g which, for a butyl tube must be as light as they come....

Do you prefer these or to just go the whole hog with latex?

domaindomain said:
The Vittoria EVO claims a weight of 55g which, for a butyl tube must be as light as they come....

Do you prefer these or to just go the whole hog with latex?
I've used both Vittoria Latex and the EVO, I found the EVO to be quite fragile, the latex is in my opinion the better investment.

I have heard exactly the opposite too - that the butyl is more durable....

one vote each then so far!

domaindomain said:

Continental SuperSonic at 50grams are lighter :)

I find that the EVO's lose pressure quickly; the SuperSonics are far better in that regard in my opinion.

Supersonics are great. They don't lose air too quickly, they are very light and easy to install. Latex tubes are more comfortable, more temperamental, faster, harder to repair and lose air quickly. Tyres usually need to be powdered before installing a latex tube. They are made for racing.

They are made for racing.
Disagree! It's true that latex tubes need to be pumped up to correct pressure daily, but that's the only downside. They are perfectly fine for everyday use. They are MUCH less susceptible to punctures and pinch-flats than the ultralight (and ultra thin) butyl tubes. When used with high quality tires they provide performance that rivals tubulars. I've logged a ton of miles using Michelin Airstop Latex tubes with Michelin Pro Race, Veloflex Pave, Gommitalia Calypso, and now Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX without a flat. And latex tubes are as easily fixed with glueless patches as butyl. And really, all tubes (latex or butyl) and the interior of tires should be dusted with talc prior to mounting. It makes tire mounting easier and lets the tube and tire shift independently of each other in response to road conditions and manuvering, improving ride quality and durability.

mwestray said:
Disagree! It's true that latex tubes need to be pumped up to correct pressure daily, but that's the only downside. They are perfectly fine for everyday use. They are MUCH less susceptible to punctures and pinch-flats than the ultralight (and ultra thin) butyl tubes. When used with high quality tires they provide performance that rivals tubulars. I've logged a ton of miles using Michelin Airstop Latex tubes with Michelin Pro Race, Veloflex Pave, Gommitalia Calypso, and now Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX without a flat. And latex tubes are as easily fixed with glueless patches as butyl. And really, all tubes (latex or butyl) and the interior of tires should be dusted with talc prior to mounting. It makes tire mounting easier and lets the tube and tire shift independently of each other in response to road conditions and manuvering, improving ride quality and durability.
+1 I used to get a lot of pinch flats with lightweight butyl tubes like the EVO, with the Vittoria latex I haven't had a flat or blow out in using them for 2 years. They also have a more supple ride and are supposed to reduce rolling resistance. The small downside is having to top them up before every ride and the price compared to butyl tubes, but since I've never had to replace them, their worth the extra cost. Performance with a supple tire like the Michelin Pro Race 2 Special edition is excellent.

parawolf said:
Continental SuperSonic at 50grams are lighter :)

I find that the EVO's lose pressure quickly; the SuperSonics are far better in that regard in my opinion.
I didn't have any luck with the SuperSonic I used, it split. Perhaps I was unlucky.

Okay, I know all the lower RR higher comfort is true about latex but a few things about butyl tubes......

If a sharp pointy thing is sharp and pointy enough to get through a tyre casing, a tube sure as hell ain't gonna stop it, indiscriminate of type (okay maybe thorn-proof tubes, but they weigh in the realm of 400g for a tube), they are too thin. If the sharp thing nicks the tube, it'll produce a weak spot which 100psi will love to attack and will form a hole eventually. So, there is logic in ultra-light ultra-thin tubes.

I don't know how low you go with your pressures, how heavy you are or how **** you are at hopping curbs, pinch flatting a tyre @ 100psi+ is extremely unlikely. I haven't even managed to pinch flat 25psi MTB (1.95 width) tyres with my appalling log hopping. If you are talking about pinch flatting putting a tyre on, practice it more and buy some michelin tyre levers, or continental, they are the same.

Defining pinch flatting. Pinching the tube against the edge of the rim after a serious impact, causing the rim to pierce the tube????

If you are using a different definition, please tell me, cause AFAIK it is damn near impossible to pinch flat a narrow, very high pressure tyre under normal circumstances.

mikesbytes said:
I didn't have any luck with the SuperSonic I used, it split. Perhaps I was unlucky.
It must have been bad luck. I can see that there would be some margin for factory error in that aspect.