General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Very OT: Fever or not?

Started by Wayne Boatwright · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,058 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 April 2005
Last activity
4 April 2005
Original author
Wayne Boatwright
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,058
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very feverish.
    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually "subnormal", e.g.,
    96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  2. Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]>, if that's their real name,

    Quoted message said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very feverish.
    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually "subnormal", e.g.,
    96.7 degrees F.

    You may have a low normal temperature. When I'm healthy, mine is 96.8.
    You might want to take your temp a few times when you're feeling well, to
    establish a baseline.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    No idea why, but yes, it does happen to me, too.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  3. Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very feverish.
    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually "subnormal", e.g.,
    96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Have you calibrated that thermometer in boiling water at sea level? 😉
    What's your normal body temp with the thermometer in question when you
    are well? My normal temp is 97.0 (cold hearted [censored] and all) if my
    temp hits "normal" I'm in sorry shape.

    I'd question the thermometer.

    Jessica

  4. Jessica V. said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    My "normal" "well" temperature is 98.1°F, so if I'm at 98.6 which is
    considered "normal" in the medical community, I have a slight feaver.
    I sure do hope that the 96.7 that you wrote above was just an example,
    or that your thermometer is just plain wrong. That sounds way too low
    to not need immediate medical attention.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have you calibrated that thermometer in boiling water at sea level?
    😉
    What's your normal body temp with the thermometer in question when
    you
    are well? My normal temp is 97.0 (cold hearted [censored] and all) if
    my
    temp hits "normal" I'm in sorry shape.

    I'd question the thermometer.

    Jessica

    I don't think that I'd stick my thermometer in boiling water...most
    made for taking temperature of humans will only go to about 103°F, and
    will break if the mercury type, or can lose calebration if subjected
    to 212°F temperatures.

    BOB

  5. On Sat 02 Apr 2005 08:46:05p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]>, if that's their real name,

    Quoted message said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    You may have a low normal temperature. When I'm healthy, mine is 96.8.
    You might want to take your temp a few times when you're feeling well,
    to establish a baseline.

    You may be ( and probably are) correct. I've just never thought of
    checking my temperature when I'm feeling well. I must remember to do this,
    as this has puzzled me for years.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    No idea why, but yes, it does happen to me, too.

    Then I'm in good company!

    Quoted message said:

    Carol

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  6. On Sat 02 Apr 2005 08:49:38p, Jessica V. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Have you calibrated that thermometer in boiling water at sea level? 😉
    What's your normal body temp with the thermometer in question when you
    are well? My normal temp is 97.0 (cold hearted [censored] and all) if my
    temp hits "normal" I'm in sorry shape.

    I'd question the thermometer.

    I've never thought to calibrate the termometer, but I doubt it could
    withstand 212 degrees F., since it's design is for bodily temperature.

    My current thermometer is a digital, as was it's predecessor, and before
    that a mercury bulb model. My experience with all of them is the same.

    Could be that my "normal" temp is below 98.6, but I've never thought to
    check. I need to do this.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  7. On Sat 02 Apr 2005 09:04:45p, BOB wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Jessica V. said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    My "normal" "well" temperature is 98.1°F, so if I'm at 98.6 which is
    considered "normal" in the medical community, I have a slight feaver.
    I sure do hope that the 96.7 that you wrote above was just an example,
    or that your thermometer is just plain wrong. That sounds way too low
    to not need immediate medical attention.

    96.7 was the actual reading about an hour ago. I need to check my
    "normal" temp, but I never remember to do so. These subnormal temps have
    been common with me all my life using various thermometers.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have you calibrated that thermometer in boiling water at sea level?
    😉
    What's your normal body temp with the thermometer in question when
    you are well? My normal temp is 97.0 (cold hearted [censored] and all) if
    my temp hits "normal" I'm in sorry shape.

    I'd question the thermometer.

    Jessica

    I don't think that I'd stick my thermometer in boiling water...most
    made for taking temperature of humans will only go to about 103°F, and
    will break if the mercury type, or can lose calebration if subjected
    to 212°F temperatures.

    BOB

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  8. Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very


    feverish.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually "subnormal",


    e.g.,

    Quoted message said:

    96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Yes, and it's inexplicable to me. There have been a few times when
    I've felt sick with a slight fever and took my temperature. *Below*
    normal and the mercury won't move even if I keep the thermometer in my
    mouth for a longish time. Also happens with a digital thermometer.
    One possibility for you is that if you take your temp soon after
    getting out of bed it'll be lower than normal....so if you're been
    napping and take your temp.....frankly, it doesn't seem to make any
    difference for me but maybe for you? :-)

    Mac

  9. My body temp usually runs around 97.4 although dropping to 96.4 is not
    abnormal. The lowest it's ever been was 95 degrees and I was able to
    donate blood, but just barely. The hottest I've ever been was 105
    degrees when I was knocked out with a bad case of the flu. I probably
    should have gone to the doctor but I was too sick to get out of bed.

    And yes I've felt the way you do when stuck with a nasty cold. It's
    strange cold/clammy/hot feeling.

    Mary

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very


    feverish.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually


    "subnormal",

    Quoted message said:

    e.g.,

    Quoted message said:

    96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Yes, and it's inexplicable to me. There have been a few times when
    I've felt sick with a slight fever and took my temperature. *Below*
    normal and the mercury won't move even if I keep the thermometer in


    my

    Quoted message said:

    mouth for a longish time. Also happens with a digital thermometer.
    One possibility for you is that if you take your temp soon after
    getting out of bed it'll be lower than normal....so if you're been
    napping and take your temp.....frankly, it doesn't seem to make any
    difference for me but maybe for you? :-)

    Mac

  10. On Sat 02 Apr 2005 09:28:57p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Yes, and it's inexplicable to me. There have been a few times when
    I've felt sick with a slight fever and took my temperature. *Below*
    normal and the mercury won't move even if I keep the thermometer in my
    mouth for a longish time. Also happens with a digital thermometer.
    One possibility for you is that if you take your temp soon after
    getting out of bed it'll be lower than normal....so if you're been
    napping and take your temp.....frankly, it doesn't seem to make any
    difference for me but maybe for you? :-)

    Mac

    No, not the reason, but point well taken. I've had actual high
    temperatures a few times in my life, anywhere between 101-102.6, and at the
    high end, almost delirious, but more often than not, it's low.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  11. On Sat 02 Apr 2005 09:36:16p, Mash wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    My body temp usually runs around 97.4 although dropping to 96.4 is not
    abnormal. The lowest it's ever been was 95 degrees and I was able to
    donate blood, but just barely. The hottest I've ever been was 105
    degrees when I was knocked out with a bad case of the flu. I probably
    should have gone to the doctor but I was too sick to get out of bed.

    And yes I've felt the way you do when stuck with a nasty cold. It's
    strange cold/clammy/hot feeling.

    That's certainly an apt description. Just the way I feel.

    Quoted message said:

    Mary

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Yes, and it's inexplicable to me. There have been a few times when
    I've felt sick with a slight fever and took my temperature. *Below*
    normal and the mercury won't move even if I keep the thermometer in my
    mouth for a longish time. Also happens with a digital thermometer.
    One possibility for you is that if you take your temp soon after
    getting out of bed it'll be lower than normal....so if you're been
    napping and take your temp.....frankly, it doesn't seem to make any
    difference for me but maybe for you? :-)

    Mac

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Sat 02 Apr 2005 09:04:45p, BOB wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Jessica V. said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    > feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    > "subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.
    >
    > Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    My "normal" "well" temperature is 98.1°F, so if I'm at 98.6 which is
    considered "normal" in the medical community, I have a slight feaver.
    I sure do hope that the 96.7 that you wrote above was just an example,
    or that your thermometer is just plain wrong. That sounds way too low
    to not need immediate medical attention.

    96.7 was the actual reading about an hour ago. I need to check my
    "normal" temp, but I never remember to do so. These subnormal temps have
    been common with me all my life using various thermometers.

    98.6 isn't really normal. If the story I heard is correct, it's just an
    old average that someone took. He did it in Celsius, giving 37 degrees.
    That gets translated into 98.6 in Farenheit, making it seem much more
    exact than it really is. Your temperature also tends to vary throughout
    the day.

    I'm not sure what the normal range is considered, but I'm pretty sure
    it's not a fever until you break 100.

    Aaron

  13. Wayne Boatwright said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very feverish.
    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually "subnormal", e.g.,
    96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Sure. That 98.6 business is an average sort of thing. One of my kids
    stayed at 99.1 when she was little. My youngest usually reads 98.4. It's
    not unusual for temps to be off that "normal" 98.6.

    Check it in good health to see what your personal benchmark is.

    Pastorio

  14. Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat 02 Apr 2005 08:46:05p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]>, if that's their real
    name, wrote:

    >When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    >feverish. Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually
    >"subnormal", e.g., 96.7 degrees F.

    You may have a low normal temperature. When I'm healthy, mine is
    96.8. You might want to take your temp a few times when you're
    feeling well, to establish a baseline.

    You may be ( and probably are) correct. I've just never thought of
    checking my temperature when I'm feeling well. I must remember to do
    this, as this has puzzled me for years.

    Not me. When I'm sick my temp goes waaaaay up. My temp is 98.7
    normally. I have had a low temp when I'm sick and very cold but
    usually it is high.

    Michael

    When I was hospitalized, they always take your temperature, and mine was
    always up to 100, but it was a false temperature!

    The bed I was in had a mattress cover that was made of some type of
    rubber, so when I was lying on it, there was no air circulation between
    the fitted sheet and the rubber cover, which caused me to sweat and raise
    my temperature. I told the nurses, but they didn't believe me.

    If I got out of bed, and sat in a chair, my temperature dropped to normal
    in 1/2 hour. One night I woke up in a pool of sweat (cooking around 102).
    When I sat in the chair while the nurses mopped up and changed the
    sheets, they realized what I was talking about. Didn't raise many
    eyebrows though. They just upped my pain med to shut me up. Fidiots!

    Andy

    --
    "What can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong..."
    - Pop

  15. In Andy said:

    When I was hospitalized, they always take your temperature, and mine
    was always up to 100, but it was a false temperature!

    The bed I was in had a mattress cover that was made of some type of
    rubber, so when I was lying on it, there was no air circulation
    between the fitted sheet and the rubber cover, which caused me to
    sweat and raise my temperature. I told the nurses, but they didn't
    believe me.

    If I got out of bed, and sat in a chair, my temperature dropped to
    normal in 1/2 hour. One night I woke up in a pool of sweat (cooking
    around 102). When I sat in the chair while the nurses mopped up and
    changed the sheets, they realized what I was talking about. Didn't
    raise many eyebrows though. They just upped my pain med to shut me up.
    Fidiots!

    Yeah I hear ya. Heck, even an expert in the kitchen will listen to
    outside help :-)

    --
    Cheers

    Dennis

    Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

  16. "Wayne Boatwright" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    When I have a bad cold (which I do now) or flu, I often feel very
    feverish.
    Yet, when I take my temperature, the reading is usually "subnormal", e.g.,
    96.7 degrees F.

    Anyone know why? Does this happen to anyone else?

    Happens to me all the time, and I don't know why either. Heck, a couple
    years ago, I spend nearly 3 weeks in the hospital with a pneumoccal (sp?)
    infection, and my temperature never once got as high as 98, much less 98.6.

    Pam

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.