General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Vichyssoise

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 40 posts · 564 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 August 2007
Last activity
8 August 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
564
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. email hidden said:

    There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup? I
    saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    He's an idiot. <snort> Chef indeed.

    TammyM

  2. Quoted post said:

    There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup? I
    saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    My great-grandmother was French and made vichyssoise all the time in
    the summer. He's eitherconfusing it with bouillabaisse, or he needs
    to get the hell away from a kitchen. Oy vay, I wonder what he thinks
    is in Creme Brulee - lamb shanks?

    Cheere,
    Steve

  3. Dave Smith said:
    Quoted post said:

    There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup? I
    saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    The only thing fishy here is that someone would show up and claim that a
    chef he works with thinks vichyssoise is fish stew.

    Excuse me? Just what do you mean by that remark?

  4. Quoted post said:
    Quoted message said:

    The only thing fishy here is that someone would show up and claim that a
    chef he works with thinks vichyssoise is fish stew.

    Excuse me? Just what do you mean by that remark?

    I find it hard to believe that a *chef* would insist that Vichyssoise is a
    fish stew.

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:
    Quoted post said:

    There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup? I
    saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    The only thing fishy here is that someone would show up and claim that a
    chef he works with thinks vichyssoise is fish stew.

    Excuse me? Just what do you mean by that remark?

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.

  6. JoeSpareBedroom said:

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.

    I'm reading _Service Included_ by Phoebe Damrosch about waiting tables
    in a 4 star restaurant. She describes how they all call each other
    "Chef" including those working the front of the house.

    --Lia

  7. "Julia Altshuler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JoeSpareBedroom said:

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this
    person work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and
    burgers, you might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook".
    But, say "cook" at a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.

    I'm reading _Service Included_ by Phoebe Damrosch about waiting tables in
    a 4 star restaurant. She describes how they all call each other "Chef"
    including those working the front of the house.

    --Lia

    Do they say why they do that? I mean, in a well-run restaurant, everyone
    contributes to the dining experience. But, some chefs consider themselves
    somehow exalted, like some doctors. So, maybe the staff is making fun of
    them. The head chef might expect to be called "Chef Jones", instead of just
    Jim.

  8. JoeSpareBedroom said:

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm reading _Service Included_ by Phoebe Damrosch about waiting tables in
    a 4 star restaurant. She describes how they all call each other "Chef"
    including those working the front of the house.

    Quoted message said:

    Do they say why they do that? I mean, in a well-run restaurant, everyone
    contributes to the dining experience. But, some chefs consider themselves
    somehow exalted, like some doctors. So, maybe the staff is making fun of
    them. The head chef might expect to be called "Chef Jones", instead of just
    Jim.

    She made it sound like a cute affectation, a sort of in-joke, like a
    secret handshake, but also a sign of respect. She talks about calling
    other people "Chef" the way some people call everyone they know "Pal,"
    or "Buddy," or "Hon."

    --Lia

  9. "Julia Altshuler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JoeSpareBedroom said:

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm reading _Service Included_ by Phoebe Damrosch about waiting tables in
    a 4 star restaurant. She describes how they all call each other "Chef"
    including those working the front of the house.

    Quoted message said:

    Do they say why they do that? I mean, in a well-run restaurant, everyone
    contributes to the dining experience. But, some chefs consider themselves
    somehow exalted, like some doctors. So, maybe the staff is making fun of
    them. The head chef might expect to be called "Chef Jones", instead of
    just Jim.

    She made it sound like a cute affectation, a sort of in-joke, like a
    secret handshake, but also a sign of respect. She talks about calling
    other people "Chef" the way some people call everyone they know "Pal," or
    "Buddy," or "Hon."

    --Lia

    OK. It sounds like they were goofing on the chef's desire to be called "Chef
    Whatever", in the same way the penis in the White House expects to be called
    "Mr. President".

  10. JoeSpareBedroom said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:

    "[email hidden]" wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    > vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    > it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    > thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    > stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    > vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup? I
    > saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    > an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    > reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The only thing fishy here is that someone would show up and claim that a
    chef he works with thinks vichyssoise is fish stew.

    Quoted message said:

    Excuse me? Just what do you mean by that remark?

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

  11. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JoeSpareBedroom said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Aug 6, 10:54?pm, Dave Smith <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > "[email hidden]" wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > > There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    > > vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    > > it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    > > thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    > > stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    > > vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup?
    > > I
    > > saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    > > an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    > > reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    Quoted message said:

    > The only thing fishy here is that someone would show up and claim that
    > a
    > chef he works with thinks vichyssoise is fish stew.

    Quoted message said:

    Excuse me? Just what do you mean by that remark?

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this
    person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers,
    you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook"
    at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    He knows everything. You just explained everything. I've known what
    vichyssoise was since I was probably 8 years old. Tell your friend to check
    out a relatively new technological innovation: books.

  12. Quoted post said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    You are being evasive here. Is he a chef?

    He has done everything? I used to work with a guy like that. He had been
    everywhere and done everything. We learned to tell when he was lying. We
    just had to watch to see if his lips were moving. It is insulting to have
    someone always lying to you, thinking you are stupid enough to believe
    their [censored].

  13. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    He has done everything? I used to work with a guy like that. He had been
    everywhere and done everything. We learned to tell when he was lying. We
    just had to watch to see if his lips were moving. It is insulting to
    have
    someone always lying to you, thinking you are stupid enough to believe
    their [censored].

    I worked with someone like that, too. At first you are amazed by
    their stories. After a while you think, no way. Then she revises history
    and tells an astonishing story that newer people around think is amazing
    but you are biting your tongue because you know she's flat out lying
    because You were There! and know that's not how it went down.

    nancy

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    Anyone who thinks that vichyssoise is a fish stew is not a cook or a
    chef but a moron. It's a pureed soup made from leeks, potatoes, chicken
    stock, and cream.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  15. Nancy Young said:


    Quoted message said:

    He has done everything? I used to work with a guy like that. He had been
    everywhere and done everything. We learned to tell when he was lying. We
    just had to watch to see if his lips were moving. It is insulting to
    have
    someone always lying to you, thinking you are stupid enough to believe
    their [censored].

    I worked with someone like that, too. At first you are amazed by
    their stories. After a while you think, no way. Then she revises history
    and tells an astonishing story that newer people around think is amazing
    but you are biting your tongue because you know she's flat out lying
    because You were There! and know that's not how it went down.

    It is a tough one to deal with. At first you tend to believe them because
    you have no reason to suspect them of lying. Most people don't lie about
    things like that so you assume that they are as honest as everyone else.
    As time goes on the tales get taller, and eventually they start conflicting
    with previous lies. They tell so many lies they can't keep track of them.

    The guy I worked with was a pain in the ass. I had to spend three weeks
    with him on a training course. Every night we had assignments to work on
    and everyone would get involved to solve the problems together. He would
    argue and argue until we finally agreed to disagree. We were not able to
    convince him and he was not able to convince us..... because he was wrong.
    And the next day in class he would find out that he was wrong. But he never
    argued with the teacher. He may have been a psychopathic liar, but he was a
    good enough psychopath to understand the importance of authority pleasing
    behaviour.

    He left after a year on the job. It seems that some sanitation products
    company was offering him a commission sales job that guaranteed him at
    least double our pay, and an unlimited expense account. That didn't pan
    out. He tried to get his old job back. Our management didn't want anything
    to do with him. The spend a year training him and he left.

  16. "Peter A" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this
    > person
    > work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and
    > burgers, you
    > might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say
    > "cook" at
    > a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    Anyone who thinks that vichyssoise is a fish stew is not a cook or a
    chef but a moron. It's a pureed soup made from leeks, potatoes, chicken
    stock, and cream.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    I Am not sure of chicken!

    --
    Kisses
    Pandora

  17. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There is this one chef I work with who swears up and down that
    vichyssoise is a fish stew. Everyone else, including myself, says
    it's a potato and leek soup served cold. I suggested he might be
    thinking of bouillbaisse but he swears that vichyssoise is a fish
    stew, at least to a French person it is. Has anyone ever heard of
    vichyssoise being refered to anything other than cold potato soup? I
    saw one recipe that had crab meat in it but the crab meat was simply
    an addition and not part of the basic recipe. I cannot find any
    reference on the internet that says vichyssoise can be a fish stew.

    your Friend is a idiot;

    Dimitri

    vichyssoise
    [vihsh-ee-SWAHZ, VEE-she-swahz]
    A rich, creamy potato-and-leek soup that's served cold, garnished with chopped
    chives. In this country it's often mispronouced "vinsch-ee-SWAH."
    © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
    COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

    Bouillabaisse
    A rich fish stew from southern France. This was once a poor man's meal made of
    any fish available. Modern versions include lobster and shrimp. The broth is
    flavored with garlic orange peel fennel and saffron. Olive oil is added to the
    stew and rapidly boiled to blend it into the broth. The stew is served with
    croutons and rouille a variation of aioli.

  18. Dave Smith said:
    Quoted post said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    - Show quoted text -

    Quoted message said:

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    You are being evasive here. Is he a chef?

    I already said so in my original post. Yes, he is a chef. He
    graduated from culinary school. Don't tell me I'm being evasive, and
    don't be looking for conspiracies or ulterior motives in a simple
    newsgroup post.

  19. Quoted post said:


    Dave Smith said:
    Quoted post said:

    > Maybe you should define "chef". In what sort of restaurant does this person
    > work? I mean, if you say "chef" in a bar that serves wings and burgers, you
    > might find the staff actually calling him/her the "cook". But, say "cook" at
    > a ritzy restaurant, and you may get a dirty look.- Hide quoted text -

    Quoted message said:

    > - Show quoted text -

    Quoted message said:

    Right now we both work for a catering service but before that he
    worked at Jack Fry's, a four star restaurant in Louisville. I think
    he must be thinking of something that sounds similar to vichyssoise
    but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. This guy is one
    of those types who "knows everything" and has "done everything" (note
    the sarcasm) and he's not even 30 yet. He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    You are being evasive here. Is he a chef?

    I already said so in my original post. Yes, he is a chef. He
    graduated from culinary school. Don't tell me I'm being evasive, and
    don't be looking for conspiracies or ulterior motives in a simple
    newsgroup post.

    What can I say? In your original post you described him as a "chef" who
    thinks that vichyssoise is fish stew and could not be convinced otherwise.
    When Joe suggested that you needed to define "chef" because some places
    call their cooks chefs, and this guy certainly doesn't sound like a chef,
    you answered only that you work for a catering service, and most people who
    work for catering services are not chefs. Then you said he must have it
    confused with some other dish that sounds like it. French fish stew is
    Bouillabaisse, which only sounds similar because they are both French words
    to describe things that you two catering staff have trouble with. You also
    said that he is one of those guys who knows everything and has done
    everything. In other words..... he is a bullshitter. He may have lied
    about his credentials.

  20. Quoted message said:

    He says that to a Frenchman
    vichyssoise is a fish stew but I can find no evidence to support his
    claim.

    Anybody who pulls the 'ol, "You've never been to France so this
    is what it is" ploy is a pure bullshitter.

    -sw

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.