Victoria pendleton : life after cycling

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by limerickman, Mar 17, 2016.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Victoria Pendleton, the golden girl and Olympic track cycling gold medallist, retired from cycling a couple of years ago.

What has she gone on to do?

Tomorrow sees Pendleton debuting as a jockey at the Cheltenham Horse Racing festival. For the uninitiated, Cheltenham is a national hunt racing festival meaning that horses races over different distances while jumping fences.

Horse racing is a tough sport at the best of times. It's also a very dangerous sport for the horse and jockey alike.

There's a lot of media comment about why Pendleton is literally putting her neck on the line.
    She's going to race the Foxhunter Chase tomorrow.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-pendleton-show-rolls-into-town-34539578.html

Tags:
    steve likes this.

2. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Wow, race horses can really be tough, but more then a cyclist she probably has a very competitive personality and so she had to find something that she could still compete in.

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice find Lim!

4. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

She obviously likes to ride :) That is a good thing I think. Living my innuendo aside it is very nice to hear something like this although I am an animal lover and this is a kind of thing I do not support but what can I do, it is what it is. I could say some hateful words about people who use animals like this but this is not the place for that. I hope she will do good and I am always pleased to see people competing and wanting more from their careers. It is over when you decide that.

5. Dilof

Dilof New Member

Anyone know how tall she is? Jockeys tend to be on the very small side. It's a pretty big jump though from being able to control almost everything about your bike to the semi-unpredictable horse. I'll definitely be watching her progression through this as it's a pretty fascinating turn of events.

I doubt she'll win though.

6. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

Great!Love ride!

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

She is 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in). I really don't know what the maximum height a jokey can be, but if she is racing horses she must be inside that limit.

8. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Steve Cauthen, who rode Affirmed to the Triple Crown in 1978, was pretty tall for an American jockey, as I recall. He had problems with his weight as he grew into adulthood, so he moved to the UK where jockeys tend to be heavier. I'm sure that at 5'5" Victoria can ride there. She's extremely muscular.