"Today I was conservative in the climb, and then there was a lot of headwind in the finish."
"I'm not really specialized in prologue any more"
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Armstrong later revealed that one of his feet unclipped from one of his pedals as he rode up the tough 1.9km climb which the 160-strong field had to negotiate immediately.
"Today I was conservative in the climb, and then there was a lot of headwind in the finish."
"I'm not really specialized in prologue any more"
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Armstrong later revealed that one of his feet unclipped from one of his pedals as he rode up the tough 1.9km climb which the 160-strong field had to negotiate immediately.
"Donald Munro" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
trg said:
"Today I was conservative in the climb, and then there was a lot of headwind in the finish."
"I'm not really specialized in prologue any more"
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Armstrong later revealed that one of his feet unclipped from one of his pedals as he rode up the tough 1.9km climb which the 160-strong field had to negotiate immediately.
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
This one IS juicy. When your age becomes an issue, when you tell yourself you're at a competitive disadvantage because of your age, it's over.
Or Armstrong is acknowledging reality. When Jalabert got older and less explosive, he stopped going for sprint wins and got himself a polkadot jersey. Geez, there's lots of examples of athletes accounting for their changing bodies and still remaining winners...it's a smart thing to do. Way smarter than ignoring change.
Or maybe you're right and it's an excuse. I guess we'll find out this week and in July. Should be a great Tour this year...
"Today I was conservative in the climb, and then there was a lot of headwind in the finish."
"I'm not really specialized in prologue any more"
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Except that a short explosive effort is 10 seconds, not 10 minutes. He may still use the excuse of being old(er), but attributing it to a loss of explosiveness is just not correct.
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
This one IS juicy. When your age becomes an issue, when you tell yourself you're at a competitive disadvantage because of your age, it's over.
Or Armstrong is acknowledging reality. When Jalabert got older and less explosive, he stopped going for sprint wins and got himself a polkadot jersey. Geez, there's lots of examples of athletes accounting for their changing bodies and still remaining winners...it's a smart thing to do. Way smarter than ignoring change.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Quoted message said:
Or maybe you're right and it's an excuse. I guess we'll find out this week and in July. Should be a great Tour this year...
Yeah, I think so too. Of course I thought so last year too, and look what happened.
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Maybe he & Bob Dole can get together and do a commercial?
--Mike Jacoubowsky Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"trg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"Today I was conservative in the climb, and then there was a lot of headwind in the finish."
"I'm not really specialized in prologue any more"
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Armstrong later revealed that one of his feet unclipped from one of his pedals as he rode up the tough 1.9km climb which the 160-strong field had to negotiate immediately.
<[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Tim Lines said:
Quoted message said:
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what
happens,"
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
This one IS juicy. When your age becomes an issue, when you tell yourself you're at a competitive disadvantage because of your age, it's over.
Or Armstrong is acknowledging reality. When Jalabert got older and less explosive, he stopped going for sprint wins and got himself a polkadot jersey. Geez, there's lots of examples of athletes accounting for their changing bodies and still remaining winners...it's a smart thing to do. Way smarter than ignoring change.
Funny excuse, considering it was Hincapie, who's not getting any younger himself, who took the win
actually, larry stopped going for sprint wins when he lost a large part of his face in a finish-line pile up.
Ya, I remember that crash. Man. But I didn't mention it for two reasons. 1) It doesn't really fit my thesis (this is rbr, afterall)...and 2) I have some memory of him saying something about losing his sprint as he got older and making a decision to work on climbing...Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...But even if he didn't say it, he sure did do it. What a rider.
actually, larry stopped going for sprint wins when he lost a large part of his face in a finish-line pile up.
Ya, I remember that crash. Man. But I didn't mention it for two reasons. 1) It doesn't really fit my thesis (this is rbr, afterall)...and 2) I have some memory of him saying something about losing his sprint as he got older and making a decision to work on climbing...Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...
Jalabert was a good climber before that. He won a stage to the Cavodonga Lakes in the Vuelta for example.
JT
**************************** Remove "remove" to reply Visit http://www.jt10000.com ****************************
"Today I was conservative in the climb, and then there was a lot of headwind in the finish."
"I'm not really specialized in prologue any more"
"It's a short explosive effort and when you get old, you know what happens,"
Except that a short explosive effort is 10 seconds, not 10 minutes. He may still use the excuse of being old(er), but attributing it to a loss of explosiveness is just not correct.
Wayne
Dear Wayne,
When did you get your degree in Armstrong physiology?