Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Volae Team Tire Fits

Started by Rick Moll · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,438 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
22 July 2003
Last activity
23 July 2003
Original author
Rick Moll
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,438
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I finally got my new Volae Team. I love the bike -- haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot;
    but I was immediately impressed by how easy it is to get started and stopped. I find it more
    comfortable in start and stop riding than my V-Rex, I suspect because the high center of gravity
    makes it easier to balance, and also that they just did a great job with the design to get the low
    speed handing right.

    So I love riding it but I'm now looking for some different tires before I take it out of town on a
    cycling vacation.

    For some reason Hostel Shoppe specs Conti GP Supersonics on the Team, which aren't intended for
    the rigors of day to day riding. My impression is that I'll be lucking to get 1000 miles of life
    out of them.

    The Team is also speced with a True Temper Alpha Q Pro front fork, which looks like a great fork,
    but it doesn't allow for a lot of tire clearance. According to the Hostel Shoppe not all 650C x 23
    (23-571) tires will fit the fork. In particular the Schwalbe Stelvio, and a Michelin tire they tried
    would not clear.

    The tires they say will work include:

    Conti GP Supersonic 23-571 Folding 145psi 145g Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23-571 Wire 145psi 250g
    Terry tellus ST 28-571 Wire 100psi 340g

    As I said I'm looking for something more durable than the Supersonic, and I'd like something lighter
    weight and lower rolling resistance than the other two. Both the Conti GP 3000, and the Vredestein
    Fortezza look interesting:

    Conti GP 3000 23-571 Folding 120psi 195g Vredestein Fortezza 23-571

    I'd be curious to hear from others whether they have tried fitting either of these, or any other
    light weight 23-571 tires to their Volae Teams.

    Thanks,

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

  2. I've got a Strada with 650 wheels. I had a pair of Fortezza's on it and in only 500 miles destroyed
    one with road debris and the other has a small puncture in the tire from a piece of gravel. I won't
    be buying any more of them. I bought a pair of Terry Tellus 650x28 tires and rode 'em a couple
    times. They seem durable, more cushy than the Fortezza's and seem just as fast. They definitely
    have more rubber on the road than the Fortezza's. I plan on using them if I take any long trips or
    go somewhere with unknown roads. I've used Conti Grand Prix wire bead tires on my lowracer for a
    couple thousand miles and have had no problems with them. I don't understand why 650x23 Stelvios
    wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm
    wide. Dan Kluckhuhn

    "Rick Moll" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally got my new Volae Team. I love the bike -- haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot;
    but I was immediately impressed by how easy it is to get started and stopped. I find it more
    comfortable in start and stop riding than my V-Rex, I suspect because the high center of gravity
    makes it easier to balance, and also that they just did a great job with the design to get the low
    speed handing right.

    So I love riding it but I'm now looking for some different tires before I take it out of town on a
    cycling vacation.

    For some reason Hostel Shoppe specs Conti GP Supersonics on the Team, which aren't intended for
    the rigors of day to day riding. My impression is that I'll be lucking to get 1000 miles of life
    out of them.

    The Team is also speced with a True Temper Alpha Q Pro front fork, which looks like a great fork,
    but it doesn't allow for a lot of tire clearance. According to the Hostel Shoppe not all 650C x 23
    (23-571) tires will fit the fork. In particular the Schwalbe Stelvio, and a Michelin tire they
    tried would not clear.

    The tires they say will work include:

    Conti GP Supersonic 23-571 Folding 145psi 145g Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23-571 Wire 145psi 250g
    Terry tellus ST 28-571 Wire 100psi 340g

    As I said I'm looking for something more durable than the Supersonic, and I'd like something
    lighter weight and lower rolling resistance than the other two. Both the Conti GP 3000, and the
    Vredestein Fortezza look interesting:

    Conti GP 3000 23-571 Folding 120psi 195g Vredestein Fortezza 23-571

    I'd be curious to hear from others whether they have tried fitting either of these, or any other
    light weight 23-571 tires to their Volae Teams.

    Thanks,

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

  3. I have the Terry tellus on my Bacchetta Strada it's a good touring tire it's also a big 28mm tire
    it's odd that other tires will not clear the fork and the tellus does.

    It not a light weight so may as well stick with what the bike came with all light weight tires wear
    fast. They are made for racing and racers don't care about wear.

    "Rick Moll" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally got my new Volae Team. I love the bike -- haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot;
    but I was immediately impressed by how easy it is to get started and stopped. I find it more
    comfortable in start and stop riding than my V-Rex, I suspect because the high center of gravity
    makes it easier to balance, and also that they just did a great job with the design to get the low
    speed handing right.

    So I love riding it but I'm now looking for some different tires before I take it out of town on a
    cycling vacation.

    For some reason Hostel Shoppe specs Conti GP Supersonics on the Team, which aren't intended for
    the rigors of day to day riding. My impression is that I'll be lucking to get 1000 miles of life
    out of them.

    The Team is also speced with a True Temper Alpha Q Pro front fork, which looks like a great fork,
    but it doesn't allow for a lot of tire clearance. According to the Hostel Shoppe not all 650C x 23
    (23-571) tires will fit the fork. In particular the Schwalbe Stelvio, and a Michelin tire they
    tried would not clear.

    The tires they say will work include:

    Conti GP Supersonic 23-571 Folding 145psi 145g Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23-571 Wire 145psi 250g
    Terry tellus ST 28-571 Wire 100psi 340g

    As I said I'm looking for something more durable than the Supersonic, and I'd like something
    lighter weight and lower rolling resistance than the other two. Both the Conti GP 3000, and the
    Vredestein Fortezza look interesting:

    Conti GP 3000 23-571 Folding 120psi 195g Vredestein Fortezza 23-571

    I'd be curious to hear from others whether they have tried fitting either of these, or any other
    light weight 23-571 tires to their Volae Teams.

    Thanks,

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

  4. I've put about 350 miles on the Conti Ultra Gatorskin, 23, tires that came on my Volae Club - they
    show no sign of wear. Although most of the riding has been on pavement, there has been several miles
    of gravel and bit of broken glass on my routes. Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are
    none for the 650), I was satisfied that the Gatorskin was a good, tough tire. So far, I'm very
    pleased with this tire.

    "Rick Moll" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally got my new Volae Team. I love the bike -- haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot;
    but I was immediately impressed by how easy it is to get started and stopped. I find it more
    comfortable in start and stop riding than my V-Rex, I suspect because the high center of gravity
    makes it easier to balance, and also that they just did a great job with the design to get the low
    speed handing right.

    So I love riding it but I'm now looking for some different tires before I take it out of town on a
    cycling vacation.

    For some reason Hostel Shoppe specs Conti GP Supersonics on the Team, which aren't intended for
    the rigors of day to day riding. My impression is that I'll be lucking to get 1000 miles of life
    out of them.

    The Team is also speced with a True Temper Alpha Q Pro front fork, which looks like a great fork,
    but it doesn't allow for a lot of tire clearance. According to the Hostel Shoppe not all 650C x 23
    (23-571) tires will fit the fork. In particular the Schwalbe Stelvio, and a Michelin tire they
    tried would not clear.

    The tires they say will work include:

    Conti GP Supersonic 23-571 Folding 145psi 145g Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23-571 Wire 145psi 250g
    Terry tellus ST 28-571 Wire 100psi 340g

    As I said I'm looking for something more durable than the Supersonic, and I'd like something
    lighter weight and lower rolling resistance than the other two. Both the Conti GP 3000, and the
    Vredestein Fortezza look interesting:

    Conti GP 3000 23-571 Folding 120psi 195g Vredestein Fortezza 23-571

    I'd be curious to hear from others whether they have tried fitting either of these, or any other
    light weight 23-571 tires to their Volae Teams.

    Thanks,

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

  5. Dan Kluckhuhn said:

    ... I don't understand why 650x23 Stelvios wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry
    tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm wide.

    I don't think the fit concerns with the Alpha Q Pro fork are just width, but also with outer
    diameter. I think the Stelvio and the one Michelin tire they tried may have been too big around
    to fit. From what I understand some of the Michelin tires can have a very high profile --
    almost angular.

    Thanks for tire recommendations/observations,

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

  6. Dave Harney said:

    ... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are none for the 650)...

    If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I
    understand it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.

    Sheldon Brown has comments about it:

    sheldonbrown.comindex.html

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

  7. I really don't want the Terry tire (too wide and not the same quality as the Gatorskin). What I'd
    really like is 25c Gatorskin - until that is available, the 23c is fine.

    "Rick Moll" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Harney said:

    ... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are none for the 650)...

    If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I
    understand it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.

    Sheldon Brown has comments about it:

    sheldonbrown.comindex.html

    Rick Moll RANS V-Rex Volae Team

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.