Vorsprung durch Techik - so true

wheres_my_beard

Apr 24, 2010
*This has in fact nothing to do with Audi*

After some problems with my feet whilst cycling I bought myself some proper cycling shoes (Shimano MT32) a couple of days ago and yesterday I got some clipless pedals (Shimano M520). The pedals were a doddle to attach as were the cleats, so in no time I was making a technological leap (about 10+ years behind everyone else here)... woot!

The only hitch was once the cleats were fixed to both shoes, I may have been too keen to see them attached to the pedals (before they were on the bike) which left me with a lot of manhandling of the shoe\ pedal to unclip them... you had to be there to see the funny side I suppose.

So far, from some riding today, the combo has been amazing. No foot pain, and acceleration is fantastic, with the help of the upstroke pull; it's like I have someone else's legs - i might need to change my gears as I seem to have run out at a couple of points today!

Besides not unclipping for stops, is there anything I need to be mindful of with clipless pedals or shoes (either generally or specifically about the parts I now have), to prossibly improve my cycling or just practical maintenance?

Keep them clean as possible and try to minimize walking on them since it will cause premature wear.

As I don't ride off-road at all, mud etc shouldn't be an issue.

Minimising walking with the shoes on sounds sensible, but I'm not sure if it can be totally eliminated. However, I will keep an eye on the cleats for wear.

wheres_my_beard said:
As I don't ride off-road at all, mud etc shouldn't be an issue.

Minimising walking with the shoes on sounds sensible, but I'm not sure if it can be totally eliminated. However, I will keep an eye on the cleats for wear.
Get some cleat covers to protect your cleats for when you do have to walk. For future reference, the next time you go to buy shoes, take a look at mtb shoes. They often have the cleat recessed into the sole so that you can walk easier in them.

wheres_my_beard said:
The only hitch was once the cleats were fixed to both shoes, I may have been too keen to see them attached to the pedals (before they were on the bike) which left me with a lot of manhandling of the shoe\ pedal to unclip them... you had to be there to see the funny side I suppose.

I did the same thing with the first set of Shimano clipless pedals and shoes I bought. Isn't it amazing how hard is to get them unclipped when the pedals aren't attached to the bike?!? :D

I only clipped on one shoe to one pedal and I ended up prying it off with a screwdriver. :eek:

Kdelong, the shoes I have are mtb type, but unfortunately the cleat is slightly proud of the tread just where the sole pivots when walking, which is an annoying design issue. Infact most of the black coating on the cleats has already been scratched off already, and I have only walked on them once I have got to work to get to the bike compound.

I wish I had used a screwdriver, Paramount, for some reason I thought that I could use the other shoes to help get the first off, but, as you can imagine, I ended up with BOTH shoes firmly attached to the same pedal... FAIL!!!