General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

walking etiquette

Started by George · · Last activity · 122 posts · 2,137 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 October 2007
Last activity
28 October 2007
Original author
George
Posts
122
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,137
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 122
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mike... said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I find away from the madding
    crowd peeps are more friendly. If you don't believe me then try
    being friendly on a crowded train on London's Underground! :-)

    Done that a few times. I used to enjoy the reactions I got! Talking
    on the tube seems to be almost as taboo as cannibalism!

    its a good way to meet nutters and not a good survival strategy,
    sadly.

    Not at rush hour in the morning surely?

    Besides, I choose my targets carefully. Newspaper and glasses seems harmless
    enough...

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  2. Mike... said:

    I wonder if Kimi Reikkenen greets people with a cheery Hello?:-)

    He doesn't have enough different pitches in his tonal range to make it sound
    cheery!

    I'm constantly astonished by the incredible tonal monotony of his speech,
    often using the same tone for perhaps 20 or 30 words in a row, then one or
    two different tones for variety. The latter is no doubt the result of
    encouragement from his media speech therapist, but he usually forgets to do
    it, then throws in an extra pitch or two when he remembers.

    I used to think it was just him, until I saw a program on Finland and they
    ALL spoke like that! Apparently they're very shy and self-conscious
    people...

    ....so they don't get much practice talking!

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  3. Roger said:

    But ISTM that if you don't get your hello in first then you
    stand at least a 50% chance of being ignored, particularly by solitary
    females.

    Yes, solitary females seem to be a particularly paranoid bunch. Even
    not-so-solitary ones. I guess many women find it hard to believe that
    anything that comes out of a strange man's mouth isn't a pick up line.
    Probably due to the magazines they read...

    Or am I just stereotyping here? ;-)

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  4. T Dave R said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's Sut (pronounded sit) Mae (as in eye) in North Wales and Shwmae
    (shoo m "eye"😉 in South Wales.

    I think it might depend where in Wales you are too. Or possibly the
    generation you belong to? I don't think i've ever said Sut Mae in my
    entire life as a greeting.

    Fair point. I've heard shwmae, but not sut mae, but that's what it say's
    they say in the Welsh learner's books!

    To be honest, I've heard a lot of "how do?"s in South Wales, and the common
    Swansea greeting is "alright?", which is of course the English form of
    "iawn?". English people tend to say "hello there".

    Actually I saw a snippet of a Welsh programme once, it may have been a
    comedy (I'm not sure), and two characters greeted one another thus:

    1st character: "Iawn?"
    2nd character: "Iawn"
    1st character: "Iawn"

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  5. Fred R said:

    Mind you, I read ages ago, can't remember where, that in some
    Scandinavian countries it's considered rude to greet people on the
    hills, thus disturbing their peace and solitude

    Actually, I really enjoy not meeting anyone all day, especially on a wild
    camping trip. I guess it's a kind of affirmation of being truly away from
    civilisation.

    On one walk, during a wild camping trip, I was doing really well, then I
    spotted another walker heading in my direction (on Garreg Las if anyone's
    interested). I immediately thought "oh damn, a bloody human, about to
    disturb my peace and solitude!"

    But to my surprise, and relief, he spotted me and went to great pains to
    alter his route to avoid me. I was actually quite pleased about that. I
    guess I was in a very "solitary" state of mind at the time, and apparently,
    so was he!

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  6. Bill Grey said:

    Now at 71 years of age, kids of 12 or 13 can only bring themselves to
    utter "'Oright" as they pass me in the street.

    A sad reflection on the upbringing of the yoofs of today.

    As I mentioned elsewhere, "Alright" seems to the standard greeting of the
    Swansea Jack. I even say it myself (I'm embarrased to say).

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  7. Rob Devereux said:
    Quoted message said:

    In Wales I think the rule is that Welsh walkers say hello and English
    walkers ignore you! ;-)

    If you greet them in Welsh, I am not surprised ;-)

    I think the inbreds find it easy to recognise one another! ;-)

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/

  8. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    But then again, I spoke to some English tourists today, so it's not a
    "rule".

    Have you been outdoors then ? :-)

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  9. Following up to Bill Grey said:

    and how do
    you tell the difference between and English walker and a non Welsh
    speaking Welsh walker anyway?.

    especially ones who havent spoken! I find it pretty rare for people
    not to say hello in ELD.
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  10. Following up to 'Paul Saunders said:

    I wouldn't say it's
    totally true, but there is a grain there, in my personal experience, hence
    the jest.

    Hmmmm, the other side of the coin is the >one< welsh bloke who
    answered my conversation opener in english with welsh, very rude. I
    really think these nationalistic views are wrong. I dont think its
    down to nationality at all. I suspect, as others have suggested, one
    off or casual walkers are probably more likely to not expect to say
    hello.
    Theres also the big city issue, primarily London. I notice a "type"
    evolving here. They live near the centre, dont drive and say "why do
    you need a car if you live in London?" (er, for when your not in
    London!!!!) say they dont want to know thier neighbours (what a stupid
    idea!) and see countryside as empty and boring. They are usually well
    informed on arts and celebrity nonsense and clueless on science and
    engenneering (boasting they cant do DIY). Bunch of [censored] in my view
    and completely different from normal folks out here in the eastern
    suburbs.
    I find that away from London people are more willing to talk to
    strangers (but i >dont< ever visit the other big cities). On the other
    side of the coin i find racist views much more likely to be acceptable
    the further i get from London.
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  11. Following up to Roger said:

    the youth of today

    ah, the youth of today :-)

    probably busy texting :-)
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  12. Following up to 'Paul Saunders said:

    Yes, solitary females seem to be a particularly paranoid bunch. Even
    not-so-solitary ones. I guess many women find it hard to believe that
    anything that comes out of a strange man's mouth isn't a pick up line.

    I dont find that but im walking as a couple although i am strange.

    Im also not convinced that some part of a mans brain isnt always
    thinking subliminally about the remote chance of sex when conversing
    with attractive women. However, i >dont< believe that means he is
    considering rape!
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  13. Following up to 'Paul Saunders said:
    Quoted message said:

    its a good way to meet nutters and not a good survival strategy,
    sadly.

    Not at rush hour in the morning surely?

    morning rush hour you have a good chance of lack of nutters, although
    dont expect the large numbers of onlookers to be any help nowadays. In
    dodgy areas like Peckham its best to ignore everything and everybody
    (until maybe some future time we can get back to sanity).
    It would of course be >much< better if we did talk on the tube.

    Quoted message said:

    Besides, I choose my targets carefully. Newspaper and glasses seems harmless
    enough...

    probably
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  14. Following up to 'Paul Saunders said:

    If there's no-one else around it just
    seems ignorant not to acknowledge another's presence.

    sure. Expect in Peckham where you cross the street! :-)
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  15. Following up to 'Paul Saunders said:

    I used to think it was just him, until I saw a program on Finland and they
    ALL spoke like that! Apparently they're very shy and self-conscious
    people...

    Hakkinen was similar but better. I would sort of like to visit for
    myself.
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  16. Following up to 'Rob Devereux said:

    because I have generally noticed more warmth in people's
    reaction to others the further north you go and certainly Cumbria has never
    betrayed that.

    same here, but i find its more away from London, not north. Have you
    expereince of say Birmingham?
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  17. Following up to Mike... said:

    i find racist views

    that should just be " 'ist" views really!
    --
    Mike
    Remove clothing to email

  18. The message <[email hidden]>
    from "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, I really enjoy not meeting anyone all day, especially on a wild
    camping trip. I guess it's a kind of affirmation of being truly away from
    civilisation.

    Quoted message said:

    On one walk, during a wild camping trip, I was doing really well, then I
    spotted another walker heading in my direction (on Garreg Las if anyone's
    interested). I immediately thought "oh damn, a bloody human, about to
    disturb my peace and solitude!"

    Quoted message said:

    But to my surprise, and relief, he spotted me and went to great pains to
    alter his route to avoid me. I was actually quite pleased about that. I
    guess I was in a very "solitary" state of mind at the time, and apparently,
    so was he!

    I must have [censored] a PS clone on Sunday then. :-)

    I diverted about 10 yards off the path to make sure that the only person
    I had seen since I started walking that morning wasn't Paul. (Said
    person had been walking slowly and then stopping for a long time while
    waving something around in front of his face while standing at a good
    viewpoint.

    --
    Roger Chapman
    Nearest Marilyn still to be visited - Great Orme.
    89 miles as the crow flies,
    considerably more as the walker drives.

  19. Paul Saunders said:

    As for the Welsh bit, I'm more likely to stop and chat with a local farmer.
    At least it's easy to tell that they're local, even if not necessarily
    Welsh!

    Some are 'foreign'. I spent about 20 minutes chatting to a Welsh farmer -
    he grand parents had moved from near Colwyn to E of Bala about 80 years
    ago, so he wasn't 'native' he told me.
    --
    Peter.
    You don't understand Newton's Third Law of Motion?
    It's not rocket science, you know.

  20. "Mike..." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Following up to 'Rob Devereux said:

    because I have generally noticed more warmth in people's
    reaction to others the further north you go and certainly Cumbria has
    never
    betrayed that.

    same here, but i find its more away from London, not north. Have you
    expereince of say Birmingham?

    People in West Midlans are generally friendly in the street and shops and so
    on but I think a large degree of that is to do with stronger communities.
    It certainly isnt distinct of London - everywhere I have lived in Home
    Counties and even here in oxford, it is not the norm to speak to people in
    shops or in the street. My take on it is wherever you get a large migratory
    population or lots of people who are not born and bred in the area, you get
    the problem. Devon is the same (unfriendly) but I think that is more to do
    with Devonians being quite shy by nature than because they are deliberately
    unwelcoming.

    Rob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.