walking in the white peak: three questions

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by John Goldfine, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
    the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
    any must-not-miss walk? What are the likeliest weather
    condtions? Approximately how many hours of daylight are
    there (I understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:09:06 -0500, john goldfine wrote:

    >End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
    >the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
    >any must-not-miss walk? What are the likeliest weather
    >condtions?

    Your guess is as good as mine. It is unlikely to be
    blisteringly hot but any weather within the usual spread for
    the UK is possible.

    > Approximately how many hours of daylight are there (I
    > understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

    Same amount of daylight before and after the clocks go
    forward. For 31st March day length is 13 hours, night
    11. One week later it is 13.5 / 10.5 - day length
    changes fastest around the equinoxes. Usable twilight
    will vary with the weather but if you reckon on 45mins
    you won't be far out.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"

  3. In message <[email protected]>, john
    goldfine <[email protected]> writes
    >End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
    >the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
    >any must-not-miss walk? What are the likeliest weather
    >condtions? Approximately how many hours of daylight are
    >there (I understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

    I guess you aren't in the UK at this minute, or you would
    have known that it's been a very wet winter.

    It's the laws of physics about daylight hours! As it's just
    past the equinox, and the hour will have gone forward on the
    28yh, then basically sunrise will be at approx 7:20am and
    sunset approx 7:40pm. How much sun you'll really get is in
    the lap of the Gods :) It can be very pleasant at the
    beginning of April...but...it is England after all.

    As I said, it's been very wet here, which will make the soil
    in the limestone area very muddy and slippy. The advantage
    is that there should be a lot of water in the rivers that
    are fed from underground springs such as the Lathkill and
    the Manifold. The source of the Lathkill from the cave mouth
    at the top of the dale should be quite impressive (I've not
    been up yet this year, I'll probably take a walk at the top
    of Lathkill Dale over Easter) Anyone know if there's a lot
    of water gushing out?

    You need to get the Ordnance Survey 1:25000 'White Peak'
    map, which will cover all this area and give you as much
    detail as you need. The area is well supplied with decent
    pubs, so you shouldn't go hungry or thirsty.

    Best of luck,
    --
    Chris Morriss

  4. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Approximately how many hours of daylight are there (I
    > understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

    Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of
    daylight hours!!!

    On 21st it will be the same everywhere in the world - about
    12 hours from sunrise till sunset. Add a bit for twilight.

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  5. "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:\>
    > Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of daylight
    > hours!!!

    How mortifying! I know the clocks don't give the world the
    sun, but clock-changing makes me nervous (I once missed my
    flight home from New Orleans because I was too busy eating
    beignets to realize the clocks had changed.) so I threw it
    in. The clock-changing DOES affect the usable daylight
    sometimes and I guess that was in the back of my mind, but
    no amount of protest or explanation will save me on this
    one, I admit.

  6. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:56:41 -0500, "john goldfine"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:\>
    >> Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of daylight
    >> hours!!!
    >>

    >How mortifying! I know the clocks don't give the world the
    >sun, but clock-changing makes me nervous (I once missed my
    >flight home from New Orleans because I was too busy eating
    >beignets to realize the clocks had changed.) so I threw it
    >in. The clock-changing DOES affect the usable daylight
    >sometimes and I guess that was in the back of my mind, but
    >no amount of protest or explanation will save me on this
    >one, I admit.

    C'est la vie. I know what you mean though - we still get up
    about the same time, generally, so we have more daylight
    available. Anyway, there's sufficient daylight by then for a
    30-odd mile walk, and that's plenty!

    --

  7. "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > > Anyway, there's sufficient daylight by then for a 30-odd
    > > mile walk,
    > and that's plenty!

    There's sufficient daylight for a thirty mile walk for me in
    early April (or anytime) if you mean in a 48 hour
    stretch....

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Chris
    Morriss <[email protected]> writes

    >I guess you aren't in the UK at this minute, or you would
    >have known that it's been a very wet winter.

    On the other hand, I was on the Roaches a couple of weeks
    back, and they were pretty dry. (Possibly the subsoil was
    frozen, so when water was lost from the surface layers there
    was no new flow to replace it.) But the Roaches to tend to
    dry out fast.
    --
    Stewart Robert Hinsley

  9. john goldfine wrote

    > End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking
    > in the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is
    > there any must-not-miss walk?

    - Wyedale from Topley Pike to DeepDale (let us know if
    you're passing and I'll stick the kettle on)
    - Dovedale from Ilam to Crowdecote. It can get a bit busy
    but at the end of the day you have to admit that its
    rather special.
    - Edale Watershed. Again busy but a great Walk.
    - Five edges - Birchins, Curbar, White, Frogatt, Baslow.

    That should keep you going for a while ;-)

    Chris
    --
    Cressbrook on the web
    http://www.cressbrook.net

  10. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:31:00 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:09:06 -0500, "john goldfine"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Approximately how many hours of daylight are there (I
    >> understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?
    >

    >Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of
    >daylight hours!!!
    >
    >On 21st it will be the same everywhere in the world - about
    >12 hours from sunrise till sunset.

    Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)

    > Add a bit for twilight.

    I was up Dovedale today - with the twilight I'd reckon on at
    least 40 minutes extra light after sunset although it got
    chilly fast once the sun had set.

    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other
    42% are made up later on. In Warwick - looking at flat

  11. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT, [email protected] (Chris
    Street) wrote:

    >Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)

    Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  12. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote
    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
    >[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
    >>
    >>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
    >
    >Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

    They change places.
    --
    Gordon

  13. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote
    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
    >[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
    >>
    >>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
    >
    >Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

    They change places.
    --
    Gordon

  14. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:59:35 +0000, Paul Rooney wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
    >[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
    >

    >>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
    >
    >Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

    Sunrise or sunset.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"

  15. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:59:35 +0000, Paul Rooney wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
    >[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
    >

    >>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
    >
    >Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

    Sunrise or sunset.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"

  16. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "john goldfine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking
    > in the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is
    > there any must-not-miss walk?

    I was up there last weekend and walked from Ilam YHA to
    Hartington YHA by two routes over two days, first going from
    Hartington to Hulme End and down the Manifold Way to
    Waterhouses and then across to Ilam Hall. This is nearly all
    on the path of the old railway line (practically a minor
    road) and is fairly scenic with a nice climb up steps to
    Thors Cave for a great view halfway along. Plenty of pubs
    nearby and a couple of tearooms along the way, Wetton Mill
    being the nicest.

    The return trip was simply up Dovedale from Ilam, following
    the riverside path and then thru some fields into Hartington
    itself. I'd suggest doing the diversion up from Milldale
    (little shop/cafe there) to a nice pub lunch at Alstonefield
    and back down again to add some time to the route, otherwise
    it'll only take approx 4 hours walking. This route is quite
    popular with tourists (esp National Trust who own it) but
    the difference in the scenery at each end is quite
    surprising. (Hello to the Outsiders walking group who I
    tagged along with last Sunday!)

    The ground in fields was slippery, I managed to walk 20
    miles over icy, snow-covered tracks but only fell over at
    the end in a muddy field :-(. What really pissed me off was
    the sign asking walkers to keep to the path to avoid
    accidents...

    HTH, Nick

  17. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:59:35 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
    >[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
    >

    >>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
    >
    >Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

    The sun wanders round the sky half set/half risen for 24
    hours. Afterwards it sets/rises and stays that way for the
    next six months!
    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other
    42% are made up later on. In Warwick - looking at flat
    fields and that includes the castle.

  18. Gwyn

    Gwyn Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
    >the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
    >any must-not-miss walk?

    One of my favourites is Rushup Edge from Edale and you can
    cut the walk short by coming down from Mam-Nick or take in
    Mam-Tor and Hollins Cross. The path down from Hollins Cross
    to Edale can be v muddy in bad weather but you can go west
    to Greenfields farm and go to edale that way.

  19. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Chris
    Morriss <[email protected]> writes
    >It's the laws of physics about daylight hours! As it's just
    >past the equinox, and the hour will have gone forward on
    >the 28yh, then basically sunrise will be at approx 7:20am
    >and sunset approx 7:40pm. How much sun you'll really get is
    >in the lap of the Gods :) It can be very pleasant at the
    >beginning of April...but...it is England after all.

    Well here in Wales we had summer last Tuesday :)

    'Twas the best day of the week/month/year !

    Hope for some more.
    --
    Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

  20. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Well here in Wales we had summer last Tuesday :)

    Sorry about the weather at the weekend folks - my fault
    entirely. I was camping under canvas. Sorry.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.