walking in the white peak: three questions

John Goldfine

Guest
End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
any must-not-miss walk? What are the likeliest weather
condtions? Approximately how many hours of daylight are
there (I understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:09:06 -0500, john goldfine wrote:

>End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
>the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
>any must-not-miss walk? What are the likeliest weather
>condtions?

Your guess is as good as mine. It is unlikely to be
blisteringly hot but any weather within the usual spread for
the UK is possible.

> Approximately how many hours of daylight are there (I
> understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

Same amount of daylight before and after the clocks go
forward. For 31st March day length is 13 hours, night
11. One week later it is 13.5 / 10.5 - day length
changes fastest around the equinoxes. Usable twilight
will vary with the weather but if you reckon on 45mins
you won't be far out.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"

In message <[email protected]>, john
goldfine <[email protected]> writes
>End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
>the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
>any must-not-miss walk? What are the likeliest weather
>condtions? Approximately how many hours of daylight are
>there (I understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

I guess you aren't in the UK at this minute, or you would
have known that it's been a very wet winter.

It's the laws of physics about daylight hours! As it's just
past the equinox, and the hour will have gone forward on the
28yh, then basically sunrise will be at approx 7:20am and
sunset approx 7:40pm. How much sun you'll really get is in
the lap of the Gods :) It can be very pleasant at the
beginning of April...but...it is England after all.

As I said, it's been very wet here, which will make the soil
in the limestone area very muddy and slippy. The advantage
is that there should be a lot of water in the rivers that
are fed from underground springs such as the Lathkill and
the Manifold. The source of the Lathkill from the cave mouth
at the top of the dale should be quite impressive (I've not
been up yet this year, I'll probably take a walk at the top
of Lathkill Dale over Easter) Anyone know if there's a lot
of water gushing out?

You need to get the Ordnance Survey 1:25000 'White Peak'
map, which will cover all this area and give you as much
detail as you need. The area is well supplied with decent
pubs, so you shouldn't go hungry or thirsty.

Best of luck,
--
Chris Morriss

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Approximately how many hours of daylight are there (I
> understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?

Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of
daylight hours!!!

On 21st it will be the same everywhere in the world - about
12 hours from sunrise till sunset. Add a bit for twilight.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:\>
> Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of daylight
> hours!!!

How mortifying! I know the clocks don't give the world the
sun, but clock-changing makes me nervous (I once missed my
flight home from New Orleans because I was too busy eating
beignets to realize the clocks had changed.) so I threw it
in. The clock-changing DOES affect the usable daylight
sometimes and I guess that was in the back of my mind, but
no amount of protest or explanation will save me on this
one, I admit.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:56:41 -0500, "john goldfine"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:\>
>> Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of daylight
>> hours!!!
>>

>How mortifying! I know the clocks don't give the world the
>sun, but clock-changing makes me nervous (I once missed my
>flight home from New Orleans because I was too busy eating
>beignets to realize the clocks had changed.) so I threw it
>in. The clock-changing DOES affect the usable daylight
>sometimes and I guess that was in the back of my mind, but
>no amount of protest or explanation will save me on this
>one, I admit.

C'est la vie. I know what you mean though - we still get up
about the same time, generally, so we have more daylight
available. Anyway, there's sufficient daylight by then for a
30-odd mile walk, and that's plenty!

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> > Anyway, there's sufficient daylight by then for a 30-odd
> > mile walk,
> and that's plenty!

There's sufficient daylight for a thirty mile walk for me in
early April (or anytime) if you mean in a 48 hour
stretch....

In article <[email protected]>, Chris
Morriss <[email protected]> writes

>I guess you aren't in the UK at this minute, or you would
>have known that it's been a very wet winter.

On the other hand, I was on the Roaches a couple of weeks
back, and they were pretty dry. (Possibly the subsoil was
frozen, so when water was lost from the surface layers there
was no new flow to replace it.) But the Roaches to tend to
dry out fast.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

john goldfine wrote

> End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking
> in the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is
> there any must-not-miss walk?

- Wyedale from Topley Pike to DeepDale (let us know if
you're passing and I'll stick the kettle on)
- Dovedale from Ilam to Crowdecote. It can get a bit busy
but at the end of the day you have to admit that its
rather special.
- Edale Watershed. Again busy but a great Walk.
- Five edges - Birchins, Curbar, White, Frogatt, Baslow.

That should keep you going for a while ;-)

Chris
--
Cressbrook on the web
http://www.cressbrook.net

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:31:00 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:09:06 -0500, "john goldfine"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Approximately how many hours of daylight are there (I
>> understand the clocks go ahead the 28th.)?
>

>Changing the clocks doesn't affect the number of
>daylight hours!!!
>
>On 21st it will be the same everywhere in the world - about
>12 hours from sunrise till sunset.

Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)

> Add a bit for twilight.

I was up Dovedale today - with the twilight I'd reckon on at
least 40 minutes extra light after sunset although it got
chilly fast once the sun had set.

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other
42% are made up later on. In Warwick - looking at flat

Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote
>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
>[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
>>
>>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
>
>Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

They change places.
--
Gordon

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:59:35 +0000, Paul Rooney wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
>[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
>

>>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
>
>Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

Sunrise or sunset.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:59:35 +0000, Paul Rooney wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
>[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
>

>>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
>
>Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

Sunrise or sunset.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"

"john goldfine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking
> in the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is
> there any must-not-miss walk?

I was up there last weekend and walked from Ilam YHA to
Hartington YHA by two routes over two days, first going from
Hartington to Hulme End and down the Manifold Way to
Waterhouses and then across to Ilam Hall. This is nearly all
on the path of the old railway line (practically a minor
road) and is fairly scenic with a nice climb up steps to
Thors Cave for a great view halfway along. Plenty of pubs
nearby and a couple of tearooms along the way, Wetton Mill
being the nicest.

The return trip was simply up Dovedale from Ilam, following
the riverside path and then thru some fields into Hartington
itself. I'd suggest doing the diversion up from Milldale
(little shop/cafe there) to a nice pub lunch at Alstonefield
and back down again to add some time to the route, otherwise
it'll only take approx 4 hours walking. This route is quite
popular with tourists (esp National Trust who own it) but
the difference in the scenery at each end is quite
surprising. (Hello to the Outsiders walking group who I
tagged along with last Sunday!)

The ground in fields was slippery, I managed to walk 20
miles over icy, snow-covered tracks but only fell over at
the end in a muddy field :-(. What really ****** me off was
the sign asking walkers to keep to the path to avoid
accidents...

HTH, Nick

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:59:35 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:17:55 GMT,
>[email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
>

>>Insert usual disclaimer about the Poles etc...:)
>
>Why? What happens at the poles on the equinox?

The sun wanders round the sky half set/half risen for 24
hours. Afterwards it sets/rises and stays that way for the
next six months!
--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>End of March, beginning of April I'm going to be walking in
>the triangle bounded by Edale, Ilam, and Matlock. Is there
>any must-not-miss walk?

One of my favourites is Rushup Edge from Edale and you can
cut the walk short by coming down from Mam-Nick or take in
Mam-Tor and Hollins Cross. The path down from Hollins Cross
to Edale can be v muddy in bad weather but you can go west
to Greenfields farm and go to edale that way.

In article <[email protected]>, Chris
Morriss <[email protected]> writes
>It's the laws of physics about daylight hours! As it's just
>past the equinox, and the hour will have gone forward on
>the 28yh, then basically sunrise will be at approx 7:20am
>and sunset approx 7:40pm. How much sun you'll really get is
>in the lap of the Gods :) It can be very pleasant at the
>beginning of April...but...it is England after all.

Well here in Wales we had summer last Tuesday :)

'Twas the best day of the week/month/year !

Hope for some more.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> Well here in Wales we had summer last Tuesday :)

Sorry about the weather at the weekend folks - my fault
entirely. I was camping under canvas. Sorry.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.