Want Your Muscles Bigger, Stronger and More Powerful

[email protected] wrote:
> [link deleted]
>
> Hey Guys,
>
> Are you interested in getting your Muscles Bigger, Stronger and More
> Powerful?
>
> Go here are sign up FREE:
>
> [link deleted]

Can we not achieve the same by eating Spam?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Tom Sherman writes:

>> [link deleted]

>> Hey Guys,

>> Are you interested in getting your Muscles Bigger, Stronger and More
>> Powerful?

>> Go here are sign up FREE:

>> [link deleted]

> Can we not achieve the same by eating Spam?

... or reading it here on RBT.

That guy probably believes bicyclists would go faster if their muscles
were bigger but that would only slow them down and require more lungs
and heart to fuel those muscles.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
> Tom Sherman writes:
>
>>> [link deleted]

>>> Hey Guys,

>>> Are you interested in getting your Muscles Bigger, Stronger and More
>>> Powerful?

>>> Go here are sign up FREE:

>>> [link deleted]

>> Can we not achieve the same by eating Spam?

> .. or reading it here on RBT.
>
> That guy probably believes bicyclists would go faster if their muscles
> were bigger but that would only slow them down and require more lungs
> and heart to fuel those muscles.

For climbers and time trial riders, strength is certainly not the
limiting factor, but what about sprinters that rely on a short burst of
anaerobic power?

For what it is worth, I have been on a couple of short rides with
bodybuilders. Neither climbed well, and both had problems with cramps
after a few miles of moderate riding.

Tom Sherman writes:

>>> Can we not achieve the same by eating Spam?

>> .. or reading it here on RBT.

>> That guy probably believes bicyclists would go faster if their muscles
>> were bigger but that would only slow them down and require more lungs
>> and heart to fuel those muscles.

> For climbers and time trial riders, strength is certainly not the
> limiting factor, but what about sprinters that rely on a short burst of
> anaerobic power?

> For what it is worth, I have been on a couple of short rides with
> bodybuilders. Neither climbed well, and both had problems with cramps
> after a few miles of moderate riding.

Yeah, thats what they said about (Henrik) Rik van Looy, the great
Belgian sprinter, but then he went to the road and won the big ones.
I saw him in Frankfurt (D) six day races. He had big muscles as you
can see from the pix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Van_Looy

Jobst Brandt

On Jan 12, 3:23 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >> .. or reading it here on RBT.
> >> That guy probably believes bicyclists would go faster if their muscles
> >> were bigger but that would only slow them down and require more lungs
> >> and heart to fuel those muscles.

> > For climbers and time trial riders, strength is certainly not the
> > limiting factor, but what about sprinters that rely on a short burst of
> > anaerobic power?
> > For what it is worth, I have been on a couple of short rides with
> > bodybuilders. Neither climbed well, and both had problems with cramps
> > after a few miles of moderate riding.

> Yeah, thats what they said about (Henrik) Rik van Looy, the great
> Belgian sprinter, but then he went to the road and won the big ones.
> I saw him in Frankfurt (D) six day races. He had big muscles as you
> can see from the pix.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Van_Looy
>
> Jobst Brandt

I do a lot of weight training (I admit just for putting on some size)
and it certainly does NOT aid in cycling. It's just extra non
functional weight to carry along.
Problem is a lot of bodybuilders believe that excess cardio limits
development ,which is true but "excess" is a whole lot more then their
usual 3x 30' on the stationary. The cramping is more likely due to
being out of shape then due to muscle size.
Weight training with a sport in mind is done differently then weight
training for hypertrophy. Big muscles aren't always the strongest.
Some guys from the athletics (jumpers I believe) work out in the gym
and they are a lot stronger then most of the meat heads.
Most sports related training like cycling is focussed on higher
repetitions and explosive lifting using a lighter weight.

[email protected] wrote:
> Yeah, thats what they said about (Henrik) Rik van Looy, the great
> Belgian sprinter, but then he went to the road and won the big ones.
> I saw him in Frankfurt (D) six day races. He had big muscles as you
> can see from the pix.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Van_Looy

note to "Crescentius Vespasianus":
Rik's a 1933 model and still breathing.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article
<[email protected]
egroups.com>,
webhead <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > For climbers and time trial riders, strength is certainly not the
> > > limiting factor, but what about sprinters that rely on a short burst of
> > > anaerobic power?
> > > For what it is worth, I have been on a couple of short rides with
> > > bodybuilders. Neither climbed well, and both had problems with cramps
> > > after a few miles of moderate riding.

> > Yeah, thats what they said about (Henrik) Rik van Looy, the great
> > Belgian sprinter, but then he went to the road and won the big ones.
> > I saw him in Frankfurt (D) six day races. He had big muscles as you
> > can see from the pix.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Van_Looy
> >
> > Jobst Brandt

> I do a lot of weight training (I admit just for putting on some size)
> and it certainly does NOT aid in cycling. It's just extra non
> functional weight to carry along.
> Problem is a lot of bodybuilders believe that excess cardio limits
> development ,which is true but "excess" is a whole lot more then their
> usual 3x 30' on the stationary. The cramping is more likely due to
> being out of shape then due to muscle size.
> Weight training with a sport in mind is done differently then weight
> training for hypertrophy. Big muscles aren't always the strongest.
> Some guys from the athletics (jumpers I believe) work out in the gym
> and they are a lot stronger then most of the meat heads.
> Most sports related training like cycling is focussed on higher
> repetitions and explosive lifting using a lighter weight.

I read once that mass for bodybuilding for show physiques
has a large scar tissue content. Is this the case?

--
Michael Press

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:52:26 -0800 (PST), webhead <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Problem is a lot of bodybuilders believe that excess cardio limits
>development ,which is true but "excess" is a whole lot more then their
>usual 3x 30' on the stationary.

Webhead:

Tell me more - how's does doing cardio limit muscle development...
assuming the amount of body building is the same?

On Jan 13, 12:08 am, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:52:26 -0800 (PST), webhead <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Problem is a lot of bodybuilders believe that excess cardio limits
> >development ,which is true but "excess" is a whole lot more then their
> >usual 3x 30' on the stationary.

> Webhead:
>
> Tell me more - how's does doing cardio limit muscle development...
> assuming the amount of body building is the same?

The whole mass building thing relies on (as does all sorts of physical
development, including sports) progressive overload. The way you lift
weight is pretty much responsible for the adaptation following
training.
Lifting heavy weight for low reps and lots of time between sets has a
large fiber recruitment during contraction and the result is a high
response in protein synthesis, i.e. more fibers = more strength. Most
powerlifters don't look muscular because adaptation here is mostly
fibers instead of increased glycogen/water.
Lots of reps, low weight causes adaptation for endurance.
Bodybuilding lies somewhere in between and most of the mass increase
follows from increased intracellular water and solubles storage
(glycogen, creatine...). Training is based on hard lifting with little
rest and targets glycogen depletion (in a way). Some strength training
is involved to keep the training load progressing.
If you keep training load continuous (regular training) and hard
enough you get bigger but...

Nutrition is 75% of the work and it's important to be sure your food
intake provides everything for a maximum and optimal recovery. You
need sufficient protein for fiber repair and new synthesis, sufficient
carbs to restock glycogen for the next workout and some fats for
hormone production. The key is to fuel the recovery as constant as
possible, eat frequent and choose slow digesting carbs.
If you're in a caloric deficit, some part of the energy you consume
will be protein but as you guys (unlike most BBers who freak out over
it) know most is carbs and fats. Thus a caloric deficit isn't exactly
helping out retaining muscle mass. If you loose weight, some part is
inevitable muscle (lean) mass.
I do eat frequent meals and get some protein (dairy, eggs, meat) in
with every meal and that takes certainly helps in retaining mass while
dieting. But extended periods of sports doesn't help here.

In general cardio is good, endurance sports training is bad. That is
if you're interested in gaining mass and looking like it.

Scar tissue is the result of damage to an epithelial (like skin) and
damage to the basal layer: the epithelial cannot restore itself by
cell devision, instead the gap is filled with extracellular matrix
consisting of all sorts of fibers like collagen, elastin and large
water holding molecules like glycosaminoglycans. Muscular adaption is
not scar tissue but rather increased storage of "energy", water and
more muscle fibers (= hypertrophy).
There is a difference in damage to skeletal muscles and say the heart
muscle which does scar after a heart attack but thats another story.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

muscles

lungs

> > Tom Sherman writes:
> >> For climbers and time trial riders, strength is certainly not the
> >> limiting factor, but what about sprinters that rely on a short burst

of
> >> anaerobic power?
> >> For what it is worth, I have been on a couple of short rides with
> >> bodybuilders. Neither climbed well, and both had problems with cramps
> >> after a few miles of moderate riding.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Yeah, thats what they said about (Henrik) Rik van Looy, the great
> > Belgian sprinter, but then he went to the road and won the big ones.
> > I saw him in Frankfurt (D) six day races. He had big muscles as you
> > can see from the pix.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Van_Looy

> note to "Crescentius Vespasianus":
> Rik's a 1933 model and still breathing.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Francesco Moser had massive Quads and he never did well in races with a
lot of climbing.

Chas.

> Francesco Moser had massive Quads and he never did well in races with a
> lot of climbing.
>
> Chas.

Maybe massive for a cyclist, nothing impressive in the gym.