Wanted: Old school parts

Originally posted by Duckwah
Hey guys after reading this thread

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=414637#post414637

And after getting a good deal on a GT LTS frame I want to build it up with parts from the same era 97-98.

So all you guys who rode back then

A. Let me know what you think it should have on it, forks, bars, groupset etc

B. Let me klnow if you've got any spare bits lying round i can buy!!

MMMMMM old school:cool:

Don't you just love the "old school" stuff? I too have a GT Zaskar LE in team colors blue/yellow that I bought last year..still haven't built up the frame, since it's hanging on the wall in my office as an "art piece". Anyway, I have beaucoup 8 speed Shimano XTR and XT circa 1997, '98, '99, as well as a complete Shimano DX gruppo 7 speed, with thumb shifters. All of the above is new in original packaging. My "premier" stuff are the Campagnolo MTB gruppos, which are new, but not for sale. I fact, I don't sell anything via the internet, but only do business in person, should you be in the Norfolk, VA area. I have found that if you call the big internet dealers, you should be able to locate 7 and 8 speed gear, which they don't advertise. Also, you may want to check FirstFlight bicycles in North Carolina...they have a lot of NOS for sale.:)

I've seen some Judy DH dual crown forks for sale on ebay in the last few weeks still in the box and brand new for cheap. You might want to keep an eye open for that.

Do a search for judy forks right now on ebay in the cycling section. There are about four 1998 Judy XL downhill forks for sale right now, some brand new.

How old is the school? I have a complete Shimano "Mountain LX" group from about 1990

I don't know if i want to go back to 1990

I want to build it up with parts from 1997-98 although i may go nine speed for ease of finding compatible parts in the future

The fork i really want is an original marzocchi bomber, they were orange with a silver brake arch. I don't really want a set of dual crown forks cause i'm setting it up as an XC bike, I've got a brand new Giant AC2 for freeride

What i'd really like is a set of the original XT V brakes, i had a set on my first MTB and would never have gotten rid of them but some sod stole the bike

I have a 19" GT Zaskar in anodized Blue with full XTR components. The bike is in perfect condition, on problem though... I bought the bike at the top of my "crazy days". I really need a 20" to 21" frame but loved the quickness of the smaller frame when I used to ride straight up and straight down. Now that I am 46 yrs old, 6"1 and over 230 lbs. the frame is just too small. I would love to trade for same frame or bike of the size I need. If you come across anyone interested, please let me know.

Thanks