Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Wanted: Sub-$50 mtb, prefer working cond.

Started by hippy · · Last activity · 52 posts · 2,273 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 October 2004
Last activity
14 October 2004
Original author
hippy
Posts
52
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,273
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–52 of 52
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. PiledHigher said:

    For the record, the Brahma 1000 is now fixed (46x18 - 69inches) and made the commute to work.

    Getting over the cornering issues and now need to relax with dismounting/stopping.

    Oh, carn, can I have a fixie too?

    Anyone got a 56" frame that would be suitable? (I believe the going rate is $50....).

  2. Shabby said:

    Oh, carn, can I have a fixie too?

    Anyone got a 56" frame that would be suitable? (I believe the going rate is $50....).

    I doubt anyone has a 56 inch frame, some might have a 56cm one!

  3. PiledHigher said:

    For the record, the Brahma 1000 is now fixed (46x18 - 69inches) and made the commute to work.

    Nice work! 😄 Do you have any pictures, I'd like to see what it looks like in fixed-format. 🙂 Hope you get many happy km's out of the bike, Hippy's cash-->your cash-->my cash-->now in the hands of Amazon after a big order of CD's. And so the money circle goes on! :p

  4. Etxy said:

    Nice work! 😄 Do you have any pictures, I'd like to see what it looks like in fixed-format. 🙂 Hope you get many happy km's out of the bike, Hippy's cash-->your cash-->my cash-->now in the hands of Amazon after a big order of CD's. And so the money circle goes on! :p

    I'll try to get some pictures in the near future.

  5. "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Etxy said:

    Nice work! 😄 Do you have any pictures, I'd like to see what it looks
    like in fixed-format. 🙂 Hope you get many happy km's out of the bike,
    Hippy's cash-->your cash-->my cash-->now in the hands of Amazon after a
    big order of CD's. And so the money circle goes on! :p

    I'll try to get some pictures in the near future.

    --
    PiledHigher


    Ok, now I have an overwhelming urge to build my own fixie. Browsing
    fixedgeargallery.com last night didn't help matters either. Anyone in
    Melbourne got a smallish (I'm only 5'6"😉 road bike they want to get rid of
    cheaply? I've already got a good roadbike on layby, so I'm looking for
    cheap. Besides, part of the attraction is the idea of making a silk purse
    from a sow's ear. Granted, the end result will more likely by a mangled
    sow's ear than a silk purse, but I can hope...

  6. Resound said:

    "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Etxy said:

    Nice work! 😄 Do you have any pictures, I'd like to see what it looks
    like in fixed-format. 🙂 Hope you get many happy km's out of the bike,
    Hippy's cash-->your cash-->my cash-->now in the hands of Amazon after a
    big order of CD's. And so the money circle goes on! :p

    I'll try to get some pictures in the near future.

    --
    PiledHigher


    Ok, now I have an overwhelming urge to build my own fixie. Browsing
    fixedgeargallery.com last night didn't help matters either. Anyone in
    Melbourne got a smallish (I'm only 5'6"😉 road bike they want to get rid of
    cheaply? I've already got a good roadbike on layby, so I'm looking for
    cheap. Besides, part of the attraction is the idea of making a silk purse
    from a sow's ear. Granted, the end result will more likely by a mangled
    sow's ear than a silk purse, but I can hope...

    For the record, mine was a fairly soft conversion option:

    - I had some track cranks with rare as hens teeth 151 bcd which I managed to get a 46 tooth cog for. Pedals from the brahama 1000 (v. old looks)
    - New cheap chain
    - I got a wheel predished with an 18 cog from a friend
    - front wheel is one of many from the collection!
    - Replaced the brakes with rx 100 brakes calipers from 1st real bike (now departed) and the brake pads from the Brahama 1000
    - bodged together some reused bar tape.
    - kept existing handlebars, brake levers and seat (sligt height adjustment)
    - throw on crappy mini pump and water bottle cage, light mounts from the parts bin.

    Ride!
    -

  7. "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Resound said:

    "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Etxy Wrote:
    > Nice work! 😄 Do you have any pictures, I'd like to see what it


    looks

    Quoted message said:

    > like in fixed-format. 🙂 Hope you get many happy km's out of the


    bike,

    Quoted message said:

    > Hippy's cash-->your cash-->my cash-->now in the hands of Amazon


    after a

    Quoted message said:

    > big order of CD's. And so the money circle goes on! :p

    I'll try to get some pictures in the near future.

    --
    PiledHigher


    Ok, now I have an overwhelming urge to build my own fixie. Browsing
    fixedgeargallery.com last night didn't help matters either. Anyone in
    Melbourne got a smallish (I'm only 5'6"😉 road bike they want to get rid
    of
    cheaply? I've already got a good roadbike on layby, so I'm looking
    for
    cheap. Besides, part of the attraction is the idea of making a silk
    purse
    from a sow's ear. Granted, the end result will more likely by a
    mangled
    sow's ear than a silk purse, but I can hope...

    For the record, mine was a fairly soft conversion option:

    - I had some track cranks with rare as hens teeth 151 bcd which I
    managed to get a 46 tooth cog for. Pedals from the brahama 1000 (v. old
    looks)
    - New cheap chain
    - I got a wheel predished with an 18 cog from a friend
    - front wheel is one of many from the collection!
    - Replaced the brakes with rx 100 brakes calipers from 1st real bike
    (now departed) and the brake pads from the Brahama 1000
    - bodged together some reused bar tape.
    - kept existing handlebars, brake levers and seat (sligt height
    adjustment)
    - throw on crappy mini pump and water bottle cage, light mounts from
    the parts bin.

    Ride!
    -

    --
    PiledHigher

    The method I was hoping to use was largely that of removing stuff. The rear
    hub will need to be modified or replaced and wheel laced/redished; and a new
    chain sounds like a good idea, but gor the rest I was going to simply remove
    the derailleurs and rear brake, invert and cut the handlebars for a set of
    faux bullhorns, remove a chainring, probably the larger and take a hacksaw
    and file to any extraneous cable guides and lugs and braze-ons and suchlike.
    The process would include full disassembly and painting and so on, but that
    was the modification prcess in a nutshell.

  8. "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Resound said:

    "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Etxy Wrote:
    > Nice work! 😄 Do you have any pictures, I'd like to see what it


    looks

    Quoted message said:

    > like in fixed-format. 🙂 Hope you get many happy km's out of the


    bike,

    Quoted message said:

    > Hippy's cash-->your cash-->my cash-->now in the hands of Amazon


    after a

    Quoted message said:

    > big order of CD's. And so the money circle goes on! :p

    I'll try to get some pictures in the near future.

    --
    PiledHigher


    Ok, now I have an overwhelming urge to build my own fixie. Browsing
    fixedgeargallery.com last night didn't help matters either. Anyone in
    Melbourne got a smallish (I'm only 5'6"😉 road bike they want to get rid
    of
    cheaply? I've already got a good roadbike on layby, so I'm looking
    for
    cheap. Besides, part of the attraction is the idea of making a silk
    purse
    from a sow's ear. Granted, the end result will more likely by a
    mangled
    sow's ear than a silk purse, but I can hope...

    For the record, mine was a fairly soft conversion option:

    - I had some track cranks with rare as hens teeth 151 bcd which I
    managed to get a 46 tooth cog for. Pedals from the brahama 1000 (v. old
    looks)
    - New cheap chain
    - I got a wheel predished with an 18 cog from a friend
    - front wheel is one of many from the collection!
    - Replaced the brakes with rx 100 brakes calipers from 1st real bike
    (now departed) and the brake pads from the Brahama 1000
    - bodged together some reused bar tape.
    - kept existing handlebars, brake levers and seat (sligt height
    adjustment)
    - throw on crappy mini pump and water bottle cage, light mounts from
    the parts bin.

    Ride!
    -

    --
    PiledHigher


    Whilst I think of it, does anyone know if there's a company that makes 700C
    slicks in chartreuse? *WEG* And yes, I do actually want some.

  9. "Resound" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I think of it, does anyone know if there's a company that
    makes 700C slicks in chartreuse? *WEG* And yes, I do actually want
    some.

    http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/tires_tubes/10054.html MAYBE?

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  10. "Resound" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I think of it, does anyone know if there's a company that makes


    700C

    Quoted message said:

    slicks in chartreuse? *WEG* And yes, I do actually want some.

    I thought "chartreuse" was a horrible drink that
    "friends" make you shot on your 21st birthday?

    hippy

  11. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Resound" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I think of it, does anyone know if there's a company that makes


    700C slicks in chartreuse? *WEG* And yes, I do actually want some.

    I thought "chartreuse" was a horrible drink that
    "friends" make you shot on your 21st birthday?

    http://www.chartreuse.fr/pa_green&yellow_uk.htm

    Looks like "green" to me.. ?

    hippy

  12. "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "hippy" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Resound" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Whilst I think of it, does anyone know if there's a company that makes


    700C slicks in chartreuse? *WEG* And yes, I do actually want some.

    I thought "chartreuse" was a horrible drink that
    "friends" make you shot on your 21st birthday?

    http://www.chartreuse.fr/pa_green&yellow_uk.htm

    Looks like "green" to me.. ?

    hippy


    It's that colour that might be a greenish yellow, or perhaps a yellowish
    green depending on your mood, the phase of the moon, the number of mimes on
    the Champs Elysée and whether Humphrey B. Bear or Fat Cat is ascendant.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.