UK and Europe · Public discussion

Wanted: Tips for time trialist

Started by Undercover Elep · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,506 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 April 2003
Last activity
7 April 2003
Original author
Undercover Elep
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,506
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Alan Oakley <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Undercover Elephant said:

    Hi

    As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to take
    it more seriously this year.

    Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of training produces the best
    results? (in general, I know everyone's different).

    Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?

    Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!

    Max

    This is my first year of time trialling as well. I did my first open 10 last weekend (29:12). I
    think I have left it a bit late to be able to get down as low as 22 mins. My vets standard time is
    26:06(43 yrs old) so I have some to make up. I have Joe Friels book "The Cyclist's Training
    Bible". It's very good covering food, fitness, recovery, just in more detail than the help already
    gibven on this thread. It divides the whole year up and helps to get the correct sort of training
    at the right time of year.

    ISBN 0 7136 5084 2

    You havent left it too late! I started 2 years ago aged 40. My PB's achieved at the end of last year
    were 22:45 (10 miles), 2:02:30 (50 miles), 4:34 (100 miles) on my £300 Raleigh shopping trolley and
    57:37 (25 miles) on a friend's proper TT bike. The thing is I only gave up smoking when I was about
    32 and did no exercise (and I mean NONE) until I was about 37! I like to think I've just been saving
    myself! A clubmate did a PB of 58 something last year - he's 69 and been doing it since year dot!
    Its all about training and how much you're perpared to hurt yourself.

    I did my first road race 3 weeks ago, now that was FUN! I acheived my main objectives of finishing
    with the bunch and not causing a crash.

    Russell

  2. "Smudger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Frank" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Smudger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    >

    You would have done a much better time if you hadn't used your speedo!


    I'm pretty sure I could go faster than 30 maybe even 26 or 27 minutes,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    I

    Quoted message said:

    like the speedo if I don't have it I tend to go to fast at the beginning


    and

    Quoted message said:

    burn out.

    Why do you think it is better without?

    Because your brain will tell you to slow down before your body needs too. If you set a limit for
    yourself using your speedo then you will only work


    up

    Quoted message said:

    to that speed. Using an HRM you can manage your effort to a level that


    you

    Quoted message said:

    know you can maintain, which will be more than you realise, and keep that level up. Your brain
    will complain and tell you to slow down but the HRM won't lie so you'll be able to push harder.
    It's true, it works.

    Yebut, I'm not exactly an elite athlete striing for the ultimate time.

    I do use a HRM but my sustainable rate is anywhere between 130 and 160 depending on when I took my
    beta blocker.

    I do appreciate what your saying and will give it a go the next time I'm somewhere suitably flat,
    I'm just not sure it would work for me.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.