WATER (and more water)

H

Hoaxbuster

My doctor told me we are suppose to drink 1/2 our weight in ounces per day...otherwise we are
dehydrated.

First time in 67 years I've heard that one.

I do remember a doctor telling me that water was to us as oil is to a machine. Lack of either causes
the joints to stiffen.

So, 200 lbs = 100 ounces = 12 1/2 glasses? Guess any kind of liquid (less booze, beer, &
wine) would do.

Nan

That's why "soup" is a popular meal in Europe, since you get liquide in your stomach, before the
main meal, also eat less from the heavier second dish, because it curbs your hunger. I like soups.
Here in the US, salads replaced the soup most places.

Julius

"Hoaxbuster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7081-40323FBB-384@storefull-
3296.bay.webtv.net...
> My doctor told me we are suppose to drink 1/2 our weight in ounces per day...otherwise we are
> dehydrated.
>
> First time in 67 years I've heard that one.
>
> I do remember a doctor telling me that water was to us as oil is to a machine. Lack of either
> causes the joints to stiffen.
>
> So, 200 lbs = 100 ounces = 12 1/2 glasses? Guess any kind of liquid (less booze, beer, & wine)
> would do.
>
> Nan

Interesting "math" I must say---it's not like we have a "dipstick" to see if we're low on water!!!

I would suggest that you ask your physician for a specific reference to a journal article that would
advocate such a "mathematical calculation" to how much water you should drink.

A recent study (I don't recall from where, but for some reason I believe it was from Stolkholm,
Sweden) that the current thinking that "we should drink BEFORE we become thirsty" and that it should
be "alcohol, and caffeine free" is nonsense.

My belief is, if you're thirsty, DRINK. If you're not, don't force yourself. In regards to alcohol,
we all know, if you drink, you need to use the restroom, and we all know the "next morning "dries""---
I've seen nothing in the literature indicating that the "thirst response" is impaired by alcohol
(although many of our other senses are!!!)

The "standby rule" has always been 8 glasses of water per day---which is not weight dependant.
Generally speaking, it's my belief, you drink when thirsty, and maybe have a couple of glasses extra
with your meals, and really, it doesn't matter what the fluid is--coffee, tea, milk, water, koolaid,
gatorade---doesn't matter.

Just my thoughts

Murray A.W. Hudon, R.N.

[email protected]

www.snowcountrywellness.com

"Hoaxbuster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7081-40323FBB-384@storefull-
3296.bay.webtv.net...
> My doctor told me we are suppose to drink 1/2 our weight in ounces per day...otherwise we are
> dehydrated.
>
> First time in 67 years I've heard that one.
>
> I do remember a doctor telling me that water was to us as oil is to a machine. Lack of either
> causes the joints to stiffen.
>
> So, 200 lbs = 100 ounces = 12 1/2 glasses? Guess any kind of liquid (less booze, beer, & wine)
> would do.
>
> Nan

Thank you for input. It was the first time I've heard of it. Thing is
- I don't really get thirsty. Drink at meals so 6 glasses - maybe a day.

I had heard that scenario about auto/oil in the 50s.

Shoot - you hear everything. I'm gonna try it -see if it elps blood sugar (I'm still in denial-who
me? Type 2?...Naaaw

Have a nice day

Nan

Murray Hudon wrote:
> Interesting "math" I must say---it's not like we have a "dipstick" to see if we're low on water!!!
>
> I would suggest that you ask your physician for a specific reference to a journal article that
> would advocate such a "mathematical calculation" to how much water you should drink.
>
> A recent study (I don't recall from where, but for some reason I believe it was from Stolkholm,
> Sweden) that the current thinking that "we should drink BEFORE we become thirsty" and that it
> should be "alcohol, and caffeine free" is nonsense.
>
> My belief is, if you're thirsty, DRINK. If you're not, don't force yourself. In regards to
> alcohol, we all know, if you drink, you need to use the restroom, and we all know the "next
> morning "dries""--- I've seen nothing in the literature indicating that the "thirst response" is
> impaired by alcohol (although many of our other senses are!!!)
>
> The "standby rule" has always been 8 glasses of water per day---which is not weight dependant.
> Generally speaking, it's my belief, you drink when thirsty, and maybe have a couple of glasses
> extra with your meals, and really, it doesn't matter what the fluid is--coffee, tea, milk, water,
> koolaid, gatorade---doesn't matter.

Hmm. Hmm. I don't think it's quite that simple. For example, for us diabetics, drinking a lot of
fluids with lots of calories (such as 180 caloris/cup of whole milk) is begging for grief for other
reasons unless you handle the caloric input otherwise (cutting out carbs, taking insulin,
incorporating them into your normal meals, etc.). And when you're low on electrolytes (such as from
sweating a lot when practicing physical sports or during yard work in August), some electrolyte
heavy sources like Gatorade and do things for your body that just plain water won't do.

Balance in all things, which all means restoring the things you're short on.

I am a new poster and a new Diabetic. Because I have a long history of kidney stones I am supposed
to drinks lots of water. I was drinking it like it was gold for about two month. I mean a gallon a
day. Plus another half gallon of other stuff. A couple of days before I was diagnosed my thirst was
gone. Now I am back to having to force myself to drink anything. Alcohol is said to be very
dehyfrating. Janice Also I drink Crystal Lite. I dont think my body knows there was this little tin
of power added to the water.