WATER (and more water)

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Hoaxbuster, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Hoaxbuster

    Hoaxbuster Guest

    My doctor told me we are suppose to drink 1/2 our weight in ounces per day...otherwise we are
    dehydrated.

    First time in 67 years I've heard that one.

    I do remember a doctor telling me that water was to us as oil is to a machine. Lack of either causes
    the joints to stiffen.

    So, 200 lbs = 100 ounces = 12 1/2 glasses? Guess any kind of liquid (less booze, beer, &
    wine) would do.

    Nan

    Tags:

  2. Szaki

    Szaki Guest

    That's why "soup" is a popular meal in Europe, since you get liquide in your stomach, before the
    main meal, also eat less from the heavier second dish, because it curbs your hunger. I like soups.
    Here in the US, salads replaced the soup most places.

    Julius

    "Hoaxbuster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3296.bay.webtv.net...
    > My doctor told me we are suppose to drink 1/2 our weight in ounces per day...otherwise we are
    > dehydrated.
    >
    > First time in 67 years I've heard that one.
    >
    > I do remember a doctor telling me that water was to us as oil is to a machine. Lack of either
    > causes the joints to stiffen.
    >
    > So, 200 lbs = 100 ounces = 12 1/2 glasses? Guess any kind of liquid (less booze, beer, & wine)
    > would do.
    >
    > Nan

  3. Murray Hudon

    Murray Hudon Guest

    Interesting "math" I must say---it's not like we have a "dipstick" to see if we're low on water!!!

    I would suggest that you ask your physician for a specific reference to a journal article that would
    advocate such a "mathematical calculation" to how much water you should drink.

    A recent study (I don't recall from where, but for some reason I believe it was from Stolkholm,
    Sweden) that the current thinking that "we should drink BEFORE we become thirsty" and that it should
    be "alcohol, and caffeine free" is nonsense.

    My belief is, if you're thirsty, DRINK. If you're not, don't force yourself. In regards to alcohol,
    we all know, if you drink, you need to use the restroom, and we all know the "next morning "dries""---
    I've seen nothing in the literature indicating that the "thirst response" is impaired by alcohol
    (although many of our other senses are!!!)

    The "standby rule" has always been 8 glasses of water per day---which is not weight dependant.
    Generally speaking, it's my belief, you drink when thirsty, and maybe have a couple of glasses extra
    with your meals, and really, it doesn't matter what the fluid is--coffee, tea, milk, water, koolaid,
    gatorade---doesn't matter.

    Just my thoughts

    Murray A.W. Hudon, R.N.

    [email protected]

    www.snowcountrywellness.com

    "Hoaxbuster" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    3296.bay.webtv.net...
    > My doctor told me we are suppose to drink 1/2 our weight in ounces per day...otherwise we are
    > dehydrated.
    >
    > First time in 67 years I've heard that one.
    >
    > I do remember a doctor telling me that water was to us as oil is to a machine. Lack of either
    > causes the joints to stiffen.
    >
    > So, 200 lbs = 100 ounces = 12 1/2 glasses? Guess any kind of liquid (less booze, beer, & wine)
    > would do.
    >
    > Nan

  4. Hoaxbuster

    Hoaxbuster Guest

    Thank you for input. It was the first time I've heard of it. Thing is
    - I don't really get thirsty. Drink at meals so 6 glasses - maybe a day.

    I had heard that scenario about auto/oil in the 50s.

    Shoot - you hear everything. I'm gonna try it -see if it elps blood sugar (I'm still in denial-who
    me? Type 2?...Naaaw

    Have a nice day

    Nan

  5. Murray Hudon wrote:
    > Interesting "math" I must say---it's not like we have a "dipstick" to see if we're low on water!!!
    >
    > I would suggest that you ask your physician for a specific reference to a journal article that
    > would advocate such a "mathematical calculation" to how much water you should drink.
    >
    > A recent study (I don't recall from where, but for some reason I believe it was from Stolkholm,
    > Sweden) that the current thinking that "we should drink BEFORE we become thirsty" and that it
    > should be "alcohol, and caffeine free" is nonsense.
    >
    > My belief is, if you're thirsty, DRINK. If you're not, don't force yourself. In regards to
    > alcohol, we all know, if you drink, you need to use the restroom, and we all know the "next
    > morning "dries""--- I've seen nothing in the literature indicating that the "thirst response" is
    > impaired by alcohol (although many of our other senses are!!!)
    >
    > The "standby rule" has always been 8 glasses of water per day---which is not weight dependant.
    > Generally speaking, it's my belief, you drink when thirsty, and maybe have a couple of glasses
    > extra with your meals, and really, it doesn't matter what the fluid is--coffee, tea, milk, water,
    > koolaid, gatorade---doesn't matter.

    Hmm. Hmm. I don't think it's quite that simple. For example, for us diabetics, drinking a lot of
    fluids with lots of calories (such as 180 caloris/cup of whole milk) is begging for grief for other
    reasons unless you handle the caloric input otherwise (cutting out carbs, taking insulin,
    incorporating them into your normal meals, etc.). And when you're low on electrolytes (such as from
    sweating a lot when practicing physical sports or during yard work in August), some electrolyte
    heavy sources like Gatorade and do things for your body that just plain water won't do.

    Balance in all things, which all means restoring the things you're short on.

  6. J N

    J N Guest

    I am a new poster and a new Diabetic. Because I have a long history of kidney stones I am supposed
    to drinks lots of water. I was drinking it like it was gold for about two month. I mean a gallon a
    day. Plus another half gallon of other stuff. A couple of days before I was diagnosed my thirst was
    gone. Now I am back to having to force myself to drink anything. Alcohol is said to be very
    dehyfrating. Janice Also I drink Crystal Lite. I dont think my body knows there was this little tin
    of power added to the water.