Water Boiling

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris Naylor, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Been thinking,

    Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    Cheers

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply

    A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

    Tags:

  2. Sometimes it's useful to be able to pour boiling water onto something
    already in the pan, e.g. smash. Or boil the kettle while eating out of the
    pan. I think the extra weight of a small trangia kettle is well worth it.

    Adrian

    "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Been thinking,
    >
    > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > Chris Naylor
    > Cut the nonsense to reply
    > http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net
    >
    > A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

  3. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:54:33 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    >main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    >forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    >balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    >boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    >extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    I only take one pan but its lid can be turned upside down and used as
    a frying pan. I have learnt that water does boil faster if I put the
    lid on and LEAVE IT ON! (It's always tempting to take the lid off
    after 30 seconds and see if it's done yet!)

    I very occasionally use the lid as a pan, so I am considering leaving
    it behind and taking some tin foil to use as a lid. I would take good
    quality foil, so that I can't accidently rip it.

    I do have a camping kettle but only use it for car camping.

    Judith

  4. Alan Bremner

    Alan Bremner Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for boiling water

    Dunno about necessary but I wouldn't be without my ancient cheapo alu
    kettle.

    > or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    Mine is very light and I reckon the ground coffee I carry weighs more
    anyhow. There are some luxuries that I just can't leave behind.... :)

    --
    Al

    [This space intentionally left blank]

  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:04:32 -0000, "Adrian Fawcett"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sometimes it's useful to be able to pour boiling water onto something
    >already in the pan, e.g. smash.

    Can't you pour the smash into the hot water in the pan?

  6. Mark Manning

    Mark Manning Guest

    Rather than taking a pan and a kettle, I take a pan and a plastic bowl
    with a lid (which is pretty light). I can then put porridge mix or instant
    custard in the bowl, and add boiling water from the pan. The only cooking
    I actually do in the pan is the main meal, which I then quickly clean. Most
    of the time, the pan is my "kettle", and is just boiling water.

    Hope this is useful!
    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Chris Naylor wrote:
    > Been thinking,
    >
    > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    Just put a lid on the pan.

    A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
    pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
    kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
    up that handy pouring spout).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  8. In message <[email protected]>, Adrian
    Fawcett <[email protected]> writes
    >Sometimes it's useful to be able to pour boiling water onto something
    >already in the pan, e.g. smash. Or boil the kettle while eating out of the
    >pan. I think the extra weight of a small trangia kettle is well worth it.
    >
    >Adrian

    I bought the Trangia without many years ago - partly to save weight but
    in those days mainly to save money. But recently have wondered about
    having a kettle. Do you think Alan you could pop downstairs and weigh
    yours and let us know what we're talking about?

    --
    Michael Farthing
    Aardvark Ltd

  9. david blewit

    david blewit Guest

    > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    If you've got some mess tins you can make the meal in the small tin and
    put some water in the large one.
    Use the large tin as a lid when cooking the meal and it will get the
    water warm'ish and take a bit less boiling time.

    This may be a bit more efficient than a seperate kettle, and might make
    up for the weight a little. I used to do this when I was in the army
    cadets.

    Regards, Blew

  10. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    says...
    > Chris Naylor wrote:
    > > Been thinking,
    > >
    > > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    > > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    > > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    > > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    > > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    > > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    > Just put a lid on the pan.
    >
    > A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
    > pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
    > kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
    > up that handy pouring spout).

    And also doubles up as a nice mug for those with asbestos lips.

    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  11. In article <MPG.1c7094a0deb34c2[email protected]>, Darren G
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >says...
    >> Chris Naylor wrote:
    >> > Been thinking,
    >> >
    >> > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
    >> > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
    >> > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
    >> > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
    >> > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
    >> > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

    >> Just put a lid on the pan.
    >>
    >> A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
    >> pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
    >> kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
    >> up that handy pouring spout).

    >And also doubles up as a nice mug for those with asbestos lips.

    Those without put a bit of duct tape or heavy duty insulation tape on
    the lip of the pan / pot / kettley thing and suffer no burning lip
    sensations or lack of them :-(

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  12. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, {d-sep03}
    @dscs.demon.co.uk says...

    > >> A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
    > >> pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
    > >> kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
    > >> up that handy pouring spout).

    > >And also doubles up as a nice mug for those with asbestos lips.

    > Those without put a bit of duct tape or heavy duty insulation tape on
    > the lip of the pan / pot / kettley thing and suffer no burning lip
    > sensations or lack of them :-(

    hmmm. must try that. will let the burns heal first though.

    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  13. stu

    stu Guest

    my msr titanium kettle is my pot, my kettle, my mug and my 'plate'.
    and yes, take the lid to the pan, it will help conserve heat.

    -Stu

  14. stu