Water Boiling

Chris Naylor

Guest
Been thinking,

Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

Cheers

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply

A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

Sometimes it's useful to be able to pour boiling water onto something
already in the pan, e.g. smash. Or boil the kettle while eating out of the
pan. I think the extra weight of a small trangia kettle is well worth it.

Adrian

"Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Been thinking,
>
> Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
> main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
> forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
> balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
> boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
> extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Chris Naylor
> Cut the nonsense to reply
> http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net
>
> A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:54:33 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
>main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
>forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
>balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
>boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
>extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

I only take one pan but its lid can be turned upside down and used as
a frying pan. I have learnt that water does boil faster if I put the
lid on and LEAVE IT ON! (It's always tempting to take the lid off
after 30 seconds and see if it's done yet!)

I very occasionally use the lid as a pan, so I am considering leaving
it behind and taking some tin foil to use as a lid. I would take good
quality foil, so that I can't accidently rip it.

I do have a camping kettle but only use it for car camping.

Judith

<[email protected]> wrote:

> do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for boiling water

Dunno about necessary but I wouldn't be without my ancient cheapo alu
kettle.

> or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
> extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

Mine is very light and I reckon the ground coffee I carry weighs more
anyhow. There are some luxuries that I just can't leave behind.... :)

--
Al

[This space intentionally left blank]

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:04:32 -0000, "Adrian Fawcett"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sometimes it's useful to be able to pour boiling water onto something
>already in the pan, e.g. smash.

Can't you pour the smash into the hot water in the pan?

Rather than taking a pan and a kettle, I take a pan and a plastic bowl
with a lid (which is pretty light). I can then put porridge mix or instant
custard in the bowl, and add boiling water from the pan. The only cooking
I actually do in the pan is the main meal, which I then quickly clean. Most
of the time, the pan is my "kettle", and is just boiling water.

Hope this is useful!
Mark
--
Mark Manning [email protected]

Chris Naylor wrote:
> Been thinking,
>
> Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
> main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
> forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
> balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
> boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
> extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

Just put a lid on the pan.

A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
up that handy pouring spout).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In message <[email protected]>, Adrian
Fawcett <[email protected]> writes
>Sometimes it's useful to be able to pour boiling water onto something
>already in the pan, e.g. smash. Or boil the kettle while eating out of the
>pan. I think the extra weight of a small trangia kettle is well worth it.
>
>Adrian

I bought the Trangia without many years ago - partly to save weight but
in those days mainly to save money. But recently have wondered about
having a kettle. Do you think Alan you could pop downstairs and weigh
yours and let us know what we're talking about?

--
Michael Farthing
Aardvark Ltd

> Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
> main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
> forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
> balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
> boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
> extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

If you've got some mess tins you can make the meal in the small tin and
put some water in the large one.
Use the large tin as a lid when cooking the meal and it will get the
water warm'ish and take a bit less boiling time.

This may be a bit more efficient than a seperate kettle, and might make
up for the weight a little. I used to do this when I was in the army
cadets.

Regards, Blew

says...
> Chris Naylor wrote:
> > Been thinking,
> >
> > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
> > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
> > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
> > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
> > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
> > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

> Just put a lid on the pan.
>
> A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
> pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
> kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
> up that handy pouring spout).

And also doubles up as a nice mug for those with asbestos lips.

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

In article <[email protected]>, Darren G
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>says...
>> Chris Naylor wrote:
>> > Been thinking,
>> >
>> > Usually when I go backpacking I boil water for meals and things using my
>> > main pan. This strikes me as being very inefficient and seems to take
>> > forever. As a solo walker over usually 4-5 days with kit I'm trying to
>> > balance my weight - do people find it neccessary to carry a kettle for
>> > boiling water or do you find that the added weight isn't worth it for that
>> > extra bit of fuel needed to boil the water?

>> Just put a lid on the pan.
>>
>> A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
>> pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
>> kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
>> up that handy pouring spout).

>And also doubles up as a nice mug for those with asbestos lips.

Those without put a bit of duct tape or heavy duty insulation tape on
the lip of the pan / pot / kettley thing and suffer no burning lip
sensations or lack of them :-(

--

Dominic Sexton

In article <[email protected]>, {d-sep03}
@dscs.demon.co.uk says...

> >> A kettle is nicer because it has a pouring spout, handy for convenient
> >> pouring if you're brewing up, but if you put a lid on the pan then a
> >> kettle won't be much more efficient (possibly less, with heat escaping
> >> up that handy pouring spout).

> >And also doubles up as a nice mug for those with asbestos lips.

> Those without put a bit of duct tape or heavy duty insulation tape on
> the lip of the pan / pot / kettley thing and suffer no burning lip
> sensations or lack of them :-(

hmmm. must try that. will let the burns heal first though.

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

my msr titanium kettle is my pot, my kettle, my mug and my 'plate'.
and yes, take the lid to the pan, it will help conserve heat.

-Stu