General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

Started by Mark P · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,803 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 September 2003
Last activity
13 September 2003
Original author
Mark P
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,803
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk and since then a couple
    scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become very soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably
    catches on the water resistance and over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my skin
    to a significant and uncomfortable degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any favors
    either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least
    shield them from the water drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off
    themselves. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something
    that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on through several
    thousand yards of swimming.

    Thanks, Mark

  2. "Mark P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    healing process any favors either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the
    scabs hoping to at least shield them from the


    water

    Quoted message said:

    drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off themselves. Has anyone come up with
    a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will wrap entirely around the
    forearm and fit snugly


    if

    Quoted message said:

    I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.

    Have you tried the liquid Band-Aid stuff? I've not used it yet, but used a similar product years ago
    called NewSkin or Nu-Skin, or something like that. It was breathable, waterproof and carried an
    antiseptic - worked quite well.

  3. "Mark P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk and since then a couple
    scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become very soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably
    catches on the water resistance and over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my
    skin to a significant and uncomfortable degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any
    favors either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at
    least shield them from the water drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off
    themselves. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need
    something that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on
    through several thousand yards of swimming.

    In another context (road rash from motorcycle accidents), I have read that keeping wounds moist
    during healing (with creams and the like) actually results in less scarring.

    If you want to bandage it, you could try duct tape over gauze. :-) I have been using duct tape over
    a wart on my foot after reading a news report late last year on a medical study that concluded that
    it was as effective as liquid nitrogen treatment. I've noticed that the duct tape stays on pretty
    well in the water, as long as it was originally applied to dry, clean skin.

    (I am not a doctor, so take this advice with a grain of salt.)

  4. Mark P says...

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will
    wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on through several
    thousand yards of swimming.

    3M makes a line of waterproof bandages called Nexcare, which you should find in the store in the
    same area as the regular Band-Aids. I've used them for swimming, and they work.

    The only question is whether they make them big enough for what you want. Here's what I found
    at 3m.com:

    3M Nexcare Waterproof Bandages, Knee and Elbow 582-10 Waterproof Bandages, Knee and Elbow; 2-3/8
    inch x 3-1/2 inch, 10 Bandages/box

  5. "Mark P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk


    and

    Quoted message said:

    since then a couple scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become


    very

    Quoted message said:

    soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably catches on the water resistance


    and

    Quoted message said:

    over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my skin to a significant and uncomfortable
    degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any favors either. After a week of this,
    today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least shield them from the


    water

    Quoted message said:

    drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off themselves. Has anyone come up with
    a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will wrap entirely around the
    forearm and fit snugly


    if

    Quoted message said:

    I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.

    Thanks, Mark

    Thanks for the many good suggestions. By now my condition has improved considerably but I'll keep
    all of this in mind for the (inevitable) future injury.

  6. I have used a thick coat of Desitin (the white diaper rash cream) on wounds before and it
    worked for me.

    Marianne

    "mrdancer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mark P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    healing process any favors either. After a week of this, today I put


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least shield them from the


    water

    Quoted message said:

    drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off


    themselves.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    need something that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly


    if

    Quoted message said:

    I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.

    Have you tried the liquid Band-Aid stuff? I've not used it yet, but used


    a

    Quoted message said:

    similar product years ago called NewSkin or Nu-Skin, or something like


    that.

    Quoted message said:

    It was breathable, waterproof and carried an antiseptic - worked quite


    well.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.