rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Way over due for a Helmet!

Started by JackOlsen · · Last activity · 14 posts · 529 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
7 November 2005
Last activity
14 November 2005
Original author
JackOlsen
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
529
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I really should be wearing a helmet with the things I am trying these
    days. I am looking for a skate style helmet thats pretty comfortable
    and not super bulky. Every helmet I've tried on in a shop feels like
    its four inches thick and triples the size of my head.

    All reccomendations are appreciated. And my mom will appreicate it to.

    --
    JackOlsen
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JackOlsen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10930
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  2. Giro had a helmet called the Semi that has the BMX/Skate style but is
    constructed like a bike helmet. It is made from the same type of foam
    as road bike and mountain bike helmets, it's just styled like a
    BMX/skate helmet. Light weight like a regular bike helmet. I like it.
    But I just checked the 'Giro' (http://www.giro.com/) web site and they
    don't have it listed in their 2006 lineup. It looks like they've
    discontinued it. You might still be able to find it in stock
    somewhere.

    The Giro Xen has similar head coverage to the Semi. The Xen just has
    more vents and is styled like a bike helmet and comes with a $100+
    price instead of the $60- price of the Semi.

    Since the Xen and Semi are bike style helmets they are crash once and
    replace. The BMX/skate helmets are more multi-impact and also more
    than double the weight and bulk.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  3. john_childs said:

    Giro had a helmet called the Semi that has the BMX/Skate style but is
    constructed like a bike helmet. It is made from the same type of foam
    as road bike and mountain bike helmets, it's just styled like a
    BMX/skate helmet. Light weight like a regular bike helmet. I like it.
    But I just checked the 'Giro' (http://www.giro.com/) web site and they
    don't have it listed in their 2006 lineup. It looks like they've
    discontinued it. You might still be able to find it in stock
    somewhere.

    The Giro Xen has similar head coverage to the Semi. The Xen just has
    more vents and is styled like a bike helmet and comes with a $100+
    price instead of the $60- price of the Semi.

    Since the Xen and Semi are bike style helmets they are crash once and
    replace. The BMX/skate helmets are more multi-impact and also more
    than double the weight and bulk.

    I'd go with the Semi too.

    'HERES ONE FOR $35!' (HTTP://TINYURL.COM/7T9BH)

    --
    DK

    can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    of dying authors burning books there was a problem with what they
    wrote
    the flag is hard to read because all flags start to look the same
    when covered with the blood of the faithless and insane
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  4. I use a semi, don't mind it. Gets kinda hot, but I also have a bunch of
    hair stuffed in there. I use it for uniing, but when I'mjust doing road
    stuff I use my road bike helmet, which is one of the Giro road bike
    helmets. I've tested one out and I survived, so it must be pretty
    decent. Use a road bike helmet if you just ride roads. If you do
    trials, street, or muni, use something like the semi.

    I'd reccomend buying your helmet at REI. They have a 100% return
    policy. They even accepted my smashed Giro road helmet for a trade in
    when I showed the manager.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  5. Anyone know of a helmet that doesn't get super hot... Living in darwin
    during the wet season, in about 35 degrees celsius, and an extremely
    high humidity means that I can't ride for longer than about 30 minutes
    with a helmet on without getting extremely overheated and dehydrated.
    Without one I last about 3 hours which is far more satisfactory! Only
    problem is, if I hit my head I won't be lasting that long anymore.

    --
    ur

    Unicycling Revolution - JOIN THE REVOLUTION TODAY!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4199
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  6. 661 mullet

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  7. I concur, the 661 mullet is a great (and inexpensive) helmet with thick
    foam & plastic shell. I headbutted the edge of an open window last week
    and its still prefectly protective, despite the 3mm wide, 30mm long
    gash now present.

    Loose

    --
    Loosemoose

    Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
    Officially a  & ~ expert.

    _no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
    Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
    Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  8. I'm going to buy the Giro Flak helmet.
    I find it a fine and cool helmet.
    http://www.giro.com/main.html

    --
    Probailer2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Probailer2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11034
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  9. Good work loose, I can't wait to see that one.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  10. I got a Skid Lid. I got Lg/XL because I have a rather fat head. It listed
    the range of sizes a Large would fit (23 1/4 - 24 1/2). I measured my head,
    and it was in the range. But the helmet was way too small. Since it was only
    fifteen bucks, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to ship it back, so I
    gave it to my 5-year-old son.

    So all that to say, my experience with the Skid Lid is bad. It doesn't even
    feel like it would be comfortable if it did fit. I would avoid it... So I
    too am eagerly watching this thread hoping to hear some good recommendations
    on comfortable affordable helmets - especially for big heads!

    Has anyone tried the 661 Dirt Lid (seems the 661 Mullet is not available) or
    the Viking BMX helmet? They are around $20... but they are "one size fits
    all" with different size pads for different size heads. That concerns me a
    little :-/
    --
    Joseph Nichols

  11. Mace makes some pretty nice ones. www.macegear.com

    --
    madmattunipro

    If you are bored when you are alone, it's your own fault.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  12. I found the Giro Flak helmets, which are sweet lookin, for $30 with free
    shipping on Amazon.com so I gave my bro a link and it is my christmas
    gift from him.

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

    --
    JackOlsen
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JackOlsen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10930
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  13. ur said:

    Anyone know of a helmet that doesn't get super hot... Living in darwin
    during the wet season, in about 35 degrees celsius, and an extremely
    high humidity means that I can't ride for longer than about 30 minutes
    with a helmet on without getting extremely overheated and dehydrated.
    Without one I last about 3 hours which is far more satisfactory! Only
    problem is, if I hit my head I won't be lasting that long anymore.

    Giro E2, Atmos or Pneumo.

    I use a Giro Animas which is OK also.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

    "It's not a unicycle ride if it's less than 30km." - note to self
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

  14. my roommate (seager) has the pneumo and loves it. i've tried it on and
    it feels no warmer than a baseball cap. the atmos feels like wearing
    nothing at all. at least what i can gather from trying it on in the
    bike shop.

    check this out: http://tinyurl.com/8qj6u

    the bell scuffle and GT ollie are both under $10. worth a shot.

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44529

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.